• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opening a new brick and mortar shop
13 13

196 posts in this topic

This first post isn't part of the story that follows. It's mostly just to address some likely reactions and get those out of the way... If you're the type who always pushes "skip intro" on Netflix, you could skip this and not miss much. But it's here.

Those of you who were members 15 years ago are well aware that I write like I am being paid by the word. For the rest of you, eye bleeding awaits you.

To get these caveats out of the way... No, I am not selling anything online. No, I am not hoping to sell anything here on these forums. I haven't made a mail order commitment to anyone in over a decade, and have no plans to do so within the next few years. If I ever reach the point where mail order is something that should be connected to my business, I will designate someone else to do it. No, I am not requesting to be removed from the Probation List.

For those of you super-confused because you have no clue who I am? I suppose my custom title speaks for itself. There was a time I was a very successful eBay seller. PowerSeller with shooting stars and all that nonsense, shipping a hundred packages a week. Then I had a meltdown and my customers suffered. Then I thought I had gotten myself straight, and loads of people were happy to give me second chances because of the past goodwill I had built up. Then I melted down again. Then I thought I had gotten myself straight again. And yep, there were still folks willing to give me more chances. And I melted down again...

Then I left the comic industry for a decade. I resolved all my outstanding CGC Forum debts, and made good on failed eBay transactions. I donated 50,000 comics to charity. I sold the bulk of the "good stuff" that was left to dealer friends. I tossed a few boxes in the closet as my "personal collection". And I went and got a real job. As part of that job, I wound up at SDCC every year for a half dozen years. And I ran into several board members there while working the other side of the fence. Then I moved to San Francisco. Then I moved to China.

Through all of that, I continued pining for another shop. Every time I was in a strip center that said it had space available, I took a peek in the windows and thought about whether a shop could be viable there. What was the foot traffic like. How was the tenant mix. How was parking. How far way were the nearest shops. Even as I climbed the ladder in my career, the back of my mind was always churning with the desire to hang out my shingle again.

I thought a lot about what I did wrong in my past shops. I thought a little about what I did right. I planned changes. There are three or four notebooks on a bookshelf in my living room where I periodically jotted down ideas of things I wanted to do differently the next time around. With no actual timetable for that "next time". No guarantee it would ever come...

But it did. And since threads about opening new comic shops seem to be popular, I thought I would share a little here. And rest assured, for all of you who wish you could stab 2007 Lighthouse (or 2004 Lighthouse) in the kidneys just to watch him suffer for his crimes? I do as well. That guy cost me years of happiness and gave me a decade of terrible credit. He wasted a perfectly good marriage. He ruined friendships. He made enemies. All, apparently, to teach me a lesson. And given the only lessons we truly learn from are painful ones, that guy was one hell of a teacher.

Grab some popcorn, Greggy. Story time with Lighthouse awaits.

When I returned from China, I didn't really plan to open another comic shop. My life had taken me in a pretty winding direction, and the end result was that I was nearly debt free, had professional certifications that would allow me to get a decent salary job pretty much anywhere, and had no special ties to the Bay Area (the locale I left for China).

So I spent the first few months back in the US exploring my options. I didn't need income for a while, and my professional field is one where it is inappropriate to take a position without committing to at least 5-7 years with a firm. Until I knew what I really wanted to do, I didn't want to rush into a 7-year commitment anywhere. And I certainly didn't want to take the risk of making that commitment and then needing to bail after a year (weakening my resume in the process).

So I helped out a friend for a while, and readjusted to living in America again. Even though I was only in East Asia for 14 months, mostly in China with some time in Thailand and Cambodia, the adjustment back to life in the US was much more difficult than I expected. You don't realize how much sugar is in everything until you spend time away. And I had developed several transportation habits in Asia that amount to survival skills there but might get you killed in America (such as jaywalking across 14 lanes of traffic one at a time while cars are coming). The fresh air here was fantastic. The everpresent cheese and cream sauces on everything, not so much. And strangely I had gotten used to people staring at me everywhere I went. It was odd being so anonymous again, though certainly welcome at times.

Pretty soon I looked up and realized it was time to make some decisions about income. And I started the process of researching whether a shop was viable.

Edited by lighthouse

Does opening a shop make sense?

