• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping OA
2 2

121 posts in this topic

I’m getting ready to ship out OA for the first time (11x14). I’m trying to use what’s already in my house...tell me if you guys think this would work. I was planning on putting the art in a plastic bag and sealing it. I was going to cut pieces of cardboard from a bigger box and sandwich the art between two pieces, tape them together and then put them into a bigger box to ship out. 

I figured I’d appeal to the experts before I made a move. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:36 AM, ZimmermanTelegram said:

I’m getting ready to ship out OA for the first time (11x14). I’m trying to use what’s already in my house...tell me if you guys think this would work. I was planning on putting the art in a plastic bag and sealing it. I was going to cut pieces of cardboard from a bigger box and sandwich the art between two pieces, tape them together and then put them into a bigger box to ship out. 

I figured I’d appeal to the experts before I made a move. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Welcome - sounds like you’re on the right track (not that I’m an expert). The more OA one receives, the better they then can pack it. The rule of thumb is, imagine the package in the hands of someone who doesn’t care about it AT ALL. The sandwiched art in a box works quite well for the most part, and putting it in plastic first is smart. When the flat pack is in the box, you may want to include some packing material to help stabilize the sandwich in the box a bit. Lots of tape, and instructions and taped back flaps for the receiver are also appreciated (for quick and easy removal). Personally, I like using hardboard just as an extra precaution (instead of cardboard). Good luck! 

Edited by dichotomy

2 hours ago, ZimmermanTelegram said:

I'll go with the Simon Miller test.  If you can bend it with your hand, it's not strong enough to send.

to be sure,  if your cardboard is regular corrugated cardboard and one piece (as in no folds for bends of boxes) and you have the "direction" going perpendicular with the 2 boards so it is stiff on both sides, that sounds fine.

As Simon says though, try to bend it with your hand.

Malvin

I received a package today that made me think of this thread - the piece has a (low) 5 figure price tag. Shipped by an auction house. The piece is fine, but this illustrates what can happen and why certain precautions should be taken and certain tolerances allowed for in packing (i.e. don’t pack the Art right to the edges). 

The sandwich was in the large box with packing peanuts both below and above it. It wasn’t until I discarded the peanuts that I realized the extent of the damage. 

This is not a light damage. It’s not like the box was just dropped. Something crushed into the side with quite a bit of force. 

ABB9AC8C-535B-4188-9031-31DC15B7BC1F.jpeg

248616E2-9CFB-455B-8CB8-CB8512DA7B45.jpeg

7BF25761-5D81-449D-AD0B-2862084FF605.jpeg

05D31D65-CDE5-4D2A-9D4B-E3A0586DA6CD.jpeg

BB01D1BB-149E-4B4A-8286-15320BEEBC51.jpeg

BA669D8F-7240-46D2-A30C-63F9BB8C2CA4.jpeg

I knew a guy that once had a guitar delivered to his house. The box had been punctured by something like a forklift. Went right through the box, and the case, and out the other side. And it was delivered to his house like that. 

Sometimes things are just gonna get wrecked, no matter the packaging. Whether it’s an accident, neglect, freak occurrence, or just less than stellar packaging.

Doesn’t matter how well I pack something I ship, I always fret while things are in transit. There is such a thing as overkill in packing art. I’m sure I’ve crossed that line a number of times. Spending more on shipping than necessary to ease my mind as much as possible.

Had two packages shipped by Scott Kolins on 5 June. We paid for the top USPS rate (I don't think Scott has a UPs or Fed Ex account) both due 12 June. This is for Arizona to Sydney Australia. First arrived around 12 June, via LA/San Fran/ the box was wet and had been partially crushed. Luckily with good padding the art arrive with little damage (how does art delivered to a PO box get wet ??) .

On around the 20th we started chasing the other one and were told by the US it had left for Australia (could not tell when or how) and Australia swore they "Knew nothing, go back to US" .. Anyway long after we had given up, it arrived on 28 July. 7 weeks over due, box perfect condition no sign of any trouble. Shipping right now with Covid is going to be touch and go. I wish everyone good luck, some of us will need it.

That said  Fed ex is working like a charm from HA and Nostalgia.

