• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinity Gauntlet is heading into TDKR and Killing Joke territory

76 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, O. said:

Thought you were referring to the price of that CLink IG page xD

The Perez pages might be! But, you could make an argument that IG pages are extremely undervalued from where they will be in 5-10 years. Might be a good investment tp pick up some of the good Lim pages, as I think collectors down the road will not put much of a premium on the Perez pages. 

1 hour ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

The Perez pages might be! But, you could make an argument that IG pages are extremely undervalued from where they will be in 5-10 years. Might be a good investment tp pick up some of the good Lim pages, as I think collectors down the road will not put much of a premium on the Perez pages. 

If you believe in that, why don't you buy all the Lim IG pages you can get ahold of?  It's a guaranteed money maker according to you.

Malvin

2 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Disagree. Content being similar, I cannot see a time when Perez doesn’t have a reasonable premium over Lim. 

10 hours ago, PhilipB2k17 said:

Might be a good investment to pick up some of the good Lim pages, as I think collectors down the road will not put much of a premium on the Perez pages. 

Oh I've been trying... but those pesky skyrocketing prices keep getting in the way:frustrated:

As a Lim fan, I've long felt that his pages should be valued closer to Perez ones - and judging from the latest HA auctions the gap seems to have closed a bit. Of course, the splash on CLink may have moved the goalposts again!

18 minutes ago, delekkerste said:
4 hours ago, O. said:

As a Lim fan, I've long felt that his pages should be valued closer to Perez ones

You kids crack me up! :preach:

lol  Now you know how I feel when I hear you and your Copper Generation! :preach:

5 hours ago, O. said:

Oh I've been trying... but those pesky skyrocketing prices keep getting in the way:frustrated:

As a Lim fan, I've long felt that his pages should be valued closer to Perez ones - and judging from the latest HA auctions the gap seems to have closed a bit. Of course, the splash on CLink may have moved the goalposts again!

I think on IG pages the gap is going to close eventually. Perez just doesn’t have the same cache with younger collectors as he does with Copper & Bronze focused collectors. And the quality of the pages isn’t that different. Lim did a nice job on Infinity Gauntlet, and drew some of the more iconic images. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17

3 hours ago, delekkerste said:

You kids crack me up! :preach:

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

lol  Now you know how I feel when I hear you and your Copper Generation! :preach:

Any SA collectors wanna chime in?:nyah:

But even my early-'90s stuff is now 25+ years old... guess I should be :preach: all those who collect OA without word balloons!

Now that it's sold for $23k, does anyone have further thoughts on the quality and price of this IG #1 page?

I was rather surprised there was so much interest in it, as to my eyes it's just a small image of Thanos surrounded by abstract art. Going by a traditional method of valuing Perez IG OA - size/quantity of Thanos/Gauntlet images - this page doesn't tick many boxes.

So is it the prettiness of the cosmic/psychedelic background, or demonstration of the Gauntlet's power, that drove the price? Or am I missing something else entirely?

RADAF5CE201865_113624.jpg

25 minutes ago, O. said:

Now that it's sold for $23k, does anyone have further thoughts on the quality and price of this IG #1 page?

I was rather surprised there was so much interest in it, as to my eyes it's just a small image of Thanos surrounded by abstract art. Going by a traditional method of valuing Perez IG OA - size/quantity of Thanos/Gauntlet images - this page doesn't tick many boxes.

So is it the prettiness of the cosmic/psychedelic background, or demonstration of the Gauntlet's power, that drove the price? Or am I missing something else entirely?

It’s clearly a terrific image, which encapsulates the whole IG saga. 

2 hours ago, O. said:

Kind of a "key" moment in the saga and a trophy piece to draw out big bidders, also wouldn't be shocked if there is some speculation on a piece like this. The piece(the background/dialogue more so than Thanos) is amazing, even if the size of Thanos on the page is less then ideal. I also really like the bottom panel, simple yet fantastic.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:03 PM, PhilipB2k17 said:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/08/31/marvel-half-million-infinity-gauntlet/

"Marvel Has Sold Half a Million Infinity Gauntlet Trade Collections."

It's got a long way to go before catching up to either DKR or KJ in terms of units sold. Let alone WATCHMEN. DC moved one million copies of WM the year the movie came out, alone.

I also can't see IG ever being categorized among the most "respected" comics. It's like a multiple choice test question: "DKR, KJ, WM, IG...which doesn't belong?"

Having said that, in terms of OA value, who knows? Can never underestimate the power of nostalgia in this hobby/market. Also, while the gap between Perez and Lim *might* shrink some, I also believe the Perez art will always carry a premium over the Lim art. From a simple prestige standpoint, if nothing else.

2 minutes ago, Nexus said:

It's got a long way to go before catching up to either DKR or KJ in terms of units sold. Let alone WATCHMEN. DC moved one million copies of WM the year the movie came out, alone.

I also can't see IG ever being categorized among the most "respected" comics. It's like a multiple choice test question: "DKR, KJ, WM, IG...which doesn't belong?"

Having said that, in terms of OA value, who knows? Can never underestimate the power of nostalgia in this hobby/market. Also, while the gap between Perez and Lim *might* shrink some, I also believe the Perez art will always carry a premium over the Lim art. From a simple prestige standpoint, if nothing else.

Agreed. 

I do see IG making up a lot of ground due to the MCU franchise and the phase one pinnacle being the 2 movie Avengers/Thanos story. The other stories may have the edge in units sold from a comic perspective but haw many will have seen the IW movies and/or bought copies at home. We are already seeing the value jump significantly which tells me there is a correlation between the movie and the art (I know, duh). Perez will always be the IG King but Lim will close that gap, the question is how much?

5 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Agreed. 

I do see IG making up a lot of ground due to the MCU franchise and the phase one pinnacle being the 2 movie Avengers/Thanos story. The other stories may have the edge in units sold from a comic perspective but haw many will have seen the IW movies and/or bought copies at home. We are already seeing the value jump significantly which tells me there is a correlation between the movie and the art (I know, duh). Perez will always be the IG King but Lim will close that gap, the question is how much?

I think the point I was making re Lim IG art is that it's probably a good value proposition - right now - vs the Perez IG art. Later collectors who come to IG through the MCU are not going to care who drew what pages. So, over time (10-15 years) I see the gap closing quite a bit. This may be the perfect test of value compression that we are seeing for superkey comics between the higher and lower grade versions of a book. Think of the Perez IG art as the higher grade pages, and the Lim ones (although, story points may make some Lim pages MORE valuable), being the lower grade ones. Us old farts who revere George Perez are not going to be driving the hobby as much in 15 years. As for whether IG is getting into Watchmen, KJ or TDKR territory, I think it will eventually thanks to the films. That series is the cornerstone of most of the entire Thanos saga of the MCU.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 9/5/2018 at 4:50 AM, O. said:

It's the Surfer on a couch that makes the piece.