Unfortunately, that's a question that very few shop owners actually answer before beginning. It's not quite as bad as vape shops. I am convinced there is no one in America who is more optimistic than "that guy who just opened a vape shop". But there are many good and decent people opening comic shops that have no business being an entrepreneur in the first place.

It's funny. Because one of the things that really struck me during my time in China is that the entrepreneurial spirit in China dwarfs anything we see in the US. There are so many more people willing to stick their neck out and make a go of having their own business. So many people willing to put in the 70-80 hours a week every single week in order to be their own boss. My downstairs neighbor was a BBQ restaurant (technically a chaun'r restaurant). I got to know the owner reasonably well during my year there even though he spoke no English (and I speak almost no Mandarin). His restaurant was open 7 days a week all year round with the exception of two national holidays totaling about 15 days, when he would pack up his family and take them back to his ancestral home in the countryside. 70-80 hours a week, 50 weeks a year, year in and year out. China doesn't have the barriers to entry we do in the US. So if you own a wheelbarrow and want to have a business hauling auto parts around town from shop to shop, boom, you now have your own business. No licensing, no permits, no taxes, you're a business owner.

But just in the year I was there, I saw a dozen businesses within 50 meters of my door open and close. There's no Chamber of Commerce, no Small Business Administration, no community college classes to take, few opportunities to get mentoring of any kind. I visited restaurants with amazing food that had no idea how to price their meals. One place would deliver a kilogram of noodle soup directly to my door for 10 RMB (roughly $1.40 at the time) including paying a guy on a moped to bring it to me, and the delivery driver wouldn't accept tips. I would have happily paid 30 RMB for the same dish, but unsurprisingly, they went out of business because no one could make that business model work.

First things first

The very first piece of research, before wasting time with business plans and financing questions, is pretty simple. Are there more shops than normal in your area, or fewer shops than normal in your area?

If the nationwide average were 1 comic shop for every 10,000 population, and you lived in a town of 100,000 people that already had 20 shops? You better be awfully certain about your ability to put your competition out of business. And you better feel that doing so is the best return on your capital. Otherwise you're a lot better off just buying some Coca-Cola stock and getting a job working for someone else.

The actual number of shops nationwide is obviously nowhere near 1 per 10,000. But if you are pondering opening a new store and you don't know these numbers? You are flying blind.

The excellent website http://www.comichron.com/

Has a ton of research information available. With snapshots of the marketplace over the last decade or so, allowing you to see publisher trends and product trends, as well as general health metrics of the industry. And of course you want to visit Diamond's own website as well. Any brick and mortar retailer that sells new comics is a de facto employee of Diamond, and it's worth researching your new employer.

There are roughly 3,000 comic shops in North America. There is roughly 1 comic shop for every 115,000 population in the US. And that number has been fairly stable for over a decade. If you are considering opening a shop in a town of 60,000 people and there is already one there? It's going to be very difficult for you to succeed. If you are considering opening a shop in a metro of 700,000 people that only has 3 shops? There is a very good chance the market is underserved, and you can grow your business quickly. You'll need to find out WHY there are only 3 shops. Is one of them the size of 4 normal shops put together and is a destination for people from 300 miles away with immense inventory and legendary customer service? That should factor into your mental calculus. But in general, markets that are underserved are much more fertile than those who over overserved.

Obviously you also need to factor in population growth expectations. Your population count could be a little light if you were opening in North Las Vegas, and have the population grow to support you. And you'd want to be wary of opening in an area that is experiencing heavy outward migration. Population loss is wonderful for shortening your morning commute, but it is not a boon of retail.

Obviously... since I am here posting... the math in my area was good. It was an underserved area, potentially fertile for growth.

Edited by lighthouse

4 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Then I left the comic industry for a decade. I resolved all my outstanding CGC Forum debts, and made good on failed eBay transactions. I donated 50,000 comics to charity. I sold the bulk of the "good stuff" that was left to dealer friends. I tossed a few boxes in the closet as my "personal collection". And I went and got a real job. As part of that job, I wound up at SDCC every year for a half dozen years. And I ran into several board members there while working the other side of the fence. Then I moved to San Francisco. Then I moved to China.

You resolved all of your CGC forum debts? You're still on the probation list. Care to explain?

I think I have the vapors......I was OK until we left China. It is getting a bit difficult to follow. Now I know what my posts must look like to others. I am so sorry. Really.