• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there any love for the WIZARD 1/2 issues?
1 1

45 posts in this topic

I love the Wizard 1/2 issues. Totally representative of Wizard and the market in the 90s and 00s.

That said, there are some that are shockingly rare...like the Shi 1/2 variant...and some that are just cool. 

Personally, I think all the "Special Edition" books...and they didn't do it for all of them...are great.

8 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

I love the Wizard 1/2 issues. Totally representative of Wizard and the market in the 90s and 00s.

That said, there are some that are shockingly rare...like the Shi 1/2 variant...and some that are just cool. 

Personally, I think all the "Special Edition" books...and they didn't do it for all of them...are great.

They are way cool and I guess that's why I kept them, some great cover art.

2 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

i prefer the Wizard Ace books but I am a fan of 1/2

9 hours ago, AgonistesNix said:

Thanks for the info, guys. Are they worth grading? These are amazing looking copies.

Because of the way they were produced, bagged and shipped in a hard cardboard mailer, they were ALL pretty high grade. I would think you'd have to hit 9.9 

Edited by oldmilwaukee6er

1 minute ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

I remember there was a Witchblade v Darkness 1/2 variant that was free with a 3 year prepaid subscription. That one has to be htf. I traded mine to a shop in Billings MT c 1999 for $200 in store credit. 

Ugh. I don't remember the subscription, but I don't doubt you. I know that that particular book was also only available if you applied for, AND WERE ACCEPTED, for a Wizard Visa card.

Those books were like $50 on eBay in the summer of 1999! 

Thankfully, I never paid that much for mine, and when Wizard dumped all their 1/2s on eBay in 2007, I bought about 100 of them, for about 75 cents each.

:D

12 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Ugh. I don't remember the subscription, but I don't doubt you. I know that that particular book was also only available if you applied for, AND WERE ACCEPTED, for a Wizard Visa card.

Those books were like $50 on eBay in the summer of 1999! 

It's possible we are talking the same book. The lady seems to think we wouldn't have gone to CC route just because we were still newlyweds and I caught her with CC debt right after marriage. I remember what you're saying too.  

At any rate, I loved ordering them and having them arrive in the mail!  Especially way out in Montana.  

16 hours ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:
On 8/31/2018 at 11:14 AM, AgonistesNix said:

Thanks for the info, guys. Are they worth grading? These are amazing looking copies.

Because of the way they were produced, bagged and shipped in a hard cardboard mailer, they were ALL pretty high grade. I would think you'd have to hit 9.9 

You ran into a lot of problems because they were so thin. For example...the first 1/2 offer, Maxx, is a tough book to find in 9.8, because the paper was such junky stock. Not impossible, but tough.

But the SECOND 1/2....Gen 13....was a complete and utter disaster. If you find a copy without a badly frayed spine, you're lucky. There are, of the regular 1/2s, a grand total of 8 9.8s on the census.

I submitted all of them.

Not because I'm some great 9.8 finding ninja...on the contrary, I've never found a Gen 13 1/2 anywhere out in the wild that even remotely comes close to a 9.8. It's because I bought several dozen of Wizard's leftover copies, that had sat in boxes untouched for 13 years. Each and every one of those copies came from that "uncirculated stash", and I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt there will ever be any more 9.8s that come from the wild. I have more, but again....I've got maybe 60-70 copies, so I got to pick the best of the best.

Of the two 9.8 universals, I subbed them both in 2011...since then...not a single new copy added to the census. Same with the 6 SS copies, 5 of which I subbed in late 2016, and the other with a Jim Lee sig in 2015-ish.

Here's what the spines usually look like:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

4 minutes ago, oldmilwaukee6er said:

It's possible we are talking the same book. The lady seems to think we wouldn't have gone to CC route just because we were still newlyweds and I caught her with CC debt right after marriage. I remember what you're saying too.  

At any rate, I loved ordering them and having them arrive in the mail!  Especially way out in Montana.  

I never ordered any straight from Wizard...maybe one....but I did buy several in those brown cardboard mailer they sent out. That was fun!