• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinity Gauntlet is heading into TDKR and Killing Joke territory

76 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2018 at 1:20 PM, delekkerste said:

I confess to never reading IG and dismissing it as lightweight '90s drek.  Is it worth reading?  

And, for those who have read both, how does it compare to Starlin's "The Death of Captain Marvel"?  I can't imagine that IG holds a candle to DOCM except to Millennials with bad taste (redundant? :baiting:)

It brings Thanos full circle, book-ending the arc for the character dating back to that early Warlock stuff. 

I personally find it much deeper than your typical crossover book. It ain't about the heroes, it's all about Thanos. I just read it and pretend Infinity War (the follow-up) never happened. 

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Albert underpriced something?

he must have suffered a stroke!  ?

Yeah it was a confusing moment for me too lol

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:27 AM, theflashunc said:

It brings Thanos full circle, book-ending the arc for the character dating back to that early Warlock stuff. 

I personally find it much deeper than your typical crossover book. It ain't about the heroes, it's all about Thanos. I just read it and pretend Infinity War (the follow-up) never happened. 

Haven't read either in a while, but IIRC I actually read IW before IG, and found IW to be the more interesting story!

My main gripe with IG is that Starlin didn't stick the landing... it sorta fell apart over the last 1.5 issues :frown:

12 hours ago, O. said:

Mr. O (can't type your name), are there more examples in this range? I love this page but it feel more splashy than panely (new word, all rights reserved). 

Edited by JadeGiant

39 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Mr. O (can't type your name), are there more examples in this range? I love this page but it feel more splashy than panely (new word, all rights reserved). 

Half splash to be sure. 

1 hour ago, JadeGiant said:

It also could be an outlier, so ideally more examples required.  Unfortunately in this hobby people often point to an outlier as a new normal, and sometimes there are buyers so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy!

Malvin

9 minutes ago, malvin said:

It also could be an outlier, so ideally more examples required.  Unfortunately in this hobby people often point to an outlier as a new normal, and sometimes there are buyers so it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy!

Malvin

Agreed. I don't follow IG market closely so I was curious. I have always thought that Lim would close the gap in price between he and George on Cosmic art so I tend to watch with a curious interest. I am seeing an outlier scenario play out in a market I do follow closely .... and hoping it doesn't start a trend as it is where I like to buy lol

3 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

Agreed. I don't follow IG market closely so I was curious. I have always thought that Lim would close the gap in price between he and George on Cosmic art so I tend to watch with a curious interest. I am seeing an outlier scenario play out in a market I do follow closely .... and hoping it doesn't start a trend as it is where I like to buy lol

Lim's Silver Surfer and IG pages carry a premium. Meanwhile, late Starlin cosmic Marvel art is actually (weirdly) undervalued.

Edited by PhilipB2k17

On 2/27/2019 at 12:17 AM, JadeGiant said:

Hey Dave :hi:

I’d describe it as “large-paneled”. IMO a “splashy” page has to contain a dominating image occupying a majority of the surface area. This 3-panel page, without said dominant image, doesn’t quite qualify.

There have been several public sales of Lim panel pages between $7-8k (some of which were decidedly mediocre items). So $10.8k isn’t a huge leap for a piece of this quality, and follows the trajectory of lesser pages moving up in the mid 4-figure range.

On 2/27/2019 at 5:45 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

Meanwhile, late Starlin cosmic Marvel art is actually (weirdly) undervalued.

The recent impressive sales of those early-2000s Thanos covers on HA could be a signal that market is moving up again hm

10 hours ago, O. said:

Hey Dave :hi:

I’d describe it as “large-paneled”. IMO a “splashy” page has to contain a dominating image occupying a majority of the surface area. This 3-panel page, without said dominant image, doesn’t quite qualify.

There have been several public sales of Lim panel pages between $7-8k (some of which were decidedly mediocre items). So $10.8k isn’t a huge leap for a piece of this quality, and follows the trajectory of lesser pages moving up in the mid 4-figure range.

Interesting, thanks for the response. 

I'd be curious of the panel pages at $7-8K. Can you share links (here of via DM). I am a big fan of Ron Lim and love to see his star rising so much due to his cosmic work

Going forward, vintage (1990's era) Infinty 'this', Infinity 'that', published original art will continue to have "value" to a specific demographic, especially higher quality examples. Such as the Galactus & Silver Surfer gem that recently sold with HA.

Speaking of Galactus...with Thanos out as the 'Big Bad' in the MCU films to come, Galactus is likely to take that role.

Today, only a few art collectors can BUY the Kirby/Sinnott Galactus pages...should an example even be offered.

And, only a few more art collectors can BUY either the Buscema &/or Byrne era FF Galactus pages, if they become available...

Galactus will be officially announced as the new 'Big Bad' in the MCU saga.

20181230_150014.jpg

22 hours ago, O. said:

Just sold for $9.6k on HA; new auction record for a non-Thanos panel page.

IG #3 p.22 - $9,600 HA 060120.jpg

This is a really nice page. It would be epic when paired with the next page. I think Perez will retain a premium over Lim. Future hipsters will see to it. I think I got one of those underpriced pages from Albert. Early in my career (so not long ago) and one of the best buys I ever made. Picked up a  page with a Thano panel very reasonable from HA and sold it within a year for 150% to a very nice collector, knowing full well that it will continue to appreciate. As a reader from that era IG definitely holds a special place, but definitely not on a pedestal. Haven’t read any Infinity stuff except IG and perfectly happy to leave it at that. Really wish Nebula had grabbed the gauntlet in the MCU...

PS Also worth noting that A LOT of IG OA is with a single collector. I believe they have around 40 pages? 

Edited by dichotomy
Brain splinter

Interesting addendum to this, but I saw Ron Lim at a Con several months ago and asked him why Perez quit drawing IG. There's been a lot of speculation over the years about it. Lim said that Jim Starlin finally asked Perez about it at a con, and Perez simply said he was too busy working on Wonder Woman, as he was both writing and drawing that book. 

On 1/8/2020 at 2:54 AM, First Upgrade said:

Going forward, vintage (1990's era) Infinty 'this', Infinity 'that', published original art will continue to have "value" to a specific demographic, especially higher quality examples. Such as the Galactus & Silver Surfer gem that recently sold with HA.

Speaking of Galactus...with Thanos out as the 'Big Bad' in the MCU films to come, Galactus is likely to take that role.

Yup agreed! The other major cosmic beings such as Eternity and the Living Tribunal will likely feature too. The Celestials are already confirmed.

On 1/8/2020 at 3:14 AM, dichotomy said:

PS Also worth noting that A LOT of IG OA is with a single collector. I believe they have around 40 pages? 

Are you referring to Lovitz? He has many pages, but few Thanos or what I'd consider A-level pieces.