On 8/4/2020 at 2:20 PM, atrocitus said:

Has anyone had art rolled in a poster tube before? 

I've had a page I bought from Todd Klein from Fables mailed in a tube and also a package that I got from an art gift enchange rolled in a tube. I hate it but I have placed them under some weight to flatten them out and now I have a Seal 210 that I bought to press my comics that I can now use to flatten art too!

Anyone have a clue how long it may take for a package to come from Brazil? I bought directly from the artist, and I wouldn’t be surprised if he sent it as cheaply as possible (he returned $12.00 to me for unnecessary postage costs). Yes, I am also crossing my fingers it was well packed.

Edited by Rick2you2

13 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Anyone have a clue how long it may take for a package to come from Brazil?

Normally three weeks. Presently: months. Force the refund and then repay the other person when it arrives. IF it arrives.

Vodou is right about the shipping time. Wrong about the refund, IMO. If the artist refunded part of your shipping costs, he's trying to do right by you, as I see it. He doesn't sound like a take-the-money and run kind of guy. "Force" a refund and I can imagine how little he'll want to do with you in the future.

I've bought directly from two artists in Brazil. Neither packed their art well the first time, but everything survived relatively intact (a minor, easily-flattened fold on the corner of one page).

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Normally three weeks. Presently: months. Force the refund and then repay the other person when it arrives. IF it arrives.

I was afraid it would take that long. Now, I am not sure about buying some artist’s work from Italy.

I can’t, in my heart,  ask him for a refund along the lines you suggest. If I lose the money, so be it.

3 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I was afraid it would take that long. Now, I am not sure about buying some artist’s work from Italy.

I can’t, in my heart,  ask him for a refund along the lines you suggest. If I lose the money, so be it.

I don't know about shipping options from Brazil or Italy, but I order things from Asia fairly frequently (not comic book OA), and while the cheapest shipping options are delayed significantly, the privately owned shippers like DHL and FedEx should get things to you pretty quickly. Of course, this will increase shipping costs significantly, but for OA I'd consider doing it for the added speed and security. I trust those companies more than the combined government mail systems of multiple countries to get my stuff to me.

Edited by BuraddoRun

3 hours ago, BuraddoRun said:

I don't know about shipping options from Brazil or Italy, but I order things from Asia fairly frequently (not comic book OA), and while the cheapest shipping options are delayed significantly, the privately owned shippers like DHL and FedEx should get things to you pretty quickly. Of course, this will increase shipping costs significantly, but for OA I'd consider doing it for the added speed and security. I trust those companies more than the combined government mail systems of multiple countries to get my stuff to me.

I would have been happy to do so, but I wasn't given the option and didn't think to ask. 

21 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Now, I am not sure about buying some artist’s work from Italy.

Probably the same or longer, unless FedEx, they seem to be lighting fast (3-5 days) regardless.

21 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

A very valid POV, my comment was in case that wasn't your position!

15 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I would have been happy to do so, but I wasn't given the option and didn't think to ask. 

Well at least you have it for the future. However, FedEx and DHL (both for sure as I've recently experienced)...do not be surprised to get billed for customs services even though you don't actually owe anything to customs ("art" valued under $2500 is duty-free import to USA). https://usacustomsclearance.com/process/importing-art-into-the-us/

They will bill you "just cuz" they're handling it. It's junk, "something for doing nothing", we all know it, but they will bill it out just the same.

35 minutes ago, vodou said:

Probably the same or longer, unless FedEx, they seem to be lighting fast (3-5 days) regardless.

A very valid POV, my comment was in case that wasn't your position!

Well at least you have it for the future. However, FedEx and DHL (both for sure as I've recently experienced)...do not be surprised to get billed for customs services even though you don't actually owe anything to customs ("art" valued under $2500 is duty-free import to USA). https://usacustomsclearance.com/process/importing-art-into-the-us/

They will bill you "just cuz" they're handling it. It's junk, "something for doing nothing", we all know it, but they will bill it out just the same.

I have had more lost packages with fedex than I have had with usps and the brokerage fee that they charge is sometimes more than an item is worth. I have on occasion refused to accept a package from fedex or dhl and told them to return it to sender based on the exorbitant brokerage fees.