• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The classic iconic cover thread.
4 4

577 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, FoggyNelson said:

Does.not get more iconic than KISS

Plus first comic cover that used real blood. Apparantly Kiss used their own blood.

True or False? KISS Band Members Mixed Their Blood With Red Ink For Comic Book

https://www.northernstar-online.com/true-or-false-kiss-band/

True or false?

It is well known that the band, KISS, created their characters based as much on comic book superheroes, as from their music. So, it was only natural for them to one day star in their very own comic book. Not one to miss a lucrative money making opportunity, Marvel Comics issued the first ‘Super Special’ KISS comic book in 1977.

Seeing it as an excellent marketing opportunity, KISS was more than willing to go along with a gimmick created to promote first edition sales. Gene Simmons said, “As the KISS comic book project moved along, someone came up with the idea of putting real blood in the ink. It wasn’t me, maybe it was Bill Aucoin or Sean Delaney. We got into a DC-3, one of those big prop planes, and flew up to Buffalo to Marvel’s printing plant, where they print comic books. A notary public actually witnessed our blood being drawn.”

Not only did KISS band members allow their blood to be drawn during a concert stop, they also flew up to New York to be photographed adding their vials of donated blood to a barrel of ink. A notary public certified the authenticity of the process, and the notarized document was released as the ‘KISS comic book contract’.

The contract stated: “This is to certify that KISS members, Gene Simmons, Ace Frehley, Paul Stanley and Peter Criss, have each donated blood which is being collectively mixed with the red ink to be used for the first issue of the Marvel/KISS comics. The blood was extracted on February 21st, 1977, at Nassau Coliseum, and has been under guarded refrigeration until this day, when it was delivered to the Borden Ink plant in Depew, New York.”

True or False? KISS band members mixed their blood with red ink for a comic book.

TRUE

8 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Image result for marvel comics super special [marvel super special]

4 hours ago, FoggyNelson said:

Does.not get more iconic than KISS

Not much in the way of comic book competition for the accolade from Marvel...

latest?cb=20121210184733

16 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

That KISS book was a really big deal when I was a kid. The blood gimmick was covered by the major media, so more than just comic fans were interested in it. And it was a pretty cool book.

In the late 1970s only Star Wars merchandise outsold Kiss merchandise. They were huge for that generation.

21 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

For the record Beatles my all-time favorite group. @namisgr

I recommend this book. Has great George Perez art.

Image result for marvel comics super special [marvel super special]

Marvel Super Special #4: The Beatles Story (1978), script by David Anthony Kraft, art by George Pérez and Klaus Janson

I remember picking this up for the awesome work of Klaus Janson and not George Perez.  Really loved his style and in my eye always improved on the work of mediocre artists.

4 minutes ago, SuperZar said:

I remember picking this up for the awesome work of Klaus Janson and not George Perez.  Really loved his style and in my eye always improved on the work of mediocre artists.

If I believe correctly Janson inked Perez. It has been awhile. All I know was the artwork was awesome.

23 minutes ago, SuperZar said:

Liking both Perez and Janson, I bought it for the combination of pencilling and inking in the book.

Edited by Ken Aldred