• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How High Can They Go?
1 1

53 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2018 at 3:29 PM, BCarter27 said:
On 8/28/2018 at 10:39 PM, comix4fun said:

Somethings are just not meant for public discussion. 

Really? I thought we discuss price ALL THE TIME here. He can ask whatever he wants. The OP doesn't have to answer publicly or he can PM him a polite, "I'd rather not say." That's his call.

5-6 responses making fun of a (relatively) new poster on a perceived etiquette breach is not a great way to invite people into the hobby.

drdonaldblake1 is not a new poster. He's been on this board longer than I have. He created a new username when the new boards went live and never synced it up with his old board name. 

Edited by Jerkfro

7 hours ago, comix4fun said:

What was brought up in a public forum? Someone asked what Spider-man cover he owned. He pointed to his CAF. He didn't sign a waiver to all privacy regarding the transaction because he linked to his CAF gallery. 

On my part there was no "shaming" the poster who asked him what he paid, and how much was cash and how much was trade. I pointed out the lack of discretion in the question and the inappropriate nature of asking a stranger to disclose private business transactions in this setting and did so in the most lighthearted way possible. That's not shaming. My correction was to point out that desire to know something isn't the same thing as being entitled to know it. And, really, someone would have to have egg shell thin feelings to get them bruised by my pointing that out the way I did. 

I don't believe displaying the common courtesy of minding boundaries between complete strangers on significant money being spent in private transactions is "generational". It's actually pretty much timeless. 

Maybe shaming was the wrong term. Is finger wagging more appropriate? The point is you felt necessary to jump in to a situation op could have easily handled himself. And no, i don't think what you said was harsh, just unnecessary. Lastly the person who questioned is certainly not entitled to an answer, that much we can agree on, but just bringing it up is not the faux pas some of you are making it out to be, imo of course.

2 hours ago, awayne83 said:

Maybe shaming was the wrong term. Is finger wagging more appropriate? The point is you felt necessary to jump in to a situation op could have easily handled himself. And no, i don't think what you said was harsh, just unnecessary. Lastly the person who questioned is certainly not entitled to an answer, that much we can agree on, but just bringing it up is not the faux pas some of you are making it out to be, imo of course.

Oddly, from this board's first day live to the present, that's how it has worked. Someone posts something they are inviting commentary, judgment, and (perhaps) disagreement as to what they posted, not from just their intended conversational target, but from everyone. If they didn't want to invite commentary on what they posted then they'd send it privately. 

This board has always, from year 1, self-administered, without requirement that only the person targeted by a post be the only one who can respond. Which is exactly what you've done, preempting the guy who asked for the inside dirt on an art deal publicly, and finger-wagging when he could have easily handled it himself. Which is completely fine of you to do. That is the social construct of these boards and that's always been especially true in the "social faux pas" arena. 

Everyone, at any time, can feel free to "jump into a situation" because they are posted for all to see on a discussion board. And if you re-read my post on this topic (forever to be known as "finger-wagging post exhibit: A" lol ) you'll see I mentioned that he asked a question best left to being asked in private. That's pretty much it. Maybe he didn't know there'd be some objection to asking it publicly, but he does now. Knowing what's what is always better than being left in the dark, regardless of how polite the dark might be. 

14 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Oddly, from this board's first day live to the present, that's how it has worked. Someone posts something they are inviting commentary, judgment, and (perhaps) disagreement as to what they posted, not from just their intended conversational target, but from everyone. If they didn't want to invite commentary on what they posted then they'd send it privately. 

This board has always, from year 1, self-administered, without requirement that only the person targeted by a post be the only one who can respond. Which is exactly what you've done, preempting the guy who asked for the inside dirt on an art deal publicly, and finger-wagging when he could have easily handled it himself. Which is completely fine of you to do. That is the social construct of these boards and that's always been especially true in the "social faux pas" arena. 

Everyone, at any time, can feel free to "jump into a situation" because they are posted for all to see on a discussion board. And if you re-read my post on this topic (forever to be known as "finger-wagging post exhibit: A" lol ) you'll see I mentioned that he asked a question best left to being asked in private. That's pretty much it. Maybe he didn't know there'd be some objection to asking it publicly, but he does now. Knowing what's what is always better than being left in the dark, regardless of how polite the dark might be. 

