• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wizard World Chicago — August 22-25, 2019
1 1

181 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Did Muchin's books get stolen during the show or after hours?  These thieves are getting ballsier every show because his setup seems like it would deter a thief right away.  

During, from what I understand 

30 minutes ago, Logan510 said:

I heard it happened during off show hours.

Yes that was two years ago. Few books were stolen during the closed hours. Last year, one book was stolen during the show last year.

11 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

It was during the show 

+1

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

It was during the show 

Wow, I can’t even begin to conceive how someone would take that many books off a display without being seen.  Especially with his setup.  The stealing is getting to the point where it’s just safer for dealers to no longer attend.

Edited by comicquant

20 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Wow, I can’t even begin to conceive how someone would take that many books off a display without being seen.  Especially with his setup.  The stealing is getting to the point where it’s just safer for dealers to no longer attend.

A pile of books had been pulled and set on the back of a table. The thief inquired about the books, were told they were on hold for another, left booth and proceeded to walk behind booth and through the curtain snatched the pile. That’s what Cathy told me they believe happened 

1 hour ago, comicquant said:

Not sure why so many people are down on the show.  I thought it was excellent.  Last time I went was in 2017 and 2019 was significantly better.  The selection of books was awesome and many of the heavy hitting dealers were there.  Four of us went for 3 days and it was a blast and we couldn't have been happier with the setup.  I never once had anyone try to sell me anything.  I talked with a few of the dealers and they said this con was excellent from a sales perspective.  I look forward to 2020.    

I would agree with John's comments, as I felt that the selection of mid-high grade GA/SA books was much stronger this year as compared to 2017.  I did notice fewer $1-5 books/modern variant dealers present, but as that's not really my focus, I wasn't too bothered by that trend.  

My main grabs for myself and my son were:

fullsizeoutput_ffc.thumb.jpeg.ed79abb722e966ffa8bbf76b5b6c93b6.jpeg

All in all, a fun show/weekend, even if Richard Grieco tried to steal our Uber!

On 8/23/2019 at 8:42 AM, jsilverjanet said:

Also part the wall on the western side (I think) wasn’t set up due to water leaking from the roof 

What was your thoughts about the show?  Worth your time?  Sounds like you used it as a meeting place but was it up to snuff?

Edited by 1Cool

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

What was your thoughts about the show?  Worth your time?  Sounds like you used it as a meeting place but was it up to snuff?

I won't speak for him as we buy different stuff, but I found it to be a much better buying show than I expected it to be this year.

With three major shows there was a lot of space this year at the show.  Fan Expo and Reed Philly definitely draws away customers and guests from doing the show.

Overall I had a great buying and selling show so honestly I did not lose any customers to either of the shows.    

Have heard different reports on Reed Philly show but if the dates don't conflict with next years Wizard Show I would be doing it.