• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How High Can They Go?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

I recently added a sweet McSpidey cover to my collection and have been looking for a nice Lee Batman cover and I am continually surprised at how fast and high prices are going up for these guys and other top tier artists. Is there an end in sight or should I dive in ASAP cuz it will never get cheaper than it is right now?  I am sure that this question has been asked to death but it boggles my mind so asking it again ;) Tell me what to do!     

35 minutes ago, Stan Singh said:

I recently added a sweet McSpidey cover to my collection and have been looking for a nice Lee Batman cover and I am continually surprised at how fast and high prices are going up for these guys and other top tier artists. Is there an end in sight or should I dive in ASAP cuz it will never get cheaper than it is right now?  I am sure that this question has been asked to death but it boggles my mind so asking it again ;) Tell me what to do!     

Dive in now on the Lee cover. 

1 hour ago, Stan Singh said:

Unless everyone unloads all their Jim Lee art all at once, I'd say prices are going to continue going up in the short term. Just looking at HA prices from 5 years ago, there has been a significant spike in prices. All I want is a decent X-Men or Hush page and prices are climbing to the point where I'm not sure if I am comfortable dropping a significant amount to cash to acquire it. I don't see prices dropping appreciably in the next 3-5 years, so jump on it if one strikes your fancy.

Simply from an economic perspective, you have to think prices flatten once the cost of cash really begins to creep up over the next few years as it is currently planned to do. Not that I know from a great deal of personal experience, but academically, if people have other attractive options around what to do with large sums of cash, some of those options will win out over comic art... but going with the previously established analogy... this isn't applicable for the unredeemable rock hounds among us.

For the life of me, I can't find the thread now.  But there was an interesting thread in Comics General about the price compression between high grade copies of keys and lower grade copies.  Where the multiples between 9.8 and 7.0 for IH181 has gone from like x100 to x10 (or there-abouts) which is amazing, and the difference between a 9.8 and a 4.0 the gap is still larger, but has closed even more . 

It makes me wonder if the theory that the blue chip stuff is going to go up and the B level stuff is what's going to stagnate or falter.  I think the "A" level stuff will eventually hit a logical apex, it can't go up forever, but I do think we have a ways to get there as well.  And as those new highs are being reached, people will still want their example, but in the case of Jim Lee instead of getting a hush or x-men page because they are just out of reasonable reach, things like Wild CATS and his modern stuff starts to really escalate in value.

Dynamics are going to keep changing, but I think 15-20 years seems fairly reasonable for continued growth, as the 30-40 year olds in the hobby start hitting 50-60 and are starting to think about downsizing.

35 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

For the life of me, I can't find the thread now.  But there was an interesting thread in Comics General about the price compression between high grade copies of keys and lower grade copies.  Where the multiples between 9.8 and 7.0 for IH181 has gone from like x100 to x10 (or there-abouts) which is amazing, and the difference between a 9.8 and a 4.0 the gap is still larger, but has closed even more . 

It makes me wonder if the theory that the blue chip stuff is going to go up and the B level stuff is what's going to stagnate or falter.  I think the "A" level stuff will eventually hit a logical apex, it can't go up forever, but I do think we have a ways to get there as well.  And as those new highs are being reached, people will still want their example, but in the case of Jim Lee instead of getting a hush or x-men page because they are just out of reasonable reach, things like Wild CATS and his modern stuff starts to really escalate in value.

Dynamics are going to keep changing, but I think 15-20 years seems fairly reasonable for continued growth, as the 30-40 year olds in the hobby start hitting 50-60 and are starting to think about downsizing.

I have seen the blue chip explosion as well - almost any grade of comic is becoming increasingly desirable for those books. It's why I will probably never put together a Hulk 1-6 set. 

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

This dynamic doesn't apply very much to OA, I think. A 9.8 copy of Hulk 181 is virtually identical to a 7.5 copy (except for some minor wear and tear). People who collect COMICS may want to have a copy of Hulk 181 and are not that picky about it being a 9.8. Thus, the demand for it in lower grades explodes, and you see price compression. Because OA is unique, I'm not sure how this dynamic would play out. But, you could see people who just want a Byrne X-Men page start to bid up the talking head, out of costume stuff from the lesser storylines, just because they want an example. But the very reason why the vast majority of collectors WANT a Byrne X-Men page in the first place is for the costumed action, and/or important storylines. 

But, I guess the recent Killing Joke p. 1 sale kind of cuts against that thesis. Even the lesser pages from such books are starting to get bid up astronomically.

20 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Asking a bunch of crackheads if you should smoke crack is probably a bad idea... just saying.

1317835976_chapelle2.gif.32fafedbf73b96b90388b26c9fdb611c.gif

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

This dynamic doesn't apply very much to OA, I think. A 9.8 copy of Hulk 181 is virtually identical to a 7.5 copy (except for some minor wear and tear). People who collect COMICS may want to have a copy of Hulk 181 and are not that picky about it being a 9.8. Thus, the demand for it in lower grades explodes, and you see price compression. Because OA is unique, I'm not sure how this dynamic would play out. But, you could see people who just want a Byrne X-Men page start to bid up the talking head, out of costume stuff from the lesser storylines, just because they want an example. But the very reason why the vast majority of collectors WANT a Byrne X-Men page in the first place is for the costumed action, and/or important storylines. 

But, I guess the recent Killing Joke p. 1 sale kind of cuts against that thesis. Even the lesser pages from such books are starting to get bid up astronomically.

I disagree on a few of your points.

When I started collecting, talking to older collectors it was always discussed how collecting is a pyramid, you build a collection over time.  Building it up by starting at the bottom.  I know the hobby has changed, but I still think this is true.  My point is the apex of many people's pyramid might be a "B" or "C" example, but they're still willing to drop higher numbers than exist today.

If an A page was is 50k,, a B 20k and C is 5.  let's just call that a normal multipler.

If things keep going, and an A is 750k, B is 70k, and a C is 15k,   I can see a realistic world where those prices compress where A has little more room to grow people fighting for the B and C examples will cause those prices to catch up.  This is what has happened in comics.

And yes, a IH181 9.8 is Venom vs Spider-man action page and a 4.0 is an Infinity Inc page.  No one wanted a 4.0 10 years ago, they were snubbed and not cared about at all.

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

I disagree on a few of your points.

When I started collecting, talking to older collectors it was always discussed how collecting is a pyramid, you build a collection over time.  Building it up by starting at the bottom.  I know the hobby has changed, but I still think this is true.  My point is the apex of many people's pyramid might be a "B" or "C" example, but they're still willing to drop higher numbers than exist today.

If an A page was is 50k,, a B 20k and C is 5.  let's just call that a normal multipler.

If things keep going, and an A is 750k, B is 70k, and a C is 15k,   I can see a realistic world where those prices compress where A has little more room to grow people fighting for the B and C examples will cause those prices to catch up.  This is what has happened in comics.

And yes, a IH181 9.8 is Venom vs Spider-man action page and a 4.0 is an Infinity Inc page.  No one wanted a 4.0 10 years ago, they were snubbed and not cared about at all.

A Ham & Egger can only build up a super collection over time if they guess right on their entry level pages (or get lucky) and some decent portion of them become valuable. Then they have trade bait, or can sell them to finance bigger trade up purchases. If you don't get lucky, you don't get to do that. 

On 8/28/2018 at 8:42 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

that's a great cover

can I ask what that cost you? was it cash or trade or cash/trade?

And while he's at it, how much does he make a year? does he wear boxers or briefs? and where does he come down in the less filling/tastes great debate?

Some things are just not meant for public discussion. 

Edited by comix4fun