• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there any love for the WIZARD 1/2 issues?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

I don't know if this is common knowledge but did you guys know there are two editions of most the 1/2's. There is the regular copy and the gold "special editions." (I'm sure everyone here knows this....) From what I can gather, these were only sent to NEW subscribers, not all subscribers. (Is this correct?) Most issues had them up until a few years before Wizard folded up. So the final issues did not. 

I don't know if there are any crazy scarce editions but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the market. Almost none of the 1/2's seem to have a major demand and I don't think many collectors know the difference.

Do you guys know of any actual scarce gold editions? It might be fun to put together a set.

20180901_120231.jpg

20180901_120247.jpg

Edited by Davidone

1 hour ago, Davidone said:

I don't know if this is common knowledge but did you guys know there are two editions of most the 1/2's. There is the regular copy and the gold "special editions." (I'm sure everyone here knows this....) From what I can gather, these were only sent to NEW subscribers, not all subscribers. (Is this correct?) Most issues had them up until a few years before Wizard folded up. So the final issues did not. 

I don't know if there are any crazy scarce editions but it doesn't seem to make a difference in the market. Almost none of the 1/2's seem to have a major demand and I don't think many collectors know the difference.

Do you guys know of any actual scarce gold editions? It might be fun to put together a set.

20180901_120231.jpg

20180901_120247.jpg

:applause:

And there are even THREE editions of this one...the chromium:

s-l1600.jpg

:D

On 9/1/2018 at 5:19 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

It's definitely an oddball. It's the only chromium 1/2 that exists. Why they made it, when they also made a gold foil version? Who knows?

You'll notice, the cover art's a little different, too. 

Looks like they changed the cropping to avoid having the logo run over the text on the arch. Instead, it completely obscures it.

I buy the Gen13 1/2 that came in the blue vinyl portfolio whenever I see them cheap in the wild, which isn't often (I have four or five of them). This is mostly due to nostalgia, as I recall paying about $60 to buy one off of the wall at my LCS way back when it was released. I don't think I've paid more than $10 for any of the copies I've bought since then. I just think they're cool. Picture isn't mine, but this is what they look like.

s-l300.jpg

On 8/31/2018 at 9:05 PM, RockMyAmadeus said:

Of the two 9.8 universals, I subbed them both in 2011...since then...not a single new copy added to the census. Same with the 6 SS copies, 5 of which I subbed in late 2016, and the other with a Jim Lee sig in 2015-ish.

I somehow ended up with one of those at some point, sold it to Dr. Balls a few years ago when I was financing my wedding.  Just included the red foil Spidey with my Spider-Man collection a few weeks ago, otherwise I still have all this kindling. 

I thought for sure I was going to retire on these way back when I was a genius teenager submitting for every issue offered.  Finally someone realized I'm sitting on a gold mine and started a thread on it :whee:

IMG_9189.JPG

IMG_9190.JPG

14 hours ago, davedawgbg said:

I somehow ended up with one of those at some point, sold it to Dr. Balls a few years ago when I was financing my wedding.  Just included the red foil Spidey with my Spider-Man collection a few weeks ago, otherwise I still have all this kindling. 

I thought for sure I was going to retire on these way back when I was a genius teenager submitting for every issue offered.  Finally someone realized I'm sitting on a gold mine and started a thread on it :whee:

IMG_9190.JPG

Is your Gen 13 binder/folder thing black? All of mine are blue, but I saw a black one on eBay and wasn't sure if it was legit or not. 

On 9/6/2018 at 12:07 AM, divad said:

I've got a bunch of these, but I've never really figured what to do with them. (shrug) Do I pull them all out and keep them together, or do I file them with the title . . . what do you guys do?

It depends on the titles and your starting price threshold 

many aren’t worth much so lumping together and sell.

other likes an x-o will sell well individually 

in other words you’re going to have to do the work and look them up 

7 hours ago, divad said:

Uh, it sure looks black . . . :grin:

Yeah, it does. The only other black one I've seen was on an eBay listing that I never bought specifically because it was the only black one I'd seen, so I wasn't sure if it was legit. So this makes two that I've now seen. I've got five of them, and mine are all blue. Does anyone know what the deal is? I mean, yes, I know the difference in the colors blue and black (har har) but wasn't sure if there was a reason for the difference, if it was a random selection by Wizard, or a running change in production, etc.