• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Top Notch (Laugh) Comics 33

13 posts in this topic

Fortunate to pick up this nice copy of TNC 33; the resto work on it involves (at least) the staple; fairly certain it was manufactured with one staple and, as you can see in the 6th pic below, there is a piece of tape on the inside where the staple may have previously torn; the book also looks as if there may have been an attempt to clean it; there is some sort of stain (the light reveals it in the 3rd pic) ... any thoughts about this book's outcome for slabbing (blue, purple label, and the potential grade) would be appreciated ... thanks.

20180823_200650_resized.jpg

20180823_200704_resized.jpg

20180823_200751_resized.jpg

20180823_200807_resized.jpg

20180823_200815_resized.jpg

20180823_200858_resized.jpg

20180823_200949_resized.jpg

20180823_201013_resized.jpg

20180823_201030_resized.jpg

20180823_201106_resized.jpg

Edited by BuscemasAvengers

6.0-6.5 with either a conserved or restored label.  If it's just staple cleaning, it should only be conserved. 

It looks much nicer, but the tape inside the cover at the staple and possible stain will ding the book pretty hard.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

6.0-6.5 with either a conserved or restored label.  If it's just staple cleaning, it should only be conserved. 

It looks much nicer, but the tape inside the cover at the staple and possible stain will ding the book pretty hard.

So purple label if it is determined the resto is deemed beyond structural? And blue/grey label if it is determined the resto was done to improve structural integrity and long-term preservation? I thought for some GA books a blue label with a "piece of tape" notice was given?

For example, the Action 11 that is up for sale on CC right now ...

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=778534

Edited by BuscemasAvengers

8 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

So purple label if it is determined the resto is deemed beyond structural? And blue/grey label if it is determined the resto was done to improve structural integrity and long-term preservation? I thought for some GA books a blue label with a "piece of tape" notice was given?

For example, the Action 11 that is up for sale on CC right now ...

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=778534

That's my understanding.  I also believe solvent cleaning will get you conserved as well.  The Larson Detective Comics 35 that just sold on Heritage was a conserved book due to cleaning.

2 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I can see a 6.5 on this book...

Same here. Looks nice. Staple question though. Overstreet allows staples to be replace up to Fine, VF-NM require the original staples. Does CGC follow this rule? Would requesting a blue label get you a 6.0 vs a conserved/restored higher grade? 

17 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Same here. Looks nice. Staple question though. Overstreet allows staples to be replace up to Fine, VF-NM require the original staples. Does CGC follow this rule? Would requesting a blue label get you a 6.0 vs a conserved/restored higher grade? 

Wow, good question. According to the current restoration guidelines, replacing the staple with the original staple for the book is the only way to achieve the CONSERVED label, regardless of the grade. In this case, I would contact CGC or CCS to find out how they would handle this situation...(shrug)

2 hours ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

Will CCS remove the tape?

I'm not familiar with CCS, but if they do cleaning and restoration work I'm sure they can remove a piece of tape, thus guaranteeing a blue label...just ask them.

As for 6.5...I see no problem with that grade either...maybe even a 7.0.  It's really nice compared to some of the 6.5s I see for sale on Ebay...LOL

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian