• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic legend Marie Severin Passes away
1 1

33 posts in this topic

Very sad.

One of the greatest colourists in comics history, incredibly talented, and, consequently, one of the most important contributors to my all-time favourite comics publisher, EC.

Other than some of her humour material, I’m less familiar with her pencil and ink artwork, I’ll admit.

Edited by Ken Aldred

She will surely be missed. Rip Marie. She could do it all. Pencil, ink. and color. Loved her work in Not Brand Echh! Her version of the Hulk was great also. Subby, Kull, She also designed the Merry Marvel Marching Society Kits back in the 1960's etc. I could go on. 

She was a hoot. I met her several times in the 90s when she and Ramona Fradon did the convention circuit. 

Severin was a great colorist, a really good cartoonist and caraciturist (that is spelled terribly), and seemed to be a real cut up in the offices of Marvel for many years.

Super nice lady. She was friends with one of my friends back in the 80’s/90’s period when I got to meet her several times. Both her and her brother were  underrated artists IMO. 

Great bodies of work by both. 

The SA and BA periods of comic creators is getting mighty thin now with who’s left...:S

RIP

I really, really enjoyed her artwork in the bronze age. Not only was she a super talented penciler and colorist, but many might not know, she provided many of the preliminary sketch ups for the bronze age covers. Imagine how much creativity that must have required!

Edited by bronze_rules

All Feldstein used to call her the conscience of EC. She let them know when they went too far, and would often color a panel all blue or red if it was particularly disgusting. Before becoming a comic book artist she almost entered the convent.

57 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

If I'm not mistaken, Marie was the very last person who worked at EC to leave us. A toast to you, funny and talented lady!

I believe Angelo Torres is the "last man standing" from EC

So sorry to see MS Severin go. I met her several times at SDCC. Very upbeat, happy and a super tallented artist. Her often moody coloring on EC's really set the tone. I remember hearing that she toned down a lot of them to be in "better taste".  RIP Marie!