• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone else mildly annoyed when....

31 posts in this topic

the Church collection is referred to as the Mile High Collection, or the Mile High Pedigree? 

Its Edgar Church Pedigree, or Edgar Church Collection. 

It just feels like advertising for the guy when it's called by the finder's name (and actually not his name but his shop!)

I cant think of another collection that gets this naming... I mean some are just named for their city of origin... but an actual shop? 

1 minute ago, miraclemet said:

the Church collection is referred to as the Mile High Collection, or the Mile High Pedigree? 

It just feels like advertising for the guy when it's called by the finder's name (and actually not his name but his shop!)

I cant think of another collection that gets this naming... I mean some are just named for their city of origin... but an actual shop? 

cosmic aeroplane :)

Just now, miraclemet said:

It really doesn't bug me. Everyone who cares knows where it came from. 

17 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

It's not named after the shop.  It's named after the city's nickname.  Just like River City, Crescent City, etc.   The Broncos play in Mile High stadium.  

Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind seeing the original collector's name on the label.  Like Tom Reilly/San Francisco instead of just San Francisco.  Realize some like Okajima would be unknown but for those that are known, it would be a nice nod of provenance and respect.  Unless there are some legal ramifications in doing this, of course.  

15 minutes ago, Primetime said:

Similarly, (with all due respect to Ron!) when the Reilly pedigree is/has always been referred to as the San Francisco’s :insane:...

Did anyone ever find information to support the story behind the Reilly books or is it still a possible scam?

1 hour ago, telerites said:

Thinking about it, I wouldn't mind seeing the original collector's name on the label.  Like Tom Reilly/San Francisco instead of just San Francisco.  Realize some like Okajima would be unknown but for those that are known, it would be a nice nod of provenance and respect.  Unless there are some legal ramifications in doing this, of course.  

Agreed. 

1 hour ago, cheetah said:

Did anyone ever find information to support the story behind the Reilly books or is it still a possible scam?

I believe it’s legit considering all the sources I’ve spoken to and read throughout the years. I did have one person say they were iffy on if Reilly actually died in a Kamaze crash. It seems true though that he died in the war. His parents sealing up his room for 25 years plus is a normal reaction/response. Someone (Nearmint?) posted this 1939 yearbook pic of Tom Reilly awhile back to prove someone by that name at least existed in the right time era. 

E4BAEEF4-0AA3-4459-8AA9-8B372BCD33BB.jpeg

Edited by Primetime

26 minutes ago, telerites said:

Well I'm naive, Jeff.  I had never heard the possibility of a scam.  

It was just that the dates, names, and locations didn't match up with any Tom Reilly killed in WWII.  It is pretty obvious that a Reilly owned the books though the first name didn't necessarily match up with "Tom" when you look at the signature.  I had come to the general conclusion that the kamikaze attack was made up.

16 minutes ago, cheetah said:

It was just that the dates, names, and locations didn't match up with any Tom Reilly killed in WWII.  It is pretty obvious that a Reilly owned the books though the first name didn't necessarily match up with "Tom" when you look at the signature.  I had come to the general conclusion that the kamikaze attack was made up.

I do remember that now.  Thanks, Jeff.

I have no problem with the name 'Mile High' being attached to this collection as well as Church. All the evidence suggests that this collection would not be around for us to marvel at without two people - Edgar Church and Chuck R. I think that if Chuck wasn't such a huckster there'd be much less push back about it, but he still did a net service to the comic world here. 2c

4 hours ago, telerites said:

Agreed