• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are My Dad’s Old Comics Still Valuable? Silver age?
1 1

31 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, zosocane said:

I would be happy with $500 for all of them.  Could you get $600, $700?  Maybe.  More than that, maybe not.

He really loved those comics.  If your dad is still around, ask him which comic he loved the most, frame it for him and give him the framed comic as a "gift."

Thank you, that is a very cool idea. I might do something like that. 

My Son and Daughter will be in the same position one day only with a lot more books and with key issues so let me give you an idea of value from the 2015/2016 Overstreet Price Guide for what I feel are the keys in the books you listed.

Just for argument sake lets grade them all at GD 2.0.

Just remember, the price guide is only an average of what those books sold for in the given condition, if you sell them to a local comic shop you may only get 10 cents on the dollar, if you sell them thru eBay or an auction house you will get what someone is willing to pay for each issue at the time which could be less, equal to or more than the price guide.

Any collectible is only worth what a collector is willing to pay.

Books not listed below are anywhere from $1.00 - $9.00

Amazing Spider-Man

21 - $39.00

39/40 - $37.00

42 - $16.00

Avengers

26 - $27.00

Daredevil

13/14 - $10.00

16/17 - $17.00

Fantastic Four

49 - $42.00

51 - $21.00

53 - $19.00

54/56 - $12.00

65 - $15.00

Specials 4/5 - $12.00

Silver Surfer (Vol 1)

2 - $19.00

6/7/10 - $10.00

The X-Men

18 - $19.00

25/29 - $13.00

35 - $24.00

45/57 - $10.00

Hope This Helps.

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

My Son and Daughter will be in the same position one day only with a lot more books and with key issues so let me give you an idea of value from the 2015/2016 Overstreet Price Guide for what I feel are the keys in the books you listed.

Just for argument sake lets grade them all at GD 2.0.

Just remember, the price guide is only an average of what those books sold for in the given condition, if you sell them to a local comic shop you may only get 10 cents on the dollar, if you sell them thru eBay or an auction house you will get what someone is willing to pay for each issue at the time which could be less, equal to or more than the price guide.

Any collectible is only worth what a collector is willing to pay.

Books not listed below are anywhere from $1.00 - $9.00

Amazing Spider-Man

21 - $39.00

39/40 - $37.00

42 - $16.00

Avengers

26 - $27.00

Daredevil

13/14 - $10.00

16/17 - $17.00

Fantastic Four

49 - $42.00

51 - $21.00

53 - $19.00

54/56 - $12.00

65 - $15.00

Specials 4/5 - $12.00

Silver Surfer (Vol 1)

2 - $19.00

6/7/10 - $10.00

The X-Men

18 - $19.00

25/29 - $13.00

35 - $24.00

45/57 - $10.00

Hope This Helps.

This is very helpful. Than you for you input and reference. I think I am going to pack them in nice bags and boards and sit on them for a while. Maybe when more marvel movies get released or longer. As long as I can try to maintain or better their condition, they won’t ever depreciate any more than they already have. 

22 hours ago, Kinkeen said:

This is very helpful. Than you for you input and reference. I think I am going to pack them in nice bags and boards and sit on them for a while. Maybe when more marvel movies get released or longer. As long as I can try to maintain or better their condition, they won’t ever depreciate any more than they already have. 

If you use poly bags replace them every 5 years, if you use Mylites you are good forever but they cost a lot more.

Be sure to use backing boards to help protect the books from bending.

You can get combo poly bags/boards for a very reasonable amount.

Store the books in a controlled environment (not in a garage/basement/attic) and away from light and heat sources.

The amount of books you have will all fit in one short comic box.

Any other questions Please feel free to ask.

1 hour ago, marvelmaniac said:

If you use poly bags replace them every 5 years, if you use Mylites you are good forever but they cost a lot more.

Be sure to use backing boards to help protect the books from bending.

You can get combo poly bags/boards for a very reasonable amount.

Store the books in a controlled environment (not in a garage/basement/attic) and away from light and heat sources.

The amount of books you have will all fit in one short comic box.

Any other questions Please feel free to ask.

I have some comics that I got when I was a kid which would probably be considered current comics? These are in really good shape and wanted to know if any of these should be graded? Where can I post a list to ask which should be graded or not for selling purposes. 

10 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

What happened to mega keys like FF48, FF52, ASM50 and SS1?

My mom’s boyfriend when I was little said he found them in the basement, and he was the one that got me into collecting comics back then, so maybe my dad had a more complete set, and the boyfriend took the key issues before passing them on to me since I never knew they existed. 

12 minutes ago, Kinkeen said:

My mom’s boyfriend when I was little said he found them in the basement, and he was the one that got me into collecting comics back then, so maybe my dad had a more complete set, and the boyfriend took the key issues before passing them on to me since I never knew they existed. 

What an azzhole!

On 8/22/2018 at 11:46 AM, Kinkeen said:

My dad used to read comics a lot and so my guess was that these were all well loved and poorly stored but I wanted to know if their is any value besides sentiment in the following list of comics:

Basically just sentiment. But sentiment to me is big time. Why aren't you treasuring these as mementoes of your father?

???

15 minutes ago, Hepcat said:

Basically just sentiment. But sentiment to me is big time. Why aren't you treasuring these as mementoes of your father?

???

That may be what I end up doing, this the Mylite bags and backs. If I can only get a few dollars an issue on eBay, I won’t end up selling them, and I’ll just keep them nice and pass them along down the road.