• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the most you'd consider to pay for "coverless" keys

25 posts in this topic

Obiviously, condition of the wraps, color and overall appearance plays a large part in the decision (as) does the book it's so let's assume we are talking about a book everyone would want in any condition if it were a CGC 0.5

- Action 1, 7, 10, 13 & Superman 1

- Detective 27 - 38, Batman 1

- All - Star Comics 3, 8

These are the examples to start, obviously you could consider SA keys as well or even more GA keys, but what factors make them appealing and with most missing wraps, pages, the discoloration etc. What is FMV when considering coverless keys?

Edited by cgriffith

and how many of those cover's get parried out to page by page graded slabs, and with more recent issues being also signed.....

If they were cheap enough to slab (I mean what tier?), I'd consider it --- in order to still be able to read it....but still sell as a whole book, (all slabs together), :makepoint: that might make a difference on how much that I would pay :foryou: 

Seeing that a coverless copy still gets .5 when graded? and I think as other's have pointed out that they wouldn't buy a .5 due to it being the "bare minimum" and nothing lower....

it's a toughy...

but I would look at the bare minimum and start there....

22 minutes ago, cgriffith said:

- Action 7, 10, 13

What's interesting about these keys is that the only difference between them and Action 8, 11, and 14 is the cover.  If you have coverless copies of Action 7, 10, or 13... you lose 100% of the thing that makes them keys.  I think those particular coverless books lose far more of their value than other books which are still keys without their covers.

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:

What's interesting about these keys is that the only difference between them and Action 8, 11, and 14 is the cover.  If you have coverless copies of Action 7, 10, or 13... you lose 100% of the thing that makes them keys.  I think those particular coverless books lose far more of their value than other books which are still keys without their covers.

Wouldn't that be the same for Tec 29, 31 (especially), 33 as well? But then a book like AF 15 or All-Star #8 may have more demand because of the character origin/appearance.

Well since I would consider a purple Af15, I might as well consider a coverless copy that I could marry later. I'd probably go 5k tops if it wasn't brittle. Of course I'd take an Action or Detective, but even coverless I can't imagine what they would still go for. 

1 minute ago, cgriffith said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Wouldn't that be the same for Tec 29, 31 (especially), 33 as well? But then a book like AF 15 or All-Star #8 may have more demand because of the character origin/appearance.

I don't think it's necessarily the same for Tec 29, since that's still the 3rd Batman even without a cover.  Absolutely Tec 31 and 33 would be far lower valued as coverless books, they should cost about the same as a coverless Tec 32, except that a coverless Tec 31, 33, or Action 7, 10, 13 has the potential to be "revived" with a married cover, while a coverless Tec 32 can't become a Batman cover with its original replaced.

5 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't think it's necessarily the same for Tec 29, since that's still the 3rd Batman even without a cover.  Absolutely Tec 31 and 33 would be far lower valued as coverless books, they should cost about the same as a coverless Tec 32, except that a coverless Tec 31, 33, or Action 7, 10, 13 has the potential to be "revived" with a married cover, while a coverless Tec 32 can't become a Batman cover with its original replaced.

Very true that those examples "could be" revived but how often do we see a cover just by itself for those issues? I know currently there is a trimmed Batman 1 cover listed but that's not the front even then it's not the complete cover

Edited by cgriffith

7 minutes ago, cgriffith said:

Very true that those examples "could be" revived but how often do we see a cover just by itself for those issues? I know currently there is a trimmed Batman 1 cover listed but that's not the front even then it's not the complete cover

Right.  I have seen the prices for coverless Action 10 or Action 13, for example, and they're still using a percentage of the Good or VG pricing.  If you lose the cover to one of those, it seems like you might as well discount a coverless Action #9 to set the price for the #10 or the #13. hm

9 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Right.  I have seen the prices for coverless Action 10 or Action 13, for example, and they're still using a percentage of the Good or VG pricing.  If you lose the cover to one of those, it seems like you might as well discount a coverless Action #9 to set the price for the #10 or the #13. hm

Very interesting thought. 

8 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Meanwhile, a coverless All-Star #8 still contains 100% of what makes it key. (thumbsu

Exactly, and would still hold value assuming it is still complete (if it's missing wraps or the centerfold as an example) than I'd expect even a moster like that or let's as a Cap #1 to take a hit as well, although if those missing pieces didn't "affects the story" then in my opinion the FMV is debateable.

Edited by cgriffith
spelling

Just now, valiantman said:

Here's a fun one to think about... a slabbed coverless Hulk #180 is actually a better slab to display (from the back) than Hulk #180 with a cover. :idea:

There are many great splashes out there that are better than the cover itself (I can think of a few early Bat/Tec's) I think one of the best examples of this is a Detective Comics #35

1 minute ago, cgriffith said:

Exactly, and would still hold value assuming it is still complete (if it's missing wraps or the centerfold as an example) than I'd expect even a moster like that or let's as a Cap #1 to take a hit as well, although if those missing pieces didn't "effect the story" then in my opinion the FMV is debateable.

Missing wraps and centerfold are hard to value because CGC will include notes like "affects story", but if it's a Action Comics issue where it affects the Scoop Scanlon story... that's not much of a loss.  If it "affects story" for Superman, then it's catastrophic. lol

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Missing wraps and centerfold are hard to value because CGC will include notes like "affects story", but if it's a Action Comics issue where it affects the Scoop Scanlon story... that's not much of a loss.  If it "affects story" for Superman, then it's catastrophic. lol

And that's where doing a little research comes into play (looking/reading the comic to find where the "story" is) and if any of those missing wraps, etc dont affect the main story than sure. I hope collectors consider that when looking at them, if they're not complete coverless examples

3 minutes ago, cgriffith said:

And that's where doing a little research comes into play (looking/reading the comic to find where the "story" is) and if any of those missing wraps, etc dont affect the main story than sure. I hope collectors consider that when looking at them, if they're not complete coverless examples

You just lost 97% of collectors who might have been paying attention.  They only respond to "Top 10 Books To Buy Right Now" lists, and even then, they skip the two sentences to the right which explain why. :insane: