• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago — August 22-25, 2019
1 1

181 posts in this topic

ACE announces a show in October same location 

that’s 3 comic shows now in convention center that used to be exclusive to Wizard 

times are changing 

Thanks for the heads up

Its possible that's why wizard held up in the guest list

I would expect to see it soon , OR  ???????

ACE has no Guests Listed yet, But if its anything like Seattle, and they advertise it right Wizard better on the Ball quick 

Captain America- Chris Evans, Thanos - Josh Brolin, + Gamora, War Machine Hawkeye, MAN! 

That must have cost them a fortune 

The Convention wars are definatley heating up, 

4 MAJOR shows in Chicago in one season! , By November every collector in Chicago should be broke 

1 hour ago, Golden Memories said:

Thanks for the heads up

ACE has no Guests Listed yet, But if its anything like Seattle, and they advertise it right Wizard better on the Ball quick 

Captain America- Chris Evans, Thanos - Josh Brolin, + Gamora, War Machine Hawkeye, MAN! 

4 MAJOR shows in Chicago in one season! , By November every collector in Chicago should be broke 

Ace has Brie Larson.

Captain marvel ! Already? 

That's one hell of a good start 

WW Philly's big draw is Deadpool's Girlfriend 

And a cheers re-union , Interesting, but what does that have to do with the genre? 

I hope they have a blockbuster surprise coming for Chicago 

18 minutes ago, Golden Memories said:

Captain marvel ! Already? 

That's one hell of a good start 

WW Philly's big draw is Deadpool's Girlfriend 

And a cheers re-union , Interesting, but what does that have to do with the genre? 

I hope they have a blockbuster surprise coming for Chicago 

Wizard isn’t a comic con, don’t claim to be one, and have seemingly distanced themselves from comics for some time. If Ace is going to rain down the fury, in the same building, I would be concerned that that could affect Wizard attendance. 

That said, this has always been an exceptional show for buying. If the dealers are going to show up then it still should be. 

I agree completely, wizard Chicago is one of the best shows for buying,  I always go home with my mini packed 

That being said if the customer base is split between 4 shows, that means It will cost me 4 times as much to see the same people, 

And My sales have been slowy but steadily eroding at this show since c2e2 

Now add 2 more shows in the same location into the mix, and a lot of dealers myself included are going to be making hard choices .

That's why I said WW really needs to get on the ball, they cant afford to have so much bleed off, they start to lose dealers

This is not just me talking, unfortunately a lot of my friends are feeling this pinch also 

The one thing WW Chicago does have going for it is a clique of dealers, who don't seem to do any other show,  that's part of the reason the buying is so good,

but, they too seem to be slowly fading out 

4 hours ago, Golden Memories said:

I agree completely, wizard Chicago is one of the best shows for buying,  I always go home with my mini packed 

That being said if the customer base is split between 4 shows, that means It will cost me 4 times as much to see the same people, 

And My sales have been slowy but steadily eroding at this show since c2e2 

Now add 2 more shows in the same location into the mix, and a lot of dealers myself included are going to be making hard choices .

That's why I said WW really needs to get on the ball, they cant afford to have so much bleed off, they start to lose dealers

This is not just me talking, unfortunately a lot of my friends are feeling this pinch also 

The one thing WW Chicago does have going for it is a clique of dealers, who don't seem to do any other show,  that's part of the reason the buying is so good,

but, they too seem to be slowly fading out 

Frankly my biggest concern about this show is whether it will happen. The lack of any guest announcements at this late date is concerning to say the least. 

As for Ace, to me it appears to be an autograph show. I’d be skeptical that the target audience for that show would overlap too strongly with the crowd that is buying vintage comics. The June show they just had was in the same building, but a smaller room. Not a serious contender. C2E2 is intriguing, but I’ve heard reports all over the spectrum on whether it’s a good show for books. As long as the dealers in quality vintage comics keep going to Wizard Chicago, and the buyers keep making it worth their while, this show will remain a/the show that everyone focuses on for books. 

