• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RESERVE LINK or Comic Link...?

12 posts in this topic

A few additional observations from the first four pages of original comic book art offerings, sorted from highest to lowest price...

The top two pieces, by Jones & Smith, both with reserves, are from the much celebrated 'Studio'...artists who are among the 'best' of their era...

The next two, by Perez & McFarlane, both without reserves, are from more 'recent' times...and, who are also regarded as among the 'best' artists of their times...

Examples from the other two members of The Studio, Kaluta & Wrightson, can also be found with reserves in the first four pages as sorted from highest to lowest in price...

Interestingly, there are several pieces with reserves as low as $1,000...(??)

Granted, the final bid for all of the original art offerings are still several days out, and the valuations can and often change during the last seconds of the auction...

Nevertheless, it appears to me that their are more reserves in place for this FEATURED auction than in recent cycles, and for pieces with apparent valuations below $3,000 (at one time, this was a verbally stated threshold for placement of a reserve on an item)...

20180831_094118.png

2 hours ago, NinjaSealed said:

I’m pretty sure I have even seen some sub $1k reserves in the past year in clink auctions.

Are they at least taking a percentage of these pieces if they don’t sell?

Seems silly that they let sellers place reserves on inexpensive regularly sold items. It leaves a bad image to buyers.

When I asked about reserves, they said they dont do it for less than 1K, and would also refuse to have it if the reserve makes no sense (relative to what they perceive as the value)

It's taken me a while and a few financial losses to come to the conclusion that the "No Reserve" system really just works best for the auction house . The standard line from the auction house is that buyers shy away from lots with reserves which is, in my opinion, not true if it's something they really want. The "No Reserve"  gaurantees  the auction house will get something for there efforts even if the seller takes a financial bath.With a "Reserve" the auction house risks nothing. I don't know why it took me so long to figure that out. 

2 hours ago, malvin said:

When I asked about reserves, they said they dont do it for less than 1K, and would also refuse to have it if the reserve makes no sense (relative to what they perceive as the value)

I remember seeing a piece with a reserve price of $500 a few years back.

7 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

It's pretty sad that I will likely never own a Perez Infinity Gauntlet page that nice. :(

At this point I’m just happy I was able to get one period, let alone that nice, before this auction.  It appears they won’t be getting cheaper for at least a little while.

Mike

On 8/31/2018 at 2:13 PM, rrichards said:

It's taken me a while and a few financial losses to come to the conclusion that the "No Reserve" system really just works best for the auction house . The standard line from the auction house is that buyers shy away from lots with reserves which is, in my opinion, not true if it's something they really want. The "No Reserve"  gaurantees  the auction house will get something for there efforts even if the seller takes a financial bath.With a "Reserve" the auction house risks nothing. I don't know why it took me so long to figure that out. 

In my mind, auction houses still have to promote and process pieces with reserves but "risk" not having any return if the reserve is not met.  Question is, so auction houses give their implicit approval for reserve amounts?  If I wanted to consign a $2k item with a $20k reserve, would they say no unless I reduce to a more realistic reserve?  Otherwise, it would waste for everyone-- auction house, consigner and potential bidders. 

I think it is general knowledge that both HA and ComicLink discourage reserves but may accept reserves (ComicLink is more flexible in accepting them--hence more reserves on ComicLink than HA).  But in each case the reserve has to make sense/be reasonable to the auction house (and of course the consignor).  So there is a dialogue that occurs until both parties are satisfied.  I know the views of one of the Reps is that the reserve should be enough under FMV to allow it to be hit before the end of of the auction in order to free up/encourage more bidding in the last days/hours. 

Edited by Ironmandrd

Aside from directly asking CLink representatives, did anyone here track how many reserves were in place for this auction?

When I took notice, as the bid prices were advanced to the reserve, there were approximately 25 pieces with reserves (?)...

And, the auction ended with 22 of those having not been met...

I guesstimate that several of those 22 pieces originated from a 'friendly' source...

Missing the FMV estimate on a few pieces is expected...but, missing 22 times, or almost half a page worth of auction items is unacceptable...'from a certain point of view'...

6 hours ago, First Upgrade said:

Aside from directly asking CLink representatives, did anyone here track how many reserves were in place for this auction?

When I took notice, as the bid prices were advanced to the reserve, there were approximately 25 pieces with reserves (?)...

And, the auction ended with 22 of those having not been met...

I guesstimate that several of those 22 pieces originated from a 'friendly' source...

Missing the FMV estimate on a few pieces is expected...but, missing 22 times, or almost half a page worth of auction items is unacceptable...'from a certain point of view'...

Those "Friendly" sources are just fishing for buyers, and not looking to sell the art at FMV  :baiting: