• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Its a BIG ONE! Flash #1

42 posts in this topic

24 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I dont think it's that simple.. theres a chance it would pop the top staple out, and top staple is rusted. Not sure if there is still a bottom staple as I dont see it. Also possible that spine could split. There's a lot to consider.

off white to white pages make that an amazing candidate to get the spine roll removed and pressed and this one looks especially easy to fix/good candidate.  I would not be surprised to see the grade bump up as high as 4.5 if done properly and no issues arise.

6 hours ago, TC33 said:

off white to white pages make that an amazing candidate to get the spine roll removed and pressed and this one looks especially easy to fix/good candidate.  I would not be surprised to see the grade bump up as high as 4.5 if done properly and no issues arise.

Only the one doing the pressing will know more or less if the benefits outweigh the risks involved. Even if pages are supple there is always a risk. Pressing is not 100% safe. Mistakes can always happen. I'm sure most folks on here including myself have heard horror stories of bad pressing.

Still, a very nice book and one anyone would be happy to own including myself. 

8 hours ago, TC33 said:

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Only the one doing the pressing will know more or less if the benefits outweigh the risks involved. Even if pages are supple there is always a risk. Pressing is not 100% safe. Mistakes can always happen. I'm sure most folks on here including myself have heard horror stories of bad pressing.

Still, a very nice book and one anyone would be happy to own including myself. 

Decent PQ doesn't mean this book has the integrity to escape damage by trying to press out the roll. The interior pages are not what makes this a difficult job. The spine is already splitting along the apex of the original fold and the top spine side of the book has been wet so even if the PQ is good the cover is likely dry and fragile. Considering the amount of visible rust on the staple, the paper around it is compromised as well. This book can be improved, but it's far from as simple as pressing out the roll, and well above the scope of what most people (think they) can do. There is a good possibility it would turn into 1.5 with a larger spine split and completely detached. 

Edited by MCMiles

On 8/31/2018 at 10:50 AM, TC33 said:

1 hour ago, Foolkiller said:

The grade is a Universal 3.0 because the centerfold detached during the process.  

The eye appeal improvement is so dramatic that the value of the book I believe has increased just because of that reason alone.  One unit was perhaps a slight disappointment but I'm not complaining in the least.  I love the book.

On 8/31/2018 at 10:22 AM, Dark Knight said:

I dont think it's that simple.. theres a chance it would pop the top staple out, and top staple is rusted. Not sure if there is still a bottom staple as I dont see it. Also possible that spine could split. There's a lot to consider.

I guess I know what I am talking about!  Perfect spine roll removal and press candidate just as I said!  :acclaim:  I think my grade estimate of 4.5 would have been spot on if not for the centerfold becoming detached during the process!  It's a beauty! Congrats!!!  :tink:

1 hour ago, Foolkiller said:

The grade is a Universal 3.0 because the centerfold detached during the process.  

The eye appeal improvement is so dramatic that the value of the book I believe has increased just because of that reason alone.  One unit was perhaps a slight disappointment but I'm not complaining in the least.  I love the book.

The grade bump was small, but the overall eye appeal is off the charts. Congratulations Brian on an amazing book !