Edited by mysterio

I think c2e2 is the real deal for books and as an overall comic show. If it were held in Rosemont instead of downtown it would be a top 5 show in the country 

it has CGC on site, plenty of the same dealers and a good number of publishers artists etc 

Comic revolution was a solid comic show from my point of of view it it’s going to continue to grow. 

The question for wizard is which dealers are signed up? I suspect all the regulars are signed up and the show will happen this year but the signs of this ending are evident 

11 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think c2e2 is the real deal for books and as an overall comic show. If it were held in Rosemont instead of downtown it would be a top 5 show in the country 

it has CGC on site, plenty of the same dealers and a good number of publishers artists etc 

If Wizard is done I would love to see C2E2 move to Rosemont in mid-August. :wishluck: 

6 hours ago, Golden Memories said:

Thanks for the heads up

Whoa. I didn't know ACE was here last year and will be back this year.

What is the fourth one after C2E2, Wizard and ACE?

The 4 shows were c2e2   and then Comic revolution , Ace, And Wizard, All at Rosemont 

And I agree The ace show is more of an autograph show, However there is no doubt they are going to bleed off some of the potential attendees for WW chicago

Just as I am sure comic revolution did 

As far as comic people,  a Large Number of them Would Love to be at show where  Captain America and a half dozen more avengers are there

From a dealer perspective, I did the 1st ACE show which was on Long Island, where the Had Cavill, Gadot, and a few othe Jla members

Attendence was high, but it was one of the worst shows I had ever done from a sales perspective 

Superman and wonder woman bled so much money out of the room (If I remember correctly it was $700 for the pair of autos)  that dealer room sales were universally abysmall 

which is exactly my point, A LOT of people I am sure are going to see the 2 shows in the same location so close together 

and decide they would rather be at a show with Captain marvel and who knows how many other A list comic hero guests 

And decide on WHICH show to attend 

1 hour ago, Golden Memories said:

From a dealer perspective, I did the 1st ACE show which was on Long Island, where the Had Cavill, Gadot, and a few othe Jla members

Attendence was high, but it was one of the worst shows I had ever done from a sales perspective 

Superman and wonder woman bled so much money out of the room (If I remember correctly it was $700 for the pair of autos)  that dealer room sales were universally abysmal

This is the thing about those autograph shows. $700 spent on autos means that much less to spend on decent comics. I've heard that they actually do payment plans for the autographs and photo ops at those shows now. :screwy:

Sooner or later someone will run a show that is all autographs and photo ops and won't even bother to have vendors. Less headaches for them, and they would likely do almost as well.

The next Show after Philly for WW is Pittsburgh 

There are no guests, comic or otherwise, and no exhibitor list,  posted for this show either,  and its just 6 weeks away 

WW LA which is this week has a long list of somewhat less known  movie/tv people, exactly one artist, and no exhibitor list 

Kind of feels like something is up 

I hope Not, I like both the Philly and Chicago shows ,

On 6/8/2019 at 11:55 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I like McCormick more than Stephens. :(

At least the venue; Stephens has more immediately surrounding it. 

8 minutes ago, manetteska said:

I like McCormick more than Stephens. :(

At least the venue; Stephens has more immediately surrounding it. 

Stephens is easier to get to, and I’d imagine it is cheaper to stay around there (I always stay with friends when I’m up for the show, so I haven’t had to get a hotel).

22 minutes ago, mysterio said:

Stephens is easier to get to, and I’d imagine it is cheaper to stay around there (I always stay with friends when I’m up for the show, so I haven’t had to get a hotel).

I know I’m in the minority. I go to each show for one day (from the suburbs) as a buyer so my needs/costs are different. 

Drive in, drive out. No hotel, no need for restaurants, etc. 

I dislike almost everything about C2E2 aside from the hall it's held in, which is nice and bright and carpeted.

Aside from all that is has the following:

Horrible to drive to.

If you don't get to park inside before it fills up you get to park outside and walk a mile + just to get into the con...yay.

I don't care what anyone says, the selection of books at C2E2 in my experience is not as good as WW Chicago.

That being said, if I were an average con goer looking for publishers and guests C2E2 has WW beat.