• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago — August 22-25, 2019
1 1

181 posts in this topic

I think all the vendors and Wizard got word I would not be there this year (after about 10 straight years) and decided to downsize as a result.  Best of luck, folks. 

21 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Also part the wall on the western side (I think) wasn’t set up due to water leaking from the roof 

They could ask the remodeling contractor set up at the show to take care of it :idea:

Edited by TheWatcher

Last year for me here. Very disappointing. Yesterday I actually Walked around with earphones in. Not because I wanted to listen to music, just because I was tired of getting solicited for massage units, xfinity, radio stations, lasik, Verizon, etc.... It’s actually worse than Sams Club with the Directv people that chase you around the store. 

3 hours ago, JollyComics said:

Anyone stole comic books lately?

Muchin got a stack of books stolen 

The following books were stolen from Tomorrow's Treasures at Wizard Chicago, Saturday, August 24.  Thank you for spreading the word.
Cathy and Rich

Action 19. 7.5
Daredevil 1  1941. 4.5
Daredevil 1  1964. 4.5
Detective 144. 9.0
Mystery In Space 4  9.4
Spider-Man 1   5.0
Spider-Man 1  3.5
Startling 22. 6.5
Sweethearts 119. 4.5
Tales of Suspense 2.  7.0
Tales of Suspense 3. 7.0
Tales To Astonish 9. 8.5

Edited by G.A.tor

26 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Muchin got a stack of books stolen 

The following books were stolen from Tomorrow's Treasures at Wizard Chicago, Saturday, August 24.  Thank you for spreading the word.
Cathy and Rich

Action 19. 7.5
Daredevil 1  1941. 4.5
Daredevil 1  1964. 4.5
Detective 144. 9.0
Mystery In Space 4  9.4
Spider-Man 1   5.0
Spider-Man 1  3.5
Startling 22. 6.5
Sweethearts 119. 4.5
Tales of Suspense 2.  7.0
Tales of Suspense 3. 7.0
Tales To Astonish 9. 8.5

OMG!!!!!!  Thieves are everywhere!

Thieves are the worst. I've lost product and goods and it was like a punch to the gut. Hope they get caught and that the seller was insured. I've always felt that there's not enough of a security presence at shows where many tables have tens to hundreds of thousands of value with no security in sight.

This has gotton to be a problem of epic proportions. I’m not surprised with what books are bringing these days. 

Worse than “feeling like carp” Hector. More like cutting out your heart and stomping on it. 

A question I always ask myself though, How does this happen especially on big keys like a Spidey #1? I know dealers are busy and distracted but shouldn’t books like this be kept in a case or a place where no one but the dealer can access them? 

When I do shows, I have my best books back where no one but me can get to them. I like a table against the wall in the middle where no one can get into. 

Not that I ever have many books like that for sale but if I do, I bring a heavy locked display case and watch them like a hawk. I know I have had books lifted from my boxes and have caught several thieves over the years. But nothing that would kill me if they disappeared. 

Just sickening and so bad for the hobby...

5 hours ago, Robot Man said:

This has gotton to be a problem of epic proportions. I’m not surprised with what books are bringing these days. 

Worse than “feeling like carp” Hector. More like cutting out your heart and stomping on it. 

A question I always ask myself though, How does this happen especially on big keys like a Spidey #1? I know dealers are busy and distracted but shouldn’t books like this be kept in a case or a place where no one but the dealer can access them? 

When I do shows, I have my best books back where no one but me can get to them. I like a table against the wall in the middle where no one can get into. 

Not that I ever have many books like that for sale but if I do, I bring a heavy locked display case and watch them like a hawk. I know I have had books lifted from my boxes and have caught several thieves over the years. But nothing that would kill me if they disappeared. 

Just sickening and so bad for the hobby...

The lack of visible security was an issue brought up by another dealer. Needless to say, this is something that will be strongly expressed to the folks at Wizard

Not sure why so many people are down on the show.  I thought it was excellent.  Last time I went was in 2017 and 2019 was significantly better.  The selection of books was awesome and many of the heavy hitting dealers were there.  Four of us went for 3 days and it was a blast and we couldn't have been happier with the setup.  I never once had anyone try to sell me anything.  I talked with a few of the dealers and they said this con was excellent from a sales perspective.  I look forward to 2020.