• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago — August 22-25, 2019
1 1

181 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, TheWatcher said:

Okay, so I contacted my people and they told me that it's a different company putting this on, but they used the ACE acronym. It's being put on by Atomic Crush Events (ACE) in June at the Rosemont Convention Center

https://www.comicconrevolution.com/chicago/

Interesting. 

Everyone that has paid attention to any of my posts about Wizard World events knows that I'm not very fond of their shows (and that's putting it nicely).  Regardless, I realize that many people are still holding on to the idea that this is a comic show and will be purchasing tickets for this upcoming year.

After attending the Chicago show for about 15 years straight at some point (starting since I was in grade school), I guess I somehow signed up or got added to the Wizard mailing list.  Today they sent me a Black Friday code for 20% off.  I don't recall them ever doing this in the past.  Hopefully this helps someone out there.  Below are the details pulled straight from my email.

Don't miss out on this Black Friday offer for 20% off 4-Day Admissions and Silver VIP Packages (code: EBF20) at Wizard World Chicago 2019!  Make sure to enter code at checkout!

Their next show Portland has a superb guest list and the gold package is sold out 

Cleveland seems to have a lot of B listers  

St Louis Has Nothing and they have cut their ticket prices but its still 3 months away 

I heard new orleans was packed but the dealers got scalped 

Maybe they are Just Re-Thinking the methodology 

I've always believed too many Movie/TV Guests suck the money out of the room 

16 hours ago, Golden Memories said:

Their next show Portland has a superb guest list and the gold package is sold out 

Cleveland seems to have a lot of B listers  

St Louis Has Nothing and they have cut their ticket prices but its still 3 months away 

I heard new orleans was packed but the dealers got scalped 

Maybe they are Just Re-Thinking the methodology 

I've always believed too many Movie/TV Guests suck the money out of the room 

By this time Wizard would normally have preliminary guest lists up for most of their shows, especially Philly and Chicago. I don’t know whether it’s more concerning that those two shows have no guests, or that St Louis doesn’t. A couple of months is not long enough to promote what should be a large show (really any show where selling tickets is a goal). No guests and slashing ticket prices could be seen as a red flag...

Is it a matter of guests not committing to those future shows with Wizard, or that Wizard isn’t obtaining guests for those shows yet? Again, I’m not sure which would be worse. Of course it’s possible that Wizard does have guests and is choosing not to promote that, but what would the point of that be?

Edited by mysterio

On 1/22/2019 at 5:38 AM, mysterio said:

By this time Wizard would normally have preliminary guest lists up for most of their shows, especially Philly and Chicago.

Is it a matter of guests not committing to those future shows with Wizard, or that Wizard isn’t obtaining guests for those shows yet? Again, I’m not sure which would be worse. Of course it’s possible that Wizard does have guests and is choosing not to promote that, but what would the point of that be?

Wizard Chicago are exact same dates as big Fan expo Canada in Toronto (that moved from Sept. Labor Day long weekend) so I don't know if the Toronto promoters already locked up the 'better' media or comic creative talent :blahblah:?

14 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Wizard Chicago are exact same dates as big Fan expo Canada in Toronto (that moved from Sept. Labor Day long weekend) so I don't know if the Toronto promoters already locked up the 'better' media or comic creative talent :blahblah:?

Informa seems to be doing a nice job of locking up the movie talent folks will want to see in 2019, plus Pamela Anderson. I guess we will see about the comic talent, but Wizard hasn't been pushing too hard in that area lately.

On 1/22/2019 at 7:38 AM, mysterio said:

By this time Wizard would normally have preliminary guest lists up for most of their shows, especially Philly and Chicago. I don’t know whether it’s more concerning that those two shows have no guests, or that St Louis doesn’t. A couple of months is not long enough to promote what should be a large show (really any show where selling tickets is a goal). No guests and slashing ticket prices could be seen as a red flag...

Philly show now has guests listed!