• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPidey 60 Cover OA in heritage Nov 2018 auction!
2 2

23 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, The Voord said:

Lots of tape holding the stats/paste-ups together and a badly placed signature might be off-putting to some.

I doubt it. If you're spending $200-$250K on this, then you are getting it professionally conserved. The tape will be removed, and archival materials will be used. As for the signature....it's Romita, so I doubt it.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

11 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

The spider-man figure appears to be hand drawn paste up, cant see where it ends though. I assume this is another cover with elements pasted together?

This look like a 280-300k cover?

The description says Spidey isn't a paste up, but the logo is. Looking closely at it on the hi res scan, it's hard to tell. This is something I would definitely want to do due diligence on if I was bidding on it. 

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

The spider-man figure appears to be hand drawn paste up, cant see where it ends though. I assume this is another cover with elements pasted together?

This look like a 280-300k cover?

Top half of Spidey is definitely a paste-up (and maybe parts of Kingpin).  If you opt for the larger scan on the Heritage , you can detect all this.

51 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Top half of Spidey is definitely a paste-up (and maybe parts of Kingpin).  If you opt for the larger scan on the Heritage , you can detect all this.

I think that the top half of Spidey was cut out of the board so the logo could be slipped under. Looks like OA.

6 minutes ago, Stan Singh said:

I think that the top half of Spidey was cut out of the board so the logo could be slipped under. Looks like OA.

Good observation. I can see that for sure, especially in the large scan

46 minutes ago, Stan Singh said:

Oh, I don't doubt that it's original art, but you can also detect the paste-up area extending beyond the logo area if you look closely - around Spidey's head and extended arm, for instance.  I also see similar signs around Kingpin's legs.

Edited by The Voord

3 hours ago, The Voord said:

Oh, I don't doubt that it's original art, but you can also detect the paste-up area extending beyond the logo area if you look closely - around Spidey's head and extended arm, for instance.  I also see similar signs around Kingpin's legs.

Yeah - I see signs around both arms and Kingpin's upper legs.  As well, do I see a tear going through Kingpin's right foot?

Has the page been trimmed almost right to the edge of the art?

13 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Yeah - I see signs around both arms and Kingpin's upper legs.  As well, do I see a tear going through Kingpin's right foot?

Has the page been trimmed almost right to the edge of the art?

Yes, the artboard's been trimmed close to the image, which you can see in one of the two images (and is also mentioned in the description).  Such trimming is fairly common with twice-up Marvel covers (I've got one myself that's closely trimmed) and, yes, there does appear to be a tear going through Kingpin's foot.

Nothing uncommon about paste-ups and re-jigging of artwork images (all part of the tweaking in the production process).  But, hey, what's not to like about a vintage LA Spidey cover?

Obviously the taped elements can be removed (never said they couldn't be) but the Romita signature is not ideally positioned (and we've already had discussions about such signatures being placed within the image area - which most folks aren't exactly ecstatic about).

Regardless of my observations, I think the cover will do very well in auction.  

44 minutes ago, The Voord said:

Yes, the artboard's been trimmed close to the image, which you can see in one of the two images (and is also mentioned in the description).  Such trimming is fairly common with twice-up Marvel covers (I've got one myself that's closely trimmed) and, yes, there does appear to be a tear going through Kingpin's foot.

Nothing uncommon about paste-ups and re-jigging of artwork images (all part of the tweaking in the production process).  But, hey, what's not to like about a vintage LA Spidey cover?

Obviously the taped elements can be removed (never said they couldn't be) but the Romita signature is not ideally positioned (and we've already had discussions about such signatures being placed within the image area - which most folks aren't exactly ecstatic about).

Regardless of my observations, I think the cover will do very well in auction.  

Keep repeating the mantra..."it was production art"  lol

Edited by pemart1966