• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Timelys and deadbeat ebay bidders

16 posts in this topic

Without checking exactly, I figure I've sold over 100 books on ebay in the last year, maybe 6 or 8 of them Timelys.  The only four non-paying bidders I've had were all for Timely books. Is this just a fluke, or do they attract a particular kind of non-buyer xD

Except for having to file cases, it doesn't really bother me much, as I enjoy having them around, and they always sell eventually, but has anyone else had this experience, even a general increase in buyers flaking on GA books. I don't think it ever happened before the last year to me, but I didn't use to sell much.

Huh, that's interesting. News to me, but I guess I can imagine Timelys having a 'coolness factor' that draws in thrill bids from some younger SA/BA Marvel collectors who don't have the means to pay for them.

Very recently, Gary Dolgoff, in conjunction with Superworld, offered up some nice lower grade Timely’s on eBay. Many of these books “sold” for very healthy prices, only for many to be resisted for what I assume were multiple shill bids and then nonpayment.  They ended up still selling, but many for quite a bit less. I would be wary currently of Timely eBay auctions as there does seem to be some manipulation going on by 1 or more accounts. This is all just my own conjecture based on observation. 

Edited by jr81784

4 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I wonder what the values of the books being sold are, as the Timely books are likely more valuable than others.

Top 10 books you listed for sale and that sold by value.

All between 300 and 1750, maybe 20% of sales on ebay in that price range. True, most of what I sell there is under 300, which may be less likely to result in NPBs.

Its been a couple of years, but I sold a Captain America comics #38 on eBay, and like three times in a row a different bidder ID won the auction and never paid.  It was really weird, like someone was just trying to keep me from really selling it.

I finally took it down and waited a few months and eventually relisted it.

9 hours ago, rjpb said:

Without checking exactly, I figure I've sold over 100 books on ebay in the last year, maybe 6 or 8 of them Timelys.  The only four non-paying bidders I've had were all for Timely books. Is this just a fluke, or do they attract a particular kind of non-buyer xD

Except for having to file cases, it doesn't really bother me much, as I enjoy having them around, and they always sell eventually, but has anyone else had this experience, even a general increase in buyers flaking on GA books. I don't think it ever happened before the last year to me, but I didn't use to sell much.

So, let me get this straight, ...you're saying they're NOT timely?  :wink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America

5 hours ago, path4play said:

Its been a couple of years, but I sold a Captain America comics #38 on eBay, and like three times in a row a different bidder ID won the auction and never paid.  It was really weird, like someone was just trying to keep me from really selling it.

That is evil, topped by evil sauce, with a side dish of evil.

17 hours ago, jr81784 said:

Very recently, Gary Dolgoff, in conjunction with Superworld, offered up some nice lower grade Timely’s on eBay. Many of these books “sold” for very healthy prices, only for many to be resisted for what I assume were multiple shill bids and then nonpayment.  They ended up still selling, but many for quite a bit less. I would be wary currently of Timely eBay auctions as there does seem to be some manipulation going on by 1 or more accounts. This is all just my own conjecture based on observation. 

Are you saying Superworld and Dolgoff are using shill bidders, in your opinion? Or third parties are playing games with their listings?

On another collector board I belong to, it's been discussed that in recent times there seems to be more eBay bidders punking when it comes time to pay, than in earlier days.  I had offered a crime book, can't remember if it was All Famous Police Cases or Crime Does Not Pay, just a reader copy starting at 20 bucks, and two bidders drove it up to a little over $40.  Then the winner wouldn't pay, and the 2nd chance offer to the underbidder went lacking.

So I guess it's just an unfortunate sign of the times, where not everyone takes the agreement that a bid is a binding commitment seriously.