• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern blank sketch variant questions
2 2

21 posts in this topic

Hello all so I had a question I wanted to ask. I know for example some more recent blank variants like fantastic four relaunch and then I think was batman wedding issue. That the blank variant came with a tissue like paper over the blank variant cover. Does removing that tissue paper for example of your getting a sketch on book and or sending said book to be cgc affect the value. Or should it just be left on. I was curious about that.

13 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

No no not what I was asking. A sketch on it I know be fine. I asking for what ever reasons these more recent books have a tissue type paper over the blank cover if that was removed if that hurts the book value.

If you're removing part of the book, it would be incomplete, so it would be either be graded at a lower number, or get the green label, depending on what is removed.

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

If you're removing part of the book, it would be incomplete, so it would be either be graded at a lower number, or get the green label, depending on what is removed.

I would not think that would be the case. Have you seen the protective cover that they are referring to?

2 hours ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

This is incorrect. The outer "cover" is more of a protective sheet. I leave it on and have the artist sketch on the actual cover, then when you send it in CGC will remove it. That was my experience.

5 minutes ago, Avi said:

This is incorrect. The outer "cover" is more of a protective sheet. I leave it on and have the artist sketch on the actual cover, then when you send it in CGC will remove it. That was my experience.

So CGC was the one who removed the protective cover for your book?

On 8/27/2018 at 11:17 AM, Avi said:

It would help if there were pics to illustrate what we're talking about. I'm assuming the "tissue-like paper" is some sort of vellum. I was assuming that it was attached (stapled) to the book like an extra cover. Is that not the case?

Ya I was just asking as I said about the tissue cover over the blank cover. Of course when I get sketch on it in a future con. I going to have artist work on the sketch cover part. All I was asking about was about the tissue paper covering. First why DC and marvel do this on x blanks. And then if the tissue was removed by me, the artist, or cgc if I sent said book in after sketch was done. Does that hurt the value for grading purpose.

Here is some pics of the FF issue I was talking about:

20180830_120133.jpg

20180830_120151.jpg

Here is a pic of the batman issue in question:f169872.jpg

Edited by Webhead2018

it was added because comic enthusiasts and artists were complaining that the sketch blanks were arriving very dirty directly from the distributor. Good luck getting a 9.8 grade with the "damaged" covers.

I quite like that they have added the protective sheet, and yes if you send it in CGC removes the sheet.

On ‎2018‎/‎08‎/‎26 at 1:21 PM, Oat Willy1 said:

Yes, a sketch on the cover would take it out of Mint

Sketches on the covers can be graded as mint, here is an example of a book I did the sketch for that came back 9.8:

WTotF Cover sketch.jpg

14 minutes ago, Webhead2018 said:

So ultimately it doesn't hurt the grade or value then right. That is all I was curious about.

well that said there is the collector side of comics and those who know that the book was manufactured with the outer cover may not like if it is removed. For example I won't buy the new FF or the new Supergirl that doesn't have the protective sheet on it because I want the front cover blank area protected until I sketch on it.

I would only remove it if you have a sketch completed on it.

Ya that was what I am getting at. I wouldn't remove it to I get a sketch done on it in the coming months at next con I go to that has someone I like to get it worked on. I was mostly curious why this and the batman issue for example had it on them. And if said book was to be graded by cgc or what have you. Does value or grade get affected with it on or off book. As I never seen a blank cover with that on before these two specific books.

2 hours ago, thesink said:

Ok CGC removes the sheet and it still gets a “mint” grade, but what if it arrives at CGC without the protective cover? Does it receive the same grade?

I have been removing the sheet to do my work so I hope so.