• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few Silver Age keys

31 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

He mentioned speaking to Heritage.  I don't think they will be sold raw.

True.  Although he could still change his mind and go with another venue.  Either way i'd still recommend a supplemental insurance policy.  The last thing you want to deal with is handing off those books to someone, even Heritage or some other reputable company, and have your book come back damaged (even slightly worse could mean big $$$) and then have to chase down every party in the chain of custody and try to get compensated for your loss. 

On 8/29/2018 at 8:53 PM, solidmotion said:

Here are some scans... these came out much darker than the books look in real life, and much more warped, guess my scanner is bad. But even a rough idea would be appreciated. Just want to get a sense before talking to auction houses. Some of these, to my eyes, compare well already with books rated 8.0 or even higher on auction sites, and probably with a bit of pressing could be bumped up.

CCI00007.thumb.jpg.f1e9bb50b90159dbcd4b2f5123afd41f.jpg

Any concern here about the right edge being trimmed? 

As for the approximate grades, Heritage has vast experience and is likely to give you good ideas on what you can expect from CGC.

Edited by namisgr

13 hours ago, davet75 said:

True.  Although he could still change his mind and go with another venue.  Either way i'd still recommend a supplemental insurance policy.  The last thing you want to deal with is handing off those books to someone, even Heritage or some other reputable company, and have your book come back damaged (even slightly worse could mean big $$$) and then have to chase down every party in the chain of custody and try to get compensated for your loss. 

But I don't think the insurance will cover the books after arrival at an auction house ? They will only be covered while in his possession and probably during shipping to the auction house. It's still good advice, having insurance cannot hurt but I don't think it covers all the trips to CGC via an auction house. He should be able to get a cash advance on this stuff. That would at least mitigate any potential loss.

2 hours ago, trmoore54 said:

No fair showing us these beauties :cloud9: without divulging the back story! :baiting: :baiting:

Very much appreciated by all for you to give us how you acquired!  Enquiring minds need to know!  THX in advance!

Agreed! Attic find? Original owner? Inheritance? Love hearing those stories ...

On 9/3/2018 at 10:45 AM, trmoore54 said:

No fair showing us these beauties :cloud9: without divulging the back story! :baiting: :baiting:

Very much appreciated by all for you to give us how you acquired!  Enquiring minds need to know!  THX in advance!

They're some highlights from my dad's collection, which he amassed as a teenager in the 1960s. Basically, my parents went on vacation a couple weeks ago and I'm moving out of town soon so it was kind of the last good opportunity to look through everything—which hadn't really been touched in 15+ years and hadn't been read since the early 1970s—and catalogue it and bag it, etc. Only in the course of doing all that did my girlfriend and I realize what we were looking at, how much it could all be worth. 

On 9/2/2018 at 9:36 PM, davet75 said:

We are going with Heritage—we are packing up the books today for pickup either today or tomorrow.

Insurance was a big question but basically the gist is that no insurer will insure something that isn't in your possession so the trick was to work on the wording in Heritage's contract until it was to our liking. They were very accommodating on that front.

On 9/3/2018 at 11:06 AM, namisgr said:

Any concern here about the right edge being trimmed? 

As for the approximate grades, Heritage has vast experience and is likely to give you good ideas on what you can expect from CGC.

Nothing is trimmed—it's all literally sat in stacks for the last ~50 years. Read once and never touched again.

I think I gave an update on grades somewhere but basically things are in good shape, lots of 9.0s and up, a few lower where there is something obvious like a bend or a piece of tape but mostly VF and up.

1 hour ago, solidmotion said:

They're some highlights from my dad's collection, which he amassed as a teenager in the 1960s. Basically, my parents went on vacation a couple weeks ago and I'm moving out of town soon so it was kind of the last good opportunity to look through everything—which hadn't really been touched in 15+ years and hadn't been read since the early 1970s—and catalogue it and bag it, etc. Only in the course of doing all that did my girlfriend and I realize what we were looking at, how much it could all be worth. 

We are going with Heritage—we are packing up the books today for pickup either today or tomorrow.

Insurance was a big question but basically the gist is that no insurer will insure something that isn't in your possession so the trick was to work on the wording in Heritage's contract until it was to our liking. They were very accommodating on that front.

Nothing is trimmed—it's all literally sat in stacks for the last ~50 years. Read once and never touched again.

I think I gave an update on grades somewhere but basically things are in good shape, lots of 9.0s and up, a few lower where there is something obvious like a bend or a piece of tape but mostly VF and up.

Congratulations, wonderful books.  Appreciate the back story.

I'm sure Heritage is very accommodating, these are grail books to collectors and will attract a lot of attention and sell for a great deal of money.

I'm a few days late in commenting but seeing as to when his dad was collecting i am probably very nearly the same  age as i began in the 60's. I can tell you as a kid we, my brother, my dad and myself, all would read them. There was no way they would have survived to this day looking so nice. This is a revelation to look at. 

Before anyone asks, i sold about everything in 1979 to buy my wifes engagement ring