Lol. It's all good. I just wanted to point out that mindset wasn't all encompassing. Social etiquettes by nature vary from culture, setting, generation etc. I also didn't mean to single you out (others made similar comments) but you were the only one open to dialogue it seems, so naturally the conversation steered your way. I'm all for free and open internet!! Keep the comments (and opinions!!) coming!

Just now, awayne83 said:

Lol. It's all good. I just wanted to point out that mindset wasn't all encompassing. Social etiquettes by nature vary from culture, setting, generation etc. I also didn't mean to single you out (others made similar comments) but you were the only one open to dialogue it seems, so naturally the conversation steered your way. I'm all for free and open internet!! Keep the comments (and opinions!!) coming!

I hope you took that "finger wagging exhibit A" in jest, because I was just joking around. 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:36 PM, comix4fun said:

walking up to two guys you don't know at a convention who did a deal and asking for all the details of their transaction that they weren't otherwise volunteering. 

Do people do that? Ask total strangers for private details of business transactions and seek a public answer? Do they think it's appropriate? 

Yes, yes, and yes.   Happens all the time in artist alleys. 

There is a whole facebook group dedicated to publicly disseminating how much people paid for art.

14 minutes ago, eewwnuk said:

Yes, yes, and yes.   Happens all the time in artist alleys. 

There is a whole facebook group dedicated to publicly disseminating how much people paid for art.

How many times do people answer complete strangers? I've frequented artists alleys for decades, and I've seen what you describe. It's almost always followed by (from the people being questioned) some combination of a nervous laugh, disgusted facial expression, or colorful expression regarding a wish for the person asking the question to perform an act of violent self-love. 

I belong to that facebook group. 99% of the things being posted are less than $1,000. I'd think the size of the deal may make a difference as to how readily people disclose details to strangers. I know the rules of that group have prevented me from participating. 

24 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

How many times do people answer complete strangers? I've frequented artists alleys for decades, and I've seen what you describe. It's almost always followed by (from the people being questioned) some combination of a nervous laugh, disgusted facial expression, or colorful expression regarding a wish for the person asking the question to perform an act of violent self-love. 

I belong to that facebook group. 99% of the things being posted are less than $1,000. I'd think the size of the deal may make a difference as to how readily people disclose details to strangers. I know the rules of that group have prevented me from participating. 

People don't usually disclose how much they paid for something (unless it's a public auction), because of three reasons:

1. They overpaid, and don't want to get criticized for overpaying (or be embarrassed);

2. They may, at some point, sell the page and don't want anyone to know what they have put into it.

3. They don't want to disclose their business to strangers on the internets (or at conventions). This is kind of a personal question for hobbyists. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

Just now, PhilipB2k17 said:

People don't usually disclose how much they paid for something (unless it's a public auction), because of three reasons:

1. They overpaid, and don't want to get criticized for overpaying (or be embarrassed);

2. They may, at some point, sell the page and don't want anyone to know what they have put into it.

3. They don't want to disclose their business to strangers on the internets (or at conventions). This is kind of a personal question for hobbyists. 

All true, and I would add from personal experience:

4) they are still in the market for that particular artist, title, era and don't want to push the market higher by disclosing recent higher sales while they are still in acquisition mode.

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

All true, and I would add from personal experience:

4) they are still in the market for that particular artist, title, era and don't want to push the market higher by disclosing recent higher sales while they are still in acquisition mode.

I think that is more true for the more high end collectors than for us Ham and Eggers. But, that said, my purchase of a page at Heritage last year (low/mid 3 figures, LOL!) seems to have re-set the market on similar art! (shrug)

15 minutes ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

I think that is more true for the more high end collectors than for us Ham and Eggers. But, that said, my purchase of a page at Heritage last year (low/mid 3 figures, LOL!) seems to have re-set the market on similar art! (shrug)

I find it true at any level. If I am actively chasing something the last thing I want to do is take any action that I might perceive to drive up what I have to pay for my next purchase(s)