• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Gary Friedrich

4 posts in this topic

We lost both Marie Severin and Gary Friedrich today, and both were hugely important talents who made historic marks and will be missed.  I admit to being hit extra hard by the passing of Gary Friedrich in particular, who  along with Mike Ploog also happened to be the co creator and writer for what was a hugely important comic in my evolution as fan and comic professional.  As a 12 year old in 1972, I bought the origin story and first appearance of Ghost Rider in Marvel Spotlight #5 off the local 7/11 spinner rack and my life changed in an instant.  Not kidding.  The story and art in that comic sparked something that changed me from casual fan into super fan, and got me thinking of doing comics as a career.  I think it was both the writing/artistry as well as the timing (age) that set me off, but the impact of this comic was profound.  Ghost Rider might always be a B list Marvel character, but those early Friedrich/Ploog issues will always hold a special place in my heart.  Not surprisingly, I had to include art from the seminal Marvel Spotlight story into my art collection, and thanks to Mike Burkey, I snagged several pages about 15 years ago.  When I look at these pages, I am 12 years old again. 

Thank you Gary Friedrich.  I owe you one.

Ploog ghost rider MS5pg2.jpg

ploog ghost rider MS 5 pg 4.jpg

Edited by stinkininkin

9 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

We lost both Marie Severin and Gary Friedrich today, and both were hugely important talents who made historic marks and will be missed.  I admit to being hit extra hard by the passing of Gary Friedrich in particular, who  along with Mike Ploog also happened to be the co creator and writer for what was a hugely important comic in my evolution as fan and comic professional.  As a 12 year old in 1972, I bought the origin story and first appearance of Ghost Rider in Marvel Spotlight #5 off the local 7/11 spinner rack and my life changed in an instant.  Not kidding.  The story and art in that comic sparked something that changed me from casual fan into super fan, and got me thinking of doing comics as a career.  I think it was both the writing/artistry as well as the timing (age) that set me off, but the impact of this comic was profound.  Ghost Rider might always be a B list Marvel character, but those early Friedrich/Ploog issues will always hold a special place in my heart.  Not surprisingly, I had to include art from the seminal Marvel Spotlight story into my art collection, and thanks to Mike Burkey, I snagged several pages about 15 years ago.  When I look at these pages, I am 12 years old again. 

Thank you Gary Friedrich.  I owe you one.

Ploog ghost rider MS5pg2.jpg

ploog ghost rider MS 5 pg 4.jpg

Great pages!!!