• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers 4 CGC Purple: "cover cleaned and pressed"... 2nd EDIT: and the results from CGC... see new post...

36 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, joeypost said:

Since the cover was cleaned, it cannot be undone or uncleaned. If the cleaning involved an aqueous bath it will come back conserved (which is my guess here). 

Once it is cleaned, it can't be undone and it is conserved. Once it is trimmed, it can't be undone and it is damaged.

Just got an email from CCS. As predicted here by multiple folk, CCS cannot undo the cleaning.

Also as predicted, they offered the Conserved label with a regrade. So...

Keeping in mind my goal is to sell this, do you think what I spend with CGC getting the new Conserved label will pay for itself in increased value, or not? (and of course, there's the risk it might grade lower) The Conserved label is still purple (isn't it?), which is a psychological downer, I'd think.

Edited by oldrover

19 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Just got an email from CCS. As predicted here by multiple folk, CCS cannot undo the cleaning.

Also as predicted, they offered the Conserved label with a regrade. So...

Keeping in mind my goal is to sell this, do you think what I spend with CGC getting the new Conserved label will pay for itself in increased value, or not? (and of course, there's the risk it might grade lower) The Conserved label is still purple (isn't it?), which is a psychological downer, I'd think.

Since the old label has CR/OW pages, I think you have a good chance of a page quality upgrade. Apparently CGC was very strict on PQ in the early days. However, 9.4 is a really high grade for a restored book, not sure if I would risk that grade. Is the book still in the old slab ? Can you simply get it reholdered with a new label or does it have to be regraded in this case ? If either you or CCS cracked it open there is no decision, it must be regraded.

45 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Since the old label has CR/OW pages, I think you have a good chance of a page quality upgrade. Apparently CGC was very strict on PQ in the early days. However, 9.4 is a really high grade for a restored book, not sure if I would risk that grade. Is the book still in the old slab ? Can you simply get it reholdered with a new label or does it have to be regraded in this case ? If either you or CCS cracked it open there is no decision, it must be regraded.

It is still in the case. They offered to return it to me as is. They must have reviewed their old notes or known the situation based on policy.

If you guys think it's worth the gamble, I'd regrade. I really can go either way, whatever the outcome. As someone else has said, the new case looks better (Newton rings notwithstanding). Not worried about the cost of regarding either. I'd look at it as an investment in knowledge. Heck, I've already paid to ship it and have them ship it back, insured both ways. :)

Is it just me, or does the Nick Cage label make this a cooler book to own?

Also, it states right on the label, that I was cleaned and pressed, I'd want this much more than a fresh conserved label.

Old Labels are CGC history pieces as well.  I grew to love them.

I'm just one person in the market - but I'd say keep it AS IS.

May I ask how you obtained this book?

52 minutes ago, oldrover said:

If you guys think it's worth the gamble, I'd regrade. I really can go either way, whatever the outcome. As someone else has said, the new case looks better (Newton rings notwithstanding). Not worried about the cost of regarding either. I'd look at it as an investment in knowledge. Heck, I've already paid to ship it and have them ship it back, insured both ways. :)

I agree with the fact that you already paid to have it shipped there. Not sure, but did somebody say you would lose the Nic Cage reference ? If so, I would not want to lose it. I also agree that the seldom seen old label is pretty cool to preserve. Tough call, I think you should not listen to us and do what your gut tells you !

53 minutes ago, tdotcbc84 said:

May I ask how you obtained this book?

I bought it at a Heritage auction, along with the Hulk 1 also from Cage's collection.

38 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Not sure, but did somebody say you would lose the Nic Cage reference ? If so, I would not want to lose it. I also agree that the seldom seen old label is pretty cool to preserve. Tough call, I think you should not listen to us and do what your gut tells you !

I don't know the answer to the Cage thing. I'll ask that. My gut is all over the place. LOL

12 minutes ago, oldrover said:

I bought it at a Heritage auction, along with the Hulk 1 also from Cage's collection.

I don't know the answer to the Cage thing. I'll ask that. My gut is all over the place. LOL

Thanks for the update! 

A couple of thoughts:  The Conserved label is Blue and Grey. So it certainly looks better than the purple label, IMO. It's also a way of giving the book the proper authenticity, rather than staying under the antiquated guidelines of the old system. Furthermore, Bomber Bob is correct about the page quality evaluation---it may be possible to get an upgrade there. And yes, with a regrade there is a chance that the numerical grade may change---but the grade change can go up as well as down. And I would think the Nick Cage designation should stay the same regardless of any other changes on the label...  (shrug)

26 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

A couple of thoughts:  The Conserved label is Blue and Grey. So it certainly looks better than the purple label, IMO. It's also a way of giving the book the proper authenticity, rather than staying under the antiquated guidelines of the old system. Furthermore, Bomber Bob is correct about the page quality evaluation---it may be possible to get an upgrade there. And yes, with a regrade there is a chance that the numerical grade may change---but the grade change can go up as well as down. And I would think the Nick Cage designation should stay the same regardless of any other changes on the label...

CCS confirmed... the Nicholas Cage notation remains. Thanks for the info about the Conserved. I think I wil have them regrade, hold my breath, and hope for the best. Hey, at the very least I'll have replaced the PLOD...

...with the BGLOHND. (Blue Grey Label Of Hopefully NOT Death) :)

Thanks to all... to be continued!

Edited by oldrover
clarity

3 hours ago, oldrover said:

CCS confirmed... the Nicholas Cage notation remains. Thanks for the info about the Conserved. I think I wil have them regrade, hold my breath, and hope for the best. Hey, at the very least I'll have replaced the PLOD...

...with the BGLOHND. (Blue Grey Label Of Hopefully NOT Death) :)

Thanks to all... to be continued!

:wishluck: :wishluck: :wishluck:

Okay... just got the email that they've shipped this back to me... so I checked the notes on CGC's website.

The final verdict... Conserved label... Nicholas Cage collection designation... and it remains a 9.4.

All in all, I think it's a win. Removed the PLOD while maintaining the grade AND the Cage notation.

Thanks to all for your advice and good counsel! (I can't promise this will be the last time I'll seek it :) )

28 minutes ago, oldrover said:

Okay... just got the email that they've shipped this back to me... so I checked the notes on CGC's website.

The final verdict... Conserved label... Nicholas Cage collection designation... and it remains a 9.4.

All in all, I think it's a win. Removed the PLOD while maintaining the grade AND the Cage notation.

Thanks to all for your advice and good counsel! (I can't promise this will be the last time I'll seek it :) )

Thanks for keeping us updated ! This is good news, congrats. How about the Page Quality ? A bump there would definitely be a Win.

On 9/18/2018 at 10:29 AM, oldrover said:

^^