• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question about Wolverine #1 and other stuff

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to maybe help me out. OK so the 1st thing I am curious about, is about mark jeweler variants. Now I searched around and didn't find anything on a wolverine vol 1 issue #1mj. I am asking because the Wolverine I have has a nice big old 2 page ad right in the middle. And then the second question is what grades would a comic get for #1 brand new never opened and has no damage whatsoever #2 a comic in original wrapping but opened once and put back into storage and #3 brand new spotless comic book without any plastic or maybe missing Topps cards or something like that.

1.  Wolverine 1 falls into the time period within which mark jeweler ads were a thing.  So it almost certainly exists.  In theory, the tougher it is to find info on it, the likely more rare it is, and probably more valuable.  You can probably go to the 'bronze' or 'copper' subforum to find threads on mark jewelers's?  or run google searches and do deep dives to find info on Wolverine 1.

2.  The grade depends on the condition of a comic.  The closer it looks to having been just printed, the higher the grade.  In general you want no bends, breaks, tears, marks, fading, curls, creases or spine ticks.  And it should lay flat with sharp corners, obviously without any restoration and all the pages.  it doesn't matter if you think its never been opened or if its in its 'original wrapping'*.  Those are non-factors when it comes to the grade.  If you want to learn more about how to grade a comic, you can look for 'overstreet grading' (google it!) or go to the CGC website.  Additionally, if you want to take multiple pictures of each comic and post them in the 'Please Grade My COMIC' subforum, you can get an opinion about what others think the grades might be.

3.  If a given comic had a card originally attached to the comic, then without the card the comic would be considered 'incomplete', though it would technically not affect the actual grade of the comic.  This would make the comic less desirable and consequently less valuable to most collectors, but to varying degrees depending on the comic. 

4.  In the event that your next question is about potential value of comics, please look up completed sales on ebay to get an idea.

* The condition isn't affected by whether or not the comic is in it's original wrapping, but in SOME cases a comic is worth more if it comes in its original packaging.  But a lot of novices think a bag and board that hasn't been opened for 30 years is original wrapping.  It usually isn't.  If a comic comes in SEALED packaging you might have something somewhat more special.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 5:20 AM, Tim992 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bHey everyone, thanks for taking the time to maybe help me out. OK so the 1st thing I am curious about, is about mark jeweler variants. Now I searched around and didn't find anything on a wolverine vol 1 issue #1mj. I am asking because the Wolverine I have has a nice big old 2 page ad right in the middle. And then the second question is what grades would a comic get for #1 brand new never opened and has no damage whatsoever #2 a comic in original wrapping but opened once and put back into storage and #3 brand new spotless comic book without any plastic or maybe missing Topps cards or something like that.

I don't believe you will find a Wolverine #1 with the insert.  Not all new comics made it to Stars and Stripes newsstands overseas until well into their run.  When I was stationed in Germany, Wolverine was well into being published a year or so and no copies were available on military newsstands when I got there.  I think the first Wolverine I saw on the newsstand was well into the 30s or so.  And I bought the comic and have none with the insert.  

Jim

20 hours ago, awe4one said:
On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:20 AM, Tim992 said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=31b352271b3a5a4bHey everyone, thanks for taking the time to maybe help me out. OK so the 1st thing I am curious about, is about mark jeweler variants. Now I searched around and didn't find anything on a wolverine vol 1 issue #1mj. I am asking because the Wolverine I have has a nice big old 2 page ad right in the middle. And then the second question is what grades would a comic get for #1 brand new never opened and has no damage whatsoever #2 a comic in original wrapping but opened once and put back into storage and #3 brand new spotless comic book without any plastic or maybe missing Topps cards or something like that.

I don't believe you will find a Wolverine #1 with the insert.  Not all new comics made it to Stars and Stripes newsstands overseas until well into their run.  When I was stationed in Germany, Wolverine was well into being published a year or so and no copies were available on military newsstands when I got there.  I think the first Wolverine I saw on the newsstand was well into the 30s or so.  And I bought the comic and have none with the insert.  

Jim

sounds like IF it exists, its probably quite rare. I personally wasn't too sure if the OP is talking about the limited series or the unlimited (I don't know if one is more likely to have one than another). IF the OP really thinks he has one, it sounds like its probably worth it to send into CGC to get graded then to ensure authenticity.

It looks like there's an unlimited one on ebay, but it doesn't really seem to show the MJ insert as I've understood them to look, and the seller is clearly lying/misinformed about the grade. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLVERINE-1-1988-1ST-WOLVERINE-AS-PATCH-Rare-Mark-Jeweler-Variant/163222526264?hash=item2600d21938:g:aDIAAOSwE1BbgxP9

my guess is whoever buys this one won't be happy on multiple accounts.  But what do I know?  I've always thought Mark Jeweler's insert is an actual ad for jewelry.  It wasn't shown in the pictures here. 

22 hours ago, revat said:

sounds like IF it exists, its probably quite rare. I personally wasn't too sure if the OP is talking about the limited series or the unlimited (I don't know if one is more likely to have one than another). IF the OP really thinks he has one, it sounds like its probably worth it to send into CGC to get graded then to ensure authenticity.

It looks like there's an unlimited one on ebay, but it doesn't really seem to show the MJ insert as I've understood them to look, and the seller is clearly lying/misinformed about the grade. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WOLVERINE-1-1988-1ST-WOLVERINE-AS-PATCH-Rare-Mark-Jeweler-Variant/163222526264?hash=item2600d21938:g:aDIAAOSwE1BbgxP9

my guess is whoever buys this one won't be happy on multiple accounts.  But what do I know?  I've always thought Mark Jeweler's insert is an actual ad for jewelry.  It wasn't shown in the pictures here. 

It doesn't have a MJI.  That's just an ad.

Jim