• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping OA
2 2

121 posts in this topic

On 9/8/2020 at 5:53 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Any idea how long this will take to flatten out under a reasonably heavy Banker's Box?

I usually roll it up the other way.  If the mailing tube isn't too dirty, use that.  Otherwise, gently do it by hand.  Give it 5 minutes, works wonders. 

On 9/13/2020 at 11:29 AM, ESeffinga said:

I like to stick the art under the glass To let it flatten. A few weeks to a few months, depending on how heavy and stubborn the paper and curl are. Most are good within a month.

I followed your suggestion; I posted it under "Art Under Glass". It can also make for a terrific display.

I am getting ready to have a Peanuts Sunday that is framed shipped next week.  Fortunately the frame has acrylic rather than glass.  The shipper that is packing it plans to make a wooden crate to ship it in via FedEx.  I will let folks know how it goes.

Update 12/30/2020 - item was picked up from auction house and the crate is being built.  Item will ship Monday and I should have it next week.

Update 1/6/2021 - item arrived, it was packaged so it could withstand whatever Fedex threw at it.  Solid wood crate surround by thick Styrofoam surrounded by cardboard and bubble wrap.

Edited by batman_fan

Just a reminder to everyone to please encase art in a plastic bag within the package.  I recently received a package that was wet and the art boards suffered some water damage.  The art was wrapped in tissue paper within the cardboard.  Thankfully the ink didn't run, but the paper will never be the same again.  It wasn't raining the day the art was sent or received, so this must have happened at some point in transit.  

This art isn't valuable enough to warrant professional restoration, so I'm flattening it as best I can, but it'll probably never fully recover.  

With the issues the post office has had in the past year or so, I am planning to ship some art by another carrier. I tried to research this but can't find a decisive answer. Do UPS or FedEx limit the amount of insurance they will cover art for? Thanks!

I just wanted to share a FedEx pro tip that came in handy for the missus lately...

She shipped two pieces via Express recently and selected the option on the label screen to "Hold for Pickup" at a nearby FedEx office location. Then, the recipient goes over there with ID in hand to get it.

This avoids the whole porch pirate stress... Because even if you select and pay for Signature Required lately, none of the drivers are actually getting the signatures. They are just scribbling their own and dumping the package wherever.

I hope this helps someone!

4 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

I just wanted to share a FedEx pro tip that came in handy for the missus lately...

She shipped two pieces via Express recently and selected the option on the label screen to "Hold for Pickup" at a nearby FedEx office location. Then, the recipient goes over there with ID in hand to get it.

This avoids the whole porch pirate stress... Because even if you select and pay for Signature Required lately, none of the drivers are actually getting the signatures. They are just scribbling their own and dumping the package wherever.

I have done this and it is a nice option if you have a package that has expensive art and/or you can't be home all day(s) for a delivery. Great tip. 

9 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Then, the recipient goes over there with ID in hand to get it.

Please make sure you ask the receiver first though. My nearest FEDEX facility is 30 miles away...so no, you do that to me it's going back to you. Or you can drive it out to me instead.

On 5/21/2021 at 11:08 AM, BCarter27 said:

you as the recipient can also do this once a package has already been sent- just sign into fedex with the tracking number and request they hold it at a nearby fedex facility (and you can choose) I've done this multiple times with HA and others.

2 hours ago, MyNameIsLegion said:

you as the recipient can also do this once a package has already been sent- just sign into fedex with the tracking number and request they hold it at a nearby fedex facility (and you can choose) I've done this multiple times with HA and others.

Same - just did it this week

On 9/6/2021 at 12:21 PM, Nuttzo said:

I just went to checkout an auction win on comicconnect.com and the shipping for the artwork is $97? I know I've won art on there before, but don't ever remember prices like this.

They tried that crepe with me once; I renegotiated under threat of otherwise just walking and never doing business with them again.

They came around.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:08 AM, BCarter27 said:

Because even if you select and pay for Signature Required lately, none of the drivers are actually getting the signatures. They are just scribbling their own and dumping the package wherever.

How is this not fraud on their part? They charge for this service. Fedex did this to me with a massive 23k Hildebrandt painting, just leaned against the front wall of my house, no knock, no signature. And note that places like collectinsure typically require the signature. Fortunately I was home that day in anticipation.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:22 AM, cstojano said:

How is this not fraud on their part? They charge for this service. Fedex did this to me with a massive 23k Hildebrandt painting, just leaned against the front wall of my house, no knock, no signature. And note that places like collectinsure typically require the signature. Fortunately I was home that day in anticipation.

All of the shipping companies have been doing it under the guise of covid. Fedex and UPS offer the ability to have a package held for pickup if you have an account under their website. USPS has their informed delivery site that tells you what mail and packages are coming.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:22 AM, cstojano said:

How is this not fraud on their part? They charge for this service.

On 9/16/2021 at 9:32 AM, Hockeyflow33 said:

All of the shipping companies have been doing it under the guise of covid.

Yeah charging for it. All good until - charge for something for nothing - until a claim related to signature happens.

That's where the rubber meets the road and I'm not sure the customer (buyer of said service) prevails without going to court.

If somebody has already or does have a signature issue, let's see it posted here and where it goes to get resolution.

I'd like my negative bias to be wrong, but I'd really like to be informed (as would the rest of you too, I think).