• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen AF 15 CGC 5.0 Wizard Chicago
4 4

178 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, Pirate said:

Good to see all the backroom lawyers and expert security professionals in this thread.  Do everyone a favor and just be on the lookout.  I doubt the OP needs all this "advice" atm.  

I agree. Leroy is one of the good guys. He works hard for his inventory and doesn't deserve to have this happen to him. I sure he is feeling terrible right now. While I think there are some really good security related comments in this thread, I just don't think he is interested in reading them at the moment. Perhaps another thread would be the best approach. 

33 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree. Leroy is one of the good guys. He works hard for his inventory and doesn't deserve to have this happen to him. I sure he is feeling terrible right now. While I think there are some really good security related comments in this thread, I just don't think he is interested in reading them at the moment. Perhaps another thread would be the best approach. 

The longer this tread stays active the more users see it and are made aware of the theft. I doubt OP has been keeping tabs. As far as people injecting their opinions well, it's the users prerogative. 

29 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

The longer this tread stays active the more users see it and are made aware of the theft. I doubt OP has been keeping tabs. As far as people injecting their opinions well, it's the users prerogative. 

You are correct about keeping this thread active to make others aware of the theft. 

Thiefs look around like crazy before they snatch.  Be alert to guy looking at wall then looking around repeatedly.  It would be sweet if someone filming con on phone caught dude in the act.

3 hours ago, Pirate said:

Good to see all the backroom lawyers and expert security professionals in this thread.  Do everyone a favor and just be on the lookout.  I doubt the OP needs all this "advice" atm.  

Isn't discussion what you do on a discussion forum? 

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

There was one dealer at NYCC that had photocopies of the good stuff in binders.  If you asked you could see one or two books at the same time after you pointed them out in the binder.  I am probably wrong but I think John Verzyl's booth did that as I believe that was how I bought my ASM 3. 

Pretty sure this was Verzyl, I remember flipping through the books at a WW Chicago.

7 hours ago, SteppinRazor said:

What's the likelihood of selling an AF15 or Hulk 181 at a convention?

If the book is there for attraction/marketing purposes only, a back wall could be designed out of steel or aluminum, with angle iron/angle AL at the top and bottom on the books, so one would have to slide all the slabs up to the AF15 out of the rack at the side to get it out.

I bought one of my AF15's at NYCC.

6 hours ago, Pirate said:

I doubt the OP needs all this "advice" atm.  

And I have no doubt that he and many others do need it. The very fact that this thread exists and that a thief was able to walk away with this is solid evidence of that. Most theft are crimes of opportunity. Many times not even planned until the opportunity presents itself. If you don't dangle a carrot in the first place, there's no chance a horse may grab it.

Most are woefully ignorant to what can provide an incentive for a crime. And what can be done to de-incentivize, eliminating that opportunity.

Security professionals point these things out and suggest pre-emptive steps. And I don't think it's a waste of time to discuss what can be done to prevent theft at shows while we're trying to help Leroy reclaim what was taken.

Maybe if some of these suggestions presented in this thread are initiated, there will be 10 less threads like this by the end of the year that we'll never know about because they didn't happen, right?

5 hours ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

Since it's stolen, he could try to sell it coverless.  Coverless copies still command a lot of money.

And you've touched on something here that is very pertinent. While I doubt that the thief is going to go as far as taking the cover off, thus throwing out a potential $40,000 along with the cover, let's not be oblivious to the possibility that this book may be presented for sale out of the slab and in a modified state!

This is why I asked for more photos, all the better if raw, in pre-slab state, and if that's not available, a back cover picture.

Now rather than rip the cover off and destroy 98% of the value, he might add defects, or write a name on the cover, or date it, i.e. deface it slightly in some way to promote it being overlooked by those keeping an eye out for it, so if we're going to stand a chance of sleuthing this book out and having it find it's way back to Leroy, we're going to have to remain open to possibilities, really study the image and still take a good look at any AF 15s offered for sale as a possible match, though now altered for distraction!

Meaning, if you see an AF 15 for sale, and the name, "John Smith" is written in a childlike penmanship across the cover, still scrutinize it because it can be this book but now augmented for disguise.