• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on Declared Value

10 posts in this topic

Thanks people. I thought (and I don't think well ) I had heard that it was the amount it would be worth after grading, which creates a problem for me as I the reason I send books to the grader is for them to be graded. So I pregrade the grader's grades? And it's especially not fun when I have like a dozen of the same book to send in. So three on this tier, four on that... 30-something years and I still don't want to mess with grading raw. Blechh.

Edited by Silver Ager

This caused a ton of confusion for me when I first submitted. I used the raw value and had no problems. It makes sense, since you don't know what cgc grade you're going to get. I used the modern tier for all of my books even though I had ASM 300, which would have come back over 200 after grading. If all your books are after 1975 you can use the modern tier for all.

Edited by SBRobin

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, DurstDesigns said:

Why would I ever declare the value of my submission over $200? Is it in case something happens? 

Exactly. We deal with collectibles, everything is insured. We purchase insurance for your collectible while it is in our care as well as when it is shipped back to you.

1 hour ago, DurstDesigns said:

Why would I ever declare the value of my submission over $200? Is it in case something happens? 

Without knowing what grade you'll eventually get back, I'd say what would be your replacement cost if you wanted to buy a raw copy in the same condition?  (eg what have copies in similar shape sold for on Ebay)

On 11/18/2020 at 11:46 AM, AshleyHabedank said:

Exactly. We deal with collectibles, everything is insured. We purchase insurance for your collectible while it is in our care as well as when it is shipped back to you.

Gotcha. Thank you. Been collecting a long time and now just starting to think about getting books slabbed, and to be honest it's a bit nerve racking to think of turning them loose into the wilds of shipping.