• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago — August 22-25, 2019
1 1

181 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, BriD. said:

The ticket sales for this show seem odd. Twice now I've seen it go from general admission sold out to early bird discounted 4 day g/a passes available (which you can buy now if you thought it was sold out).

I still think it’s more odd to be selling tickets for a show with no guest list. 

Wizard World is also trying a brand new price method for booths.  They start at $500 for a 10x10 booth.  It’s for all shows except Chicago though.  They are still at the original pricing for Chicago.  It also said in the email that the lineup announcements should come around the end of this month for Chicago.

14 hours ago, inapicklecomics said:

Wizard World is also trying a brand new price method for booths.  They start at $500 for a 10x10 booth.  It’s for all shows except Chicago though.  They are still at the original pricing for Chicago.  It also said in the email that the lineup announcements should come around the end of this month for Chicago.

Hi Josh! :hi:

The plot thickens even further. 

In addition to the new price drop, Wizard has announced that all sellers who reserved at the higher rate, would receive a retroactive credit so they will pay the new lower rate, If they applied that to Chicago the cost would be immense, especially as this is their most expensive show as far as booth cost

1 hour ago, Golden Memories said:

In addition to the new price drop, Wizard has announced that all sellers who reserved at the higher rate, would receive a retroactive credit so they will pay the new lower rate, If they applied that to Chicago the cost would be immense, especially as this is their most expensive show as far as booth cost

Can those dealers take that credit as a refund of the excess fees paid, or are they forced to apply them to a future Wizard show?

I was considering this con for the first time, rather than Toronto, which I've been to several times.  Chicago sounds like fun in theory, but not if the comic vendors are abandoning the ship.

Edit: zero interest in guests, just comics.

Edited by FineCollector

This seems to be the New Operative Norm, 1 Hot Comic related Celeberity, (JM auto =$125 +$15 authentication fee)  and A group of other  Comic TV and Movie guests, Including Dean Cain and Henry Winkler, .As I stated before, I do not believe that the HOT guests help the dealers, other then bringing in additional attendees which can bolster the admission take , which makes future shows possible 

Artist List posted as well Maybe I'm getting old, But I only saw 2 names I recognized , assuming updates will follow 

Looks like a good autograph show 

1 hour ago, Golden Memories said:

This seems to be the New Operative Norm, 1 Hot Comic related Celeberity, (JM auto =$125 +$15 authentication fee)  and A group of other  Comic TV and Movie guests, Including Dean Cain and Henry Winkler, .As I stated before, I do not believe that the HOT guests help the dealers, other then bringing in additional attendees which can bolster the admission take , which makes future shows possible 

Artist List posted as well Maybe I'm getting old, But I only saw 2 names I recognized , assuming updates will follow 

Looks like a good autograph show 

That was basically the point I was trying to make earlier. If these "pop culture" phenomena are what it takes to make 90% of the large shows run so I have an opportunity to buy comics, then I'll put up with it.

Ace Just announced Jon Snow,  Possibly the THE hottest pop culture star of the Moment. (Not to mention Captain marvel) 

Ace show is in the same venue 60 days away , 

That highlights my previous premise that celebrities provide a dubious benefit to comic shows 

The comic Buyers are going to Chicago, gaurenteed 

BUT the autograph people now have a choice, WW , Ace, or both 

Considering the admission and signing fees I am guessing a good percentage are going to have to make a choice 

IF Chicago was the Chicago of 10 years ago, It wouldn't have made a difference, But the new emphasis on POP culture stars

has now led to the Battle of the autographs 

WW Chicago : Jason Mamoa  (auto $80.00) + enough other talent to insure the auto peoples charge cards are going to be maxed out 

Ace Chicago 2 months Later : Brie Larson -captain marvel (auto tickets already sold out at $200, Photo ops at $200 nearly sold out ) & Jon snow (so far)