• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few Silver Age keys

31 posts in this topic

Here are some scans... these came out much darker than the books look in real life, and much more warped, guess my scanner is bad. But even a rough idea would be appreciated. Just want to get a sense before talking to auction houses. Some of these, to my eyes, compare well already with books rated 8.0 or even higher on auction sites, and probably with a bit of pressing could be bumped up.

CCI00007.thumb.jpg.f1e9bb50b90159dbcd4b2f5123afd41f.jpgCCI00006.thumb.jpg.69f3b22879d876175419643296f2999a.jpgCCI00005.thumb.jpg.a8f6384ef6b80e9327c4a9d17cf3578c.jpgCCI00004.thumb.jpg.8c919ec4dbd8ca05eb7724659f2d7554.jpgCCI00003.thumb.jpg.446d5fed5def6b5a21d64f674f2d1357.jpg

I notice you don't have backer boards in the bags so I would handle these books as little as possible.  Seems like a lot of these finds end up getting dings, dents and creases.  If you plan on taking them to auction I would call them and have them come get them.  I think there's enough there to warrant a trip.

These are all beautiful specimens, and I agree with an earlier poster that on the surface they are at least a 7 if not better.  Without BC scans it's hard to make a call.  When I see stuff like this always interested in the backstory, did you collect these, inherited, estate sale?  In any event congrats on owning some killer SA books.

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:

These are all beautiful specimens, and I agree with an earlier poster that on the surface they are at least a 7 if not better.  Without BC scans it's hard to make a call.  When I see stuff like this always interested in the backstory, did you collect these, inherited, estate sale?  In any event congrats on owning some killer SA books.

Thanks—I met with Heritage yesterday and they gave tentative grades of, IIRC, 7.5 for AF15, 9.0 for JIM 83, 8.0 for FF1, 8.5 for X-Men 1, 9.4 for DC359. 

1 hour ago, solidmotion said:

Thanks—I met with Heritage yesterday and they gave tentative grades of, IIRC, 7.5 for AF15, 9.0 for JIM 83, 8.0 for FF1, 8.5 for X-Men 1, 9.4 for DC359. 

I'd be thinking about taking a vacation in Sarasota, Florida...a real nice town.  :bigsmile:  

20 hours ago, solidmotion said:

Sweet !

Will they be in the Heritage Nov auction ?

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Sweet !

Will they be in the Heritage Nov auction ?

we'll have an update on all that by middle of next week

1 hour ago, Lamborghinikid said:

Do you have an update on the other books ? I would love to hear what the grade estimate for Hulk , Avnegers , Daredevil and Tales of suspense are.  

Hulk has a tiny piece of tape on it which brings it down to a 6.0, but if they can somehow get that off (unlikely) it could be an 8.0 or even higher.

Avengers 9.2, Daredevil 9.2, TOS 9.0.

There's also a more or less complete run of Spider-Man from 3–20 (I think #8 is missing) that's all 9.2 and up. (1 has a corner missing which is why I didn't post it, 2 is 8.5.)

1 hour ago, solidmotion said:

we'll have an update on all that by middle of next week

Hulk has a tiny piece of tape on it which brings it down to a 6.0, but if they can somehow get that off (unlikely) it could be an 8.0 or even higher.

Avengers 9.2, Daredevil 9.2, TOS 9.0.

There's also a more or less complete run of Spider-Man from 3–20 (I think #8 is missing) that's all 9.2 and up. (1 has a corner missing which is why I didn't post it, 2 is 8.5.)

:whee::whee::whee:

This makes me happy when i see someone have a run of books , or any collectible of this caliber under one roof. I don’t know if you are the original owner, if you inherited them , or found them at a yard sale for $5, I hope the best for you if you decide to sell them. Also take plenty of photographs like they are now and then after they are slabbed or auctioned . That way you will have a nice keepsake and good memories of your collection to look back on and pass those stories down to your family and friends. 

On 8/31/2018 at 1:43 PM, The Lions Den said:

I'd be thinking about taking a vacation in Sarasota, Florida...a real nice town.  :bigsmile:  

This.  Selling those beautiful treasures raw is either:

1) leaving a huge amount of money on the table at auction, or

2) opening yourself up for a huge legal $h1t storm if someone were to buy one, submit it to a 3rd party grading company, and find out it's been restored or conserved.

my 2c

As much as i'd love to suggest that you offer those beauties up to us Boardies at Overstreet guide price :roflmao:, it would be a huge disservice to your financial well-being for us to be anything but brutally honest here.  Get thee to CGC for grading.  Either courier those with a company that specializes in transporting valuable / fragile items, or have them packed by an expert and transport then yourself to CGC.   Also, get an insurance policy on those books before you let them out of your sight.  Either a separate policy with your existing homeowners policy (you will need a separate policy for those items), or specifically a collectibles insurance policy.  There are several reputable ones that some board members use.  here's a link:

Best of luck to you.  Keep us updated and let us know what you eventually did with the collection and how it went. 

Edited by davet75

40 minutes ago, davet75 said:

This.  Selling those beautiful treasures raw is either:

1) leaving a huge amount of money on the table at auction, or

2) opening yourself up for a huge legal $h1t storm if someone were to buy one, submit it to a 3rd party grading company, and find out it's been restored or conserved.

my 2c

As much as i'd love to suggest that you offer those beauties up to us Boardies at Overstreet guide price :roflmao:, it would be a huge disservice to your financial well-being for us to be anything but brutally honest here.  Get thee to CGC for grading.  Either courier those with a company that specializes in transporting valuable / fragile items, or have them packed by an expert and transport then yourself to CGC.   Also, get an insurance policy on those books before you let them out of your sight.  Either a separate policy with your existing homeowners policy (you will need a separate policy for those items), or specifically a collectibles insurance policy.  There are several reputable ones that some board members use.  here's a link:

Best of luck to you.  Keep us updated and let us know what you eventually did with the collection and how it went. 

He mentioned speaking to Heritage.  I don't think they will be sold raw.