• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sketch commission SS grading
1 1

9 posts in this topic

First off, I apologize if I dont know what I am talking about.  I am new to this whole grading process, but want to learn more.

My father is an artist, not a world renowned one, but he is exceptional.  I gave him a blank variant batman and asked him to do a sketch cover for me so I can send in to be graded and sealed.  Thought it’d be cool to have his name on a CGC slab.  I understand the process for sending in comics but I want it to be graded as a signature series comic.  

My question is how would I go about getting the cover witnessed by a CGC rep?  As I said before, he is not a big name, so he doesnt go around to conventions and sell prints and commissions and such.  He does custom airbrush and is an amazing sketch artist.  

Would I have  to bring him to a convention to sign his cover in front of a rep?  

Can he sign it w/o a rep and send it in for a SS grading?

Any info helps.  Thanks in advance.  

Hopefully, by the time these questions are answered, the cover will be done and I can post for everyone.

Edited by Flexyfiljr05

32 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

From what I've been able to piece together, I think there is a creator form or some such that your father would have to fill out and submit along with the CGC SS form.  I would call CGC for a definitive answer.

Yep thats correct! There is a signature series creator agreement form that you can get from CGC by email customer service. It basically has the artist sign and attest that they signed/sketched a book. The artist can either hand it to cgc at a booth or mail it in. The important part is the form and that the artist mail/hand it in directly to cgc.

Ive used that form a bunch of times now, its great for online commission.

Alright this is all very helpful. I called customer service and they sent me the form.  

So when he finishes the piece. He himself fills out the creator agreement form with the SS submission form to send out?  Or can I just fill out the submission form for him?

Edited by Flexyfiljr05

58 minutes ago, Flexyfiljr05 said:

Alright this is all very helpful. I called customer service and they sent me the form.  

So when he finishes the piece. He himself fills out the creator agreement form with the SS submission form to send out?  Or can I just fill out the submission form for him?

probably a question best asked to CGC directly.

But I think as long as he signs where its appropriate you can fill out the rest of the form.  I assume in the case of some artists, they have their agents/reps fill out there forms and just sign where its important.  Sounds like you're acting in that capacity.

17 hours ago, Flexyfiljr05 said:

Keep in mind you will have to have a cgc account to have the piece graded under. The associate cost is 25$ which doesn't include your grading fees.

20 hours ago, Flexyfiljr05 said:

I havent needed to include a submission form. I have the artist fill out the agreement and send it with the book. CGC puts it into the system once they receive it and confirm with you what service you want.

Might be worth while asking CGC if you need a paid account or if they have some other process to handle that.

On 8/27/2018 at 11:42 AM, ExNihilo said:

From what I've been able to piece together, I think there is a creator form or some such that your father would have to fill out and submit along with the CGC SS form.  I would call CGC for a definitive answer.

On 8/27/2018 at 12:22 PM, Avi said:

Yep thats correct! There is a signature series creator agreement form that you can get from CGC by email customer service. It basically has the artist sign and attest that they signed/sketched a book. The artist can either hand it to cgc at a booth or mail it in. The important part is the form and that the artist mail/hand it in directly to cgc.

Ive used that form a bunch of times now, its great for online commission.

I didn't know this!  Thanks to both.  I've got a couple artist friends locally that I was going to have sketch some covers for gifts.  If I can get them graded (and credit them on the label), this is most welcome news.