• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Russ Heath, DC War legend, passes away at 91
3 3

83 posts in this topic

The first GI Joe comic I ever read off the rack was issue 64.  I loved the art inside, it was so detailed!  I did not know until later that Russ Heath drew the interior art.  I asked him to sign this at the Long Beach con where I was able to visit with him for a good long time.   

IMG_7303.JPG

13 hours ago, tv horror said:

Someone should try to document the lives of the remaining comic pioneers in a documentary before it's too late, think of the knowledge that these people have and the lives they led. I'm somewhat new to the history of the comic industry and I'm the first to admit that I learn something new everyday on this forum. So I for one would enjoy supporting such a project.

That is an excellent idea...

On 8/24/2018 at 9:33 PM, jools&jim said:

I wish!

No, very sorry...nicked it from here:

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1085834

Bad form, maybe...but I hope the owner won't mind, given that it's in sincere and heartfelt tribute to a fallen great...  (thumbsu

I don't mind at all.  It currently off the wall as I had to make room for something else.  It will be rehung elsewhere. 

On 8/25/2018 at 10:25 AM, OV said:

The first GI Joe comic I ever read off the rack was issue 64.  I loved the art inside, it was so detailed!  I did not know until later that Russ Heath drew the interior art.  I asked him to sign this at the Long Beach con where I was able to visit with him for a good long time.   

IMG_7303.JPG

Too funny. The first comic I read off the rack was GI Joe 24 with art by Heath. I just found out a few months ago he had drawn that. And I’ve been collecting his covers for a few years now lol 

This Spring I was fortunate enough to spend a few hours in car with Al Milgrom  (who is just such a nice, nice man). At one point I asked if he ever knew Russ Heath. He knew him very well and had a funny story about him. Russ liked to get his drink on and chase women! Heath actually drew a comic strip in Playboy for awhile and somehow managed to move into the Playboy mansion until Hef kicked him out! I guess Hef approaches him one day and asked who he was and why was he living in the mansion. Heath replied that he drew a comic strip for Playboy to which Hef said that we have a lot of people who draw for us but that doesn’t mean they get to live here. Get out! lol