• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ditko's estate...
6 6

199 posts in this topic

Ditko seemed to relish the reclusive lifestyle he opted for.

If the story is true about him refusing the Amazing Fantasy 15 original art from the donor who ultimately donated it to the Library of Congress, that about sums up what he valued as important in life. That art alone would have at least doubled or tripled (or more?) his net worth. It didn't matter to him.

He lived life on his terms.

Through the years Marvel corp has earned Billions and Billions of $$$$$$$ on Spider-Man. And the guy who essentially created EVERYTHING significant about this Icon is left with a

0,00000000000000000000001%

of the earnings.

Its wrong, unjust and I am disgusted beyond words. Marvel and Stan Lee can go feick themselves as far as Im concerned. Moral corruption. What a fagcorp ...

Ive been buying Marvel for 30 years. NEVER again !!!

Edited by Mr bla bla

The end of the story is crushing.  He died alone and was not found for days after death.  It sounded like he was reclusive enough to not want to around people at the end but for one of the comic book icons to go out like that is just sad

12 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Very sad. It's a disgrace he & Kirby never get the credit they deserve. 

6 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

Through the years Marvel corp has earned Billions and Billions of $$$$$$$ on Spider-Man. And the guy who essentially created EVERYTHING significant about this Icon is left with a

of the earnings.

Its wrong, unjust and I am disgusted beyond words. Marvel and Stan Lee can go feick themselves as far as Im concerned. Moral corruption. What a fagcorp ...

dont do that. jack kirby is a completely different story, but Steve Ditko, did not get the "credit deserved" which was alot for how brilliant his work was, but he did not want it, if steve ditko was more like stan and would have been in the public eye, i have no doubt he would of appeared right along stan in the cameos for spiderman and doctor strange, and im sure he would have been much more well known and respected by a wider audience. steve lived on steve's terms he took no BS from anyone. he passed alone becuase he never really found love i guess, maybe he did who knows. but steve was like that. he lived for himself. thats not to say he would of nejoyed other people, i am sure he did. i heard he was very kind to his neices and was a very good person. but who really knows what i do know is in no way is it Stan lee's fault what so ever. and Marvel is not really to blame either. its just Steve Ditko never wanted, fame, he never wanted fortune, he drew becuase he was good at it, becuase he liked doing it. if steve did not like to draw he would of stopped a very long time ago. but he continued to work until he last days. he publushed 3 brand new mr A stories from 2018 with Robin Synder. and a bunch before that. he loved to do it and thats why he did it. he always said he does not give interviews becuase he wanted his work to speak for itself and no one was going to tell him otehrwise. he was so amazing and he has always been my favorite artist in comics. i wish he would have been more public but steve just at the end of the day did not like that kind of stuff, if he did he would have. 

Sad to know Dikto never get the meaning of what it was like being the creator of Spider-Man and Doctor Strange being popular for decades. But I respected his wishes to be reclusive from all that. This is who he was and did the walk to his end. To me, I will know him as one of the great artists who really enjoyed what he did. 

I would like to know if he did saw any of the Marvel movies, but I guess we’ll never know. However, there was one report that Ditko did accepted one letter contained his royalties earned from Doctor Strange movie. The letter was sent to the wrong apt suite in the same building by postman’s mistake. The tenant went to Dikto’s door to give this letter. Opened door, Dikto saw the letter and took, thanked to the tenant. On the letter was from the marvel studios by the address. 

That was how the tenant figured out and shared the story. 

14 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Very sad. It's a disgrace he & Kirby never get the credit they deserve. 

I wouldn't say 'never'.  Both get co-creator credits in the Marvel movies.  But, yeah, for Kirby and his heirs especially the financial compensation never came close to matching what it should have been, either from the movie or art worlds.

Beyond that, it's a shame Kirby doesn't get all the accolades he deserves as a creator of mythological fiction.  After all, the Darth Vader character was pretty obviously created with Dr. Doom in mind.  The Marvel movie universe is jam packed with Kirby creations and co-creations - it was a bit disappointing how little attention Kirby received for his mid-'60s creation of an African superhero when Black Panther crushed at the box office.

As for Ditko, if the stories are accurate then he had an opportunity to reap millions from the AF15 original artwork (one can only imagine what record price for original comic art the story would've fetched at auction), but chose to not get what he merited financially.  Still, he was able to live to a ripe old age over 90 in Manhattan and still leave a >$1 million estate behind, so at least he was far from a pauper.

Edited by namisgr

Steve Dikto reminded me of my late uncle.  He didn't want to do anything with his family for the will after his mother was passing away.  He told them that he didn't want anything from the will. After my grandfather was gone, he became more isolated and out of touch with us. I hadn't seen or heard of him for 15 years after sorting out on the will until his body was found inside the trailer by the police after few complaints about the strong odor. His body was advanced state of decomposition.  His funeral was the most saddened moment in my life. He never married or had children. He had one relationship with the young oriental for five years but she left him in a long time ago before his mother's death.  He never wrote a will for his family. I heard that his estate was in 6 figures worth but I don't know where his money went to.  I guess the isolation makes the life harder.

8 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

of the earnings.

Try the decaf.

" Generally, when no relatives can be found, the entire estate goes to the state. "

LOL.  Even if I had no relatives or anyone or an organization I wanted to pass my estate onto before passing, I would at least have a specific set of instructions to have everything in my name and under my ownership burned and or destroyed before allowing the state to take ownership.  That includes leveling my home and burning all my possession if so necessary.  No way in firey, burning Hell I'd give the State department anything.

9 hours ago, Mr bla bla said:

of the earnings.

Your choice of username is highly appropriate.

25 minutes ago, HENRYSPENCER said:

" Generally, when no relatives can be found, the entire estate goes to the state. "

LOL.  Even if I had no relatives or anyone or an organization I wanted to pass my estate onto before passing, I would at least have a specific set of instructions to have everything in my name and under my ownership burned and or destroyed before allowing the state to take ownership.  That includes leveling my home and burning all my possession if so necessary.  No way in firey, burning Hell I'd give the State department anything.

You could consider schools or charities before burning and destruction.