• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you ever re-holder a 9.9 or 10.0 book?
3 3

15 posts in this topic

Just curious what people's thoughts are on this.  If you have a very valuable 9.9 or 10.0 book, would you ever have it re-holdered...like ever?  Is it worth the risk or is it just better to leave it in the original case indefinitely?  Anyone have any experience with this?  How'd it go?

Also, anyone else notice with 9.9 labels that the part with the grade is very faded?  Any reason for that?  Thanks all!

1 minute ago, Sky1 said:

Also, anyone else notice with 9.9 labels that the part with the grade is very faded?  Any reason for that?  Thanks all!

It's "gold" ink....only used with 9.9s and 10s. 

Sadly, it looks more like faded black. :)

12 minutes ago, newshane said:

It's "gold" ink....only used with 9.9s and 10s. 

Sadly, it looks more like faded black. :)

Ha! That's funny to me.  Really wish I can see it tho.  Thanks for letting me know, I've been wondering this for the longest.

13 minutes ago, Grendel72 said:

Reholdering doesn't affect the grade. So long you send the book in its cgc casing intact, all cgc does is reholder the book in a new case with the same grade. 

Really?  I thought I read somewhere a very long time ago that they do re-grade the book even with a re-holder, but that's really good to hear (and comforting).

28 minutes ago, Sky1 said:

Ha! That's funny to me.  Really wish I can see it tho.  Thanks for letting me know, I've been wondering this for the longest.

Really?  I thought I read somewhere a very long time ago that they do re-grade the book even with a re-holder, but that's really good to hear (and comforting).

IF the slab submitted for reholdering is broken or compromised in a way that might have damaged the book they MIGHT regrade it, but those are pretty rare circumstances.

7 minutes ago, gregwynn said:

Saw where someone sent a killing joke 9.9 in for reholder and it came back 9.8....so they are looked at. I don't think I would ever do it personally

? they dont regrade on a reholder, do they?

On 8/24/2018 at 3:26 PM, Sky1 said:

Just curious what people's thoughts are on this.  If you have a very valuable 9.9 or 10.0 book, would you ever have it re-holdered...like ever?  Is it worth the risk or is it just better to leave it in the original case indefinitely?  Anyone have any experience with this?  How'd it go?

I would NOT risk it. Between shipping, handling, cracking the book out of the case, new encapsulation, stuff can happen. Even a fingerprint will lower the grade. It is not worth the risk. 

Thanks all for the responses! Sadly, I am left with the same mixed feelings I had on wither to re-holder a 9.9/10 book.  Getting some mixed but nice feedback.  If they simply don't bother looking at it & just re-case it, then it wouldn't be an issue.  Bomber-Bob brought up a good point, between shipping & cracking, anything can happen (like the person who mentioned a 9.9 killing joke coming back a 9.8).

Hopefully a few more people will speak up on wither they would do it or not.

39 minutes ago, Sky1 said:

Thanks all for the responses! Sadly, I am left with the same mixed feelings I had on wither to re-holder a 9.9/10 book.  Getting some mixed but nice feedback.  If they simply don't bother looking at it & just re-case it, then it wouldn't be an issue.  Bomber-Bob brought up a good point, between shipping & cracking, anything can happen (like the person who mentioned a 9.9 killing joke coming back a 9.8).

Hopefully a few more people will speak up on wither they would do it or not.

I would not crack it. I do not believe in a book being a 9.9-10 and the fact that it would in all likelihood come back a 9.8 tells me neither does CGC. I would love to hear of someone doing it and sending the book back in raw and it coming back the same 9.9-10. In my opinion its just bragging rights to have the "best" copy. I mean its not even a half grade between a 9.8 and 9.9. What dictates that .1? 

I had a 9.9 in a cracked case reholdered with no issue.  As mentioned above, just make sure the inner well isn't compromised or that the book has been damaged.  I think if CGC has a reason to re-grade they will, but if everything looks intact they just assign the same grade.