• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping OA
2 2

121 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 2:15 PM, JadeGiant said:

It could get wet – I put the art in a sealed bag

It could break – I have heard that Masonite can break/shatter

So, art in plastic … plastic taped to oversized carboard … cardboard in between Masonite … 

Yep, once had a piece of art get wet in transit, so art inside a sealed plastic bag is a must.

I once had an artist ship me two pieces of art sandwiched between two pieces of Masonite placed inside an oversized jiffy bag.  The Masonite sheets got broken in transit.

. . . . which is why I subscribe to your last point that I've highlighted.

On 9/27/2018 at 6:19 AM, The Voord said:

Yep, once had a piece of art get wet in transit, so art inside a sealed plastic bag is a must.

I once had an artist ship me two pieces of art sandwiched between two pieces of Masonite placed inside an oversized jiffy bag.  The Masonite sheets got broken in transit.

. . . . which is why I subscribe to your last point that I've highlighted.

My only concern with shipping art sealed in plastic is depending on the weather and where it is stored until being shipped, is condensation developing between the sheets of plastic and still damaging the art.

3 minutes ago, Captain Canuck said:

My only concern with shipping art sealed in plastic is depending on the weather and where it is stored until being shipped, is condensation developing between the sheets of plastic and still damaging the art.

How about shipping art only during heatwave weather minus the plastic bag?

Here is my method for shipping art that has worked for me and I have gotten compliments on the level of packaging.

The art is first put in a Crystal Clear bag by Clear Bags

https://www.clearbags.com/11-7-16-x-17-1-4-pc-bags-retail-pack-25-b1117pc.html

I tape the artwork to the smooth side a 14x18 sheet of Masonite with clear packing tape leaving pull tabs (folded over tape). School specialty sell the precut board for $2.09 each

https://www.schoolspecialty.com/school-specialty-masonite-panel-412093

I then take 2 large Priority Mail Game shipping boxes and cut them down to get 2 sheets that are 15x19 and put the artwork and masonite in between and seal it up with more packing tape.

https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-large-flat-rate-board-game-box---gbfrb-P_GB_FRB

On 9/23/2018 at 5:49 PM, Twanj said:

Heritage changed the way they ship comic art.

The art is in a mylar with a THICK backing board.

That's inside a folded over oversize manila envelope, taped to cardboard. There are 5 slices of cardboard inside the large cardboard box/enclosure.

I'm selling some of my OA for the first time and reused packaging from Heritage. In case anyone wants to know, it was a Uline S-12660, 20" x 16" with variable depth up to 6". Back when I ordered from them, Felix Art used something very similar to Uline's 20" x 16" x 1" box model S-3332, but that model is white while Felix's was regular cardboard brown. I already used mine so I can't check the brand and model.

Edited by Greenlake

The last OA piece I sent out was

Wrapped in glassine paper
then wrapped in small-bubble bubblewrap
then sandwiched between 2 sheets of masonite
those were taped tightly together,
then wrapped in big-bubble bubblewrap
then slipped into a wood crate made out of a 1x4 frame with additional blocking in the corners for rigidity and masonite skins for the front and back.
All screwed together. Additionally the back had wood glue applied, so it only opened from the front.
Then the whole thing was taped shut with Gorilla tape wrapped over all sides.

The gorilla tape seems like overkill, but I've had crates that were shipped to me, where the gorilla tape actually saved the package from coming apart. On more than one occasion,shocks to the crate had busted the masonite loose of the frame around it in one or more places. But the tape held. That gorilla tape is gnarly stuff.

Shipping bill from DC to LA was $420 ish.
It was a 30" x 40" oil on canvas, so YMMV.

Generally I like to send Global Express Guaranteed via USPS when possible. Or next best option when not.
Keep in mind not all services will go to all places internationally, and restrictions are different to different countries as well.
FedEx and UPS tend to be pretty crazy for international. I've used DHL with great success as well.

If you know the buyer personally, I just pack as bomb proof as possible and ship via whatever service is the most reasonable balance of speed/cost. I've had pieces get "lost" for weeks at a time during transit, but they've always turned up when I filed a missing package report.
Funnily enough, not by the missing package report. most times they go missing for a week or 3, and then get delivered late. But then I get notices from USPS saying they are still searching for weeks after it's been delivered. Go figure.

If I don't know the buyer, the process also involves prayer, fretting, lots of distracted days and sleepless moments until it's delivered.
I never undervalue pieces for international shipping anymore, and I won't lie on customs forms for people trying to save a few bucks. I do offer to ship to people stateside, if the buyer has someone in the U.S. that they trust to accept packages for them. Makes shipping from me to them faster and simpler. And then they take on the risk of getting from here to wherever they are located.

Edited by ESeffinga

2 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

When I think of shipping issues, nobody's work looms larger than Anselm Kiefer.

image.png.8b0484f6ea72fdd6a0dd8cf496e3909f.png

I love most of what he does, but am also happy that owning privately (in a modest sized home!) is impossible. Never have to worry about what could happen in transit...

Or Schnabel, same difference...

Remember articles in the 90s of plates falling off his pieces and onto gallery floors. Just from hanging there. Can’t imagine shipping it. Yeesh.

Or Schnabel, same difference...

(except I don't like Schnabel!)

Remember articles in the 90s of plates falling off his pieces and onto gallery floors. Just from hanging there. Can’t imagine shipping it. Yeesh.

...and people here worry about unstable markers on The Death of Captain Marvel ;)

5 minutes ago, dichotomy said:

From ME to MA, via !@#$%^&* Jersey... Expected Tuesday, so 3 days in unnecessary shipping limbo. WHY MATRIX WHY?!?!?!

At every stop you get charged that state's sales (and soon VAT too) tax...think of them as previews of the customs fees to come as the country breaks up in the next some years and forms new boundaries throughout ;)

15 hours ago, dichotomy said:

From ME to MA, via !@#$%^&* Jersey... Expected Tuesday, so 3 days in unnecessary shipping limbo. WHY MATRIX WHY?!?!?!

AAUGH.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 2.11.14 PM.png

So you will have something exciting to remember the experience by. It’s a value added service. ;)

Truth is, ANYbody that intentionally chooses to buy/ship original art from post-Thanksgiving to Christmas is a dyed in the wool thrill seeker/adrenaline junkie. It’s like people jumping out of airplanes for a fun experience. I don’t get it personally, and I don’t begrudge them their choices. I just know they are different.

I tend to ask people to just hold stuff and ship after the holidays. Less stress for everyone! 

Edited by ESeffinga

If I'm sending higher-end art from the UK to overseas destinations I opt for Parcelforce's Global Express, which has something like a three-day delivery window, providing no delays with customs clearance.  If they don't deliver on time (with no customs issues), I can claim a 100% refund of mailing costs.  Never had a package go astray and have had a number of full refunds for late arrival.  

Packaging-wise, I'm a big fan of Gorilla tape.  Flexible, strong and holds everything together.  Albert Moy once remarked to me (after receiving one of my packages), "You sure do like duct tape."