• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC label "American Occupation Zone stamp on front cover."

16 posts in this topic

I wish I'd kept a picture, but I saw a Dell book stamped 'for sale to US servicemen only' in an Australian eBay auction. During WW2 (and for years after) the Australian market for magazines and comics was highly protected, and I surmise that the copy was sold in a PX and stamped to stop it being 'black marketed' to the locals!

I believe besides me, Marmat and Black Lantern bought that comics from a older Gentleman from Munich a couple of years ago. He told me that when he was a kid in the late 40s/early 50s his mother had a paper shop in Munich and the G.I.s brought regularly old comics to the shop. Mainly DC and Fox GGA. I believe BL bought a PL 17 from him (?). All books were stamped US Zone.

Edited by GermanFan

55 minutes ago, GermanFan said:

I believe besides me, Marmat and Black Lantern bought that comics from a older Gentleman from Munich a couple of years ago. He told me that when he was a kid in the late 40s/early 50s his mother had a paper shop in Munich and the G.I.s brought regularly old comics to the shop. Mainly DC and Fox GGA. I believe BL bought a PL 17 from him (?). All books were stamped US Zone.

Correct, but not all books were stamped, I wonder why. Since then I discovered two other collections from that time in Austria. I'm sure most of the books didn't survive, but there are a few people who really kept them.