• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buy at Cover Price

12 posts in this topic

I'm new to collecting comics, and I understand that old comics can be very expensive, but I notice some stores put their newly released comic books above the cover price. For example, the new Punisher is coming out today Aug 23, 2018. The price on the cover is $4.99, but some stores sell them at $50. Is there a place where I can buy newly released comic books at cover price? What is the point of putting the price on the cover, where no store sells them at that price? Thank You.
The-Punisher-1-1-in-50-Frank-Cho.jpg

1 hour ago, browijaya said:

I'm new to collecting comics, and I understand that old comics can be very expensive, but I notice some stores put their newly released comic books above the cover price. For example, the new Punisher is coming out today Aug 23, 2018. The price on the cover is $4.99, but some stores sell them at $50. Is there a place where I can buy newly released comic books at cover price? What is the point of putting the price on the cover, where no store sells them at that price? Thank You.

The picture in your post shows a variant cover. When they are new, most stores only offer variants for above cover price (how much above usually based on the ratio that limited the number they could order). If you wait, you will most likely eventually be able to get them much cheaper, including possibly for less than cover price.

I can't imagine you will have any problem finding a copy (of the regular version) of the issue for cover price.

3 hours ago, browijaya said:

That’s the Frank Cho 1:50 variant. 

There was a time when they were released at the suggested retail price, and you just came across them randomly in with the rest of the same issue. Unfortunately now it seems the variant covers are all pulled upon release, and about grabbing extra money for them.   ? 

BTW — Welcome to the Boards!!! :banana:

4 hours ago, nepatkm said:

There was a time when they were released at the suggested retail price, and you just came across them randomly in with the rest of the same issue. Unfortunately now it seems the variant covers are all pulled upon release, and about grabbing extra money for them.   ? 

8 hours ago, browijaya said:

I like Cho's covers normally, but there's not much happening with that cover. I prefer the regular cover over that one. $50? Save your money, but 1 regular copy for $4.99. Spend your other $45 buying other goodies. Or wait a couple of weeks & you'll probably be able to buy this dirt cheap on ebay.

The price of the variant cover subsidizes the regular covers. In fact, in many cases, if you wait a couple months the stores will have tons of copies of the regular version for pennies on the dollar because they had to order 50 of them in order to get one variant. I see stores all the time that have comics from the last year or two in 50 cent boxes by the hundreds. 

On 8/23/2018 at 2:42 PM, nepatkm said:

Thanks.