• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How High Can They Go?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I’d wager at least $500. 

Is that with or without shipping? 

23 minutes ago, comix4fun said:
1 hour ago, Mr. Machismo said:

I’d wager at least $500. 

Is that with or without shipping? 

If you're spending massive bucks like $500, surely shipping must be included?!

Just now, tth2 said:

If you're spending massive bucks like $500, surely shipping must be included?!

You'd think, right? 

4 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Really? I thought we discuss price ALL THE TIME here. He can ask whatever he wants. The OP doesn't have to answer publicly or he can PM him a polite, "I'd rather not say." That's his call.

5-6 responses making fun of a (relatively) new poster on a perceived etiquette breach is not a great way to invite people into the hobby.

Actually, yes, really. 

We do discuss prices here all the time, of pieces that change hands publicly, or from people volunteering information about their personal deals. 

We don't, as far back and I can see or remember, commonly or regularly have people attempting to pull private information into the public domain. And, really, posting that information here puts it in the public domain, and the poster should know that if he's going to ask it. 

And, honestly, if the light call out of an improper line of questioning dissuades the poster from becoming a part of the hobby then I can only assume it's his first week on the internet in general because there's nothing caustic about letting him know the question was out of line, and it was. 

I don't have a different set of rules of etiquette here than I do in the face to face or other real world communication. So it's not how I perceive proper communication is handled just on the boards, it's pretty much common parlance and decorum in all walks of life and arenas to not roll up on someone you don't know, haven't met, and who doesn't know you and ask for the details of his business or hobby dealings including prices and trade pieces involved. 

7 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Really? I thought we discuss price ALL THE TIME here. He can ask whatever he wants. The OP doesn't have to answer publicly or he can PM him a polite, "I'd rather not say." That's his call.

5-6 responses making fun of a (relatively) new poster on a perceived etiquette breach is not a great way to invite people into the hobby.

Agreed, especially given the subject of the thread.

"How high do you think these can go?"

"What did you pay?"

**Monocles drop**

Edited by Greenlake

1 hour ago, Greenlake said:

Agreed, especially given the subject of the thread.

"How high do you think these can go?"

"What did you pay?"

**Monocles drop**

How high can these go?   At public auction.

What did you pay?  In a deal that was private. 

Doesn't feel the same.

Sort of like the difference between 1) sitting at an auction and watching pieces sell and noting the sale price and  2) walking up to two guys you don't know at a convention who did a deal and asking for all the details of their transaction that they weren't otherwise volunteering. 

Do people do that? Ask total strangers for private details of business transactions and seek a public answer? Do they think it's appropriate? 

Edited by comix4fun

On the McSpidey note, I made a serious effort at the splash page for Tec #578 on HA a couple of weeks ago. It is the first page (at least published) that McFarlane ever inked his own pencils, and the whole issue is a delight. It was in the shadow of that fantastic Spidey #312 page, so I was reallllly hoping to get it for a decent price. But, alas, it wasn't meant to be. 

I had to content myself with the Sam Kieth MCP page instead. 

I talked to Mignola about the Batman #426 cover at SDCC. He laughed when he saw the auction estimate of $20k+. He said that he would have sold a cover like that for $300. It, of course, sold for substantially more than $20k. Sigh.

By the way....did anyone notice that the Spidey #300 cover sold in June on HA through their "make owner an offer" function for $250k?

8 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

By the way....did anyone notice that the Spidey #300 cover sold in June on HA through their "make owner an offer" function for $250k?

OMG. Choke. 

Now I know where all those new Federal tax refunds went.

19 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Do people do that? Ask total strangers for private details of business transactions and seek a public answer? Do they think it's appropriate? 

I mean, once it gets brought up in a public forum you kind of open yourself up to it imo. And i believe the issue in question was others shaming said poster and not allowing op to respond in kind. I feel like this is more of a generational thing as well, as I'm much more open about purchases/finances etc than my parents were (that was not cool even within my household growing up lol). 

23 minutes ago, awayne83 said:

I mean, once it gets brought up in a public forum you kind of open yourself up to it imo. And i believe the issue in question was others shaming said poster and not allowing op to respond in kind. I feel like this is more of a generational thing as well, as I'm much more open about purchases/finances etc than my parents were (that was not cool even within my household growing up lol). 

All i can tell you is my wife knows I paid exactly $100 for each piece of art I own.

:jokealert:

21 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

What is strange is that it originally said $185K on the website in the days following Dinesh posting the cover on CAF (I saw it myself).  It was later changed to $250K.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:43 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:

On the McSpidey note, I made a serious effort at the splash page for Tec #578 on HA a couple of weeks ago. It is the first page (at least published) that McFarlane ever inked his own pencils, and the whole issue is a delight. It was in the shadow of that fantastic Spidey #312 page, so I was reallllly hoping to get it for a decent price. But, alas, it wasn't meant to be. 

I had to content myself with the Sam Kieth MCP page instead.

I'm not a fan of that Tec #578 splash, but the ASM #312 page went for a rather fair price.

Did you get the MCP #87 Wolvie page? I thought that was well bought.

Edited by Dick O.

4 hours ago, awayne83 said:

What was brought up in a public forum? Someone asked what Spider-man cover he owned. He pointed to his CAF. He didn't sign a waiver to all privacy regarding the transaction because he linked to his CAF gallery. 

On my part there was no "shaming" the poster who asked him what he paid, and how much was cash and how much was trade. I pointed out the lack of discretion in the question and the inappropriate nature of asking a stranger to disclose private business transactions in this setting and did so in the most lighthearted way possible. That's not shaming. My correction was to point out that desire to know something isn't the same thing as being entitled to know it. And, really, someone would have to have egg shell thin feelings to get them bruised by my pointing that out the way I did. 

I don't believe displaying the common courtesy of minding boundaries between complete strangers on significant money being spent in private transactions is "generational". It's actually pretty much timeless. 

Edited by comix4fun

24 minutes ago, O. said:

I'm not a fan of that Tec #578 splash, but the ASM #312 page went for a rather fair price.

Did you get the MCP #87 Wolvie page? I thought that was well bought.

That Tec #578 splash isn't the greatest piece (but oh, that last page!), but it IS a McFarlane, one of the few Bat books he did, and I don't own any McFarlanes....I made the high bidder earn it, though. 

I'm not a rich guy, so spending that kind of money tends to make my heart stop a bit. I was willing to go to the mat for the Batman #426 cover, but it was already at $28,000 by the time it reached live bidding, and I couldn't even remotely justify spending that kind of money. The next bid would have made it $35,000. That's more than a lot of people earn in a year.

I did get the MCP #87 piece, and I'm glad I wasn't outbid. :)

No Wolvie...technically...but a bunch of Cyber panels, and a beautiful Sam Kieth lady as the centerpiece, so I love it.