• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opening a new brick and mortar shop
13 13

196 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2018 at 9:44 PM, lighthouse said:

It resulted in us reducing our orders for issue 2. There's still time before the FOC date, obviously, since initial orders for Batman Damned 2 were due tonight. But rather than planning for 50-75 shelf sales to go along with sales of second prints of #1, we are planning for around 10-15 shelf sales of 2.

The $4-5k in value in Damned 1 is a nice windfall. But I would have much preferred to be able to bring in more new readers. Mainstream media coverage brings former collectors out of the woodwork, and each of those visits is a chance to bring someone back to the hobby. Second prints of Batman Damned not only would have sold themselves (and issues 2 and 3), they would have resulted in additional sales of other current DC titles and DC trades.

It's a short-sighted decision by DC. But it's their company. They can run it how they like...

The cover to #2 looks good. You may want to rethink how far you cut back on it as the cover will sell the book for a while IMHO.

On 10/16/2018 at 2:29 PM, Malavin said:

I’m enjoying this post. Any more to add lighthouse?

It's been a very busy couple of weeks with training recently hired employees and processing new collections. But I hope to be able to carve out a couple hours in the next week or two to talk about how months 2-4 went.

And I still can't decide what to do with these...IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.a75636f11b52cff3be26ee064a300086.JPG

Sell all of them raw... Slab the best 25-30... Sell them as original shrinkwrapped bundles... Sigh...

I guess until I make up my mind... they will just sit...

26 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

It's been a very busy couple of weeks with training recently hired employees and processing new collections. But I hope to be able to carve out a couple hours in the next week or two to talk about how months 2-4 went.

And I still can't decide what to do with these...IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.a75636f11b52cff3be26ee064a300086.JPG

Sell all of them raw... Slab the best 25-30... Sell them as original shrinkwrapped bundles... Sigh...

I don’t think they’ll slab that book.  It would be interesting to see what you could get for a bundle though.

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

I don’t think they’ll slab that book.  It would be interesting to see what you could get for a bundle though.

Amazing to me that there has already been a sale of $2500 for a slabbed copy... even for a CGC 10, that's insane...

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:
29 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

There are already multiple cgc 9.9 and perfect 10s...

Blow them out raw! But didn't you say that you originally limited it one per customer? 

My LCS still has copies of both covers, I suggest selling while you can. :foryou:

3 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Amazing to me that there has already been a sale of $2500 for a slabbed copy... even for a CGC 10, that's insane...

Whoops!  I thought I read somewhere they wouldn’t slab it.  Guess I was wrong.

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

There are already multiple cgc 9.9 and perfect 10s...

Blow them out raw! But didn't you say that you originally limited it one per customer? 

My LCS still has copies of both covers, I suggest selling while you can. :foryou:

We did. Sold them at cover price for a few days after the secondary market was already at $40+. Made lots of flippers happy, but that's part of the deal.

Since then we have given away a half dozen copies to some of our better customers. We do the same thing with many of the hot cover variants (recent Mattina covers, recent Jenny Frison covers, and very recently the Putri covers... along with old standby, Artgerm). We hold a few back here and there for back issue sales, and slab a few to sell on MYCS, but the ones in the 9.4-9.6 range usually get distributed for free.

10 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

We did. Sold them at cover price for a few days after the secondary market was already at $40+. Made lots of flippers happy, but that's part of the deal.

Since then we have given away a half dozen copies to some of our better customers. We do the same thing with many of the hot cover variants (recent Mattina covers, recent Jenny Frison covers, and very recently the Putri covers... along with old standby, Artgerm). We hold a few back here and there for back issue sales, and slab a few to sell on MYCS, but the ones in the 9.4-9.6 range usually get distributed for free.

Give them all to me

20 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

8 minutes ago, greggy said:

Give them all to me

:takeit:1 just 1 I'm not too greedy ;)

37 minutes ago, greggy said:

Give them all to me

I tell you what, Greggy... you come visit before Christmas, and I will give you a free set of both covers of Batman Damned.

I'll even let you look through some sweet sweet DCs sitting in the warehouse location from a collection we won't get to before spring.

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Perhaps I wasn't greedy enough. :baiting:

:jokealert:

Nah, I still owe Greggy for picking up the tab on our sushi lunch in Vancouver about 15 years ago, when I visited his collection in person.

I mean, I was visiting Greggy too... but let's be honest... it was all about the sweet, sweet DCs. (worship)(worship)(worship)

1 hour ago, lighthouse said:

Nah, I still owe Greggy for picking up the tab on our sushi lunch in Vancouver about 15 years ago, when I visited his collection in person.

I mean, I was visiting Greggy too... but let's be honest... it was all about the sweet, sweet DCs. (worship)(worship)(worship)

You got to see Greggy’s collection?

44 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

You got to see Greggy’s collection?

LOL... That would imply I had spent two months in his residence.

But I was indeed honored to spend a brief visit, with Greggy pulling cherished treasures out of boxes and showing them off, yes. (worship)(worship)(worship)