• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on selling ~7000 books in bulk?

23 posts in this topic

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 11:10 AM, RCheli said:

I mean, think about it. Look at most people's collections from the past 30 years. There are a handful of keys and then some semi-keys. And then...

How much do you think you could get for some Spectacular Spider-Man issues from the 90s? Other than the Maximum Carnage issues where, maybe, you get $3 each, it's all $1 books. Or X-Man. Or Blue Beetle. Or Justice League. Or whatever. And it's a long process to sell those books. Hot issues sell right away. It's the common ones that just sit there. And you have to bag them. Maybe put boards on them. That's time and money.

Where I am, I'm not getting a dollar a book for these runs....I remember I had a mid grade run of SSM years ago that took me a long time to sell locally for $1/each for the run, it had a lot of keys in there too (first five issues I think, etc.).   

Edited by spreads

On 8/29/2018 at 10:44 AM, Schmakt said:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't have much luck with the search feature... if anyone has something bookmarked I'd be happy to go read an old post instead of starting a new one!

But anyway...

I'm trying to do another one of those 5-10 year cleans and am just wondering what varying levels of success people have had with different outlets and/or anything you may have done to make your lot easier to sell and more attractive to a potential buyer.

I'm currently putting every issue into the mycomicshop.com database, so that will give me an absolute bottom line offer.  Of course, they are want to buy like 25% of what I actually have, and if they don't end up being able to make an off on ALL of it I'm not interested in searching out specific issues and breaking up runs.

As I'm creating this list I'm also keeping a manual Excel sheet thinking that I could easily print that out or email it around.  Excel list has an approximate grade as I'm trying to keep it matched with the MCS list - which does not offer every potential grade on the 10-point scale.

95% of everything is bag/board, everything is alphabetized, and all mini-series/full sets/long runs are also bagged together and labeled (the idea being that, if I setup at a con, it would be easy to sell the sets)

So...

Has anyone had a particularly good (or bad) experience with selling in bulk to any of the online retailers?

Is it worth going to a local show with my list in hand and attempt to solicit offers?

I've seen "Buy Me Out" signs at cons before, but I'm not sure I've ever actually seen anyone get bought out... would anyone recommend that?

I'd prefer, of course, to sell locally due to the volume of books being moved, and I know I can go down to the LCS (which I like), but I'd like to have a couple of offers at least before just letting it go to the easiest route.

Is it even worth trying to post on Craig's list?

I'm hoping to finish cataloging and double-checking everything by the end of summer, so just soliciting ideas as to what the best next step would be...

Thanks!!

(Oh, and I'm only moving raw comics this time...)

Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist or Shelton Drum at Hero's Aren't Hard to Find.  Then again 7,000 plus back issues, if it's cr@p Shelton's not going to want it either.

Edited by HENRYSPENCER

On 8/30/2018 at 11:10 AM, RCheli said:

I mean, think about it. Look at most people's collections from the past 30 years. There are a handful of keys and then some semi-keys. And then...

How much do you think you could get for some Spectacular Spider-Man issues from the 90s? Other than the Maximum Carnage issues where, maybe, you get $3 each, it's all $1 books. Or X-Man. Or Blue Beetle. Or Justice League. Or whatever. And it's a long process to sell those books. Hot issues sell right away. It's the common ones that just sit there. And you have to bag them. Maybe put boards on them. That's time and money.

I sell those regularly for $3 a pop at my imaginary comic shop.