• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The $5,000+ Silver Age comic for a dead superhero

35 posts in this topic

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=782400

CGC 9.4 Dr. Solar, Man of the Atom #1 (1962), auction ended at $5,205.

doc3.452a.jpg

I've seen similar prices for dead Golden Age characters, but are there any other dead superheros created in the Silver Age that sell for $5,000+ in CGC 9.4? hm

Edited by valiantman

One could argue that a Strange Adventures #180 CGC 9.4 would run you 5K.  Much like this book, there are a lot of collectors that would love a 9.4 and one in that grade hasn't come up for sale in about 5+ years.  And I think the last private sale was around that number.

You only need two crazy fans to drive a books price in auction up.  The book was about $2,000 when I started bidding and I was the underbidder at 5,005.  As it was in one of those conicconnect extended time auctions I believe that I was the sole other bidder on the book.  I never ended up as the high bidder as it went from $2000 to its closing price so someone had placed an insanely high bid in previously.

Found out later that the same book had been sitting in the ComicLink market place with a lower price for months and no one bid.

I would be careful reading too much into one sale.  It might just have been the winner and I who were willing to pay so much for this book.

Edited by david20009
Spelling error cause by autocorrect

19 hours ago, valiantman said:

https://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=782400

CGC 9.4 Dr. Solar, Man of the Atom #1 (1962), auction ended at $5,205.

doc3.452a.jpg

I've seen similar prices for dead Golden Age characters, but are there any other dead superheros created in the Silver Age that sell for $5,000+ in CGC 9.4? hm

I was shocked by this price.  It's not even the highest graded copy.

The prices for most of the Doctor Solars in the auction were really strong.  I guess ComicConnect is the go-to auction house for Doctor Solar. 

3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Doctor Solar is "dead" because the company that published the comic no longer exists.  It doesn't lessen the historical importance or coolness of the book.  Doctor Solar #1 was the first of the Gold Key comics to introduce an original new character.  Gold Key pumped out numerous comics for over 20 years, making it more than just another failed publisher.  It was also one of the few early out and out science fiction titles of the Silver Age with a recurring hero.  Finally, it has one of only two comic covers painted by one of the true masters of science fiction art of the era, Richard Powers.  Putting all that together with the scarcity of the comic in high grade (only the Pacific Coast copy has been graded higher), and the realization of what near mint copies of 1962 superhero comics from the big two publishers fetch, and you've got a book that arguably deserves at least that price in the marketplace.  

The last 9.4 sale recorded in GPA was back in 2015 for over $4000, and the Pac Coast copy sold more than ten years ago for $7,500, making this far from a one-off sale price.

Disclaimer: I may be a wee bit biased toward this underappreciated comic, as it was my copy that sold on ComicConnect.  :wink:

Good job. (thumbsu  Now I would take  some of that $5,205 and get on ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

17 minutes ago, tth2 said:
3 hours ago, namisgr said:

Disclaimer: I may be a wee bit biased toward this underappreciated comic, as it was my copy that sold on ComicConnect.  :wink:

:whatthe: Well done, Bob! :applause:

Was the entire Solar run yours?  If so, I wish you'd let me know, as I have a few issues that could've filled in some of the gaps in the run.

DrSolar10.jpg

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I was shocked by this price.  It's not even the highest graded copy.

Why?  A copy sold for $4100 back in 2015.  The Pacific Coast 9.6 #1 is a five figure book.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Was the entire Solar run yours?  If so, I wish you'd let me know, as I have a few issues that could've filled in some of the gaps in the run.

Yes, Tim, the entire run was mine.  As far as letting you know?  I offered the entire run of issues 1-23, 26 and 27 here on the boards on two separate occasions, and once on the Bay.  Hence, the gaps in the run on what made it eventually to ComicConnect.  Of the 17 issues sold on the ComicConnect auction, 16 went for at least 10% more (and up to 150% more) than my asking price here on the Boards.  You had plenty of chances.  :baiting:

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Good job. (thumbsu  Now I would take  some of that $5,205 and get on ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

Heh, that's a good one, CC.  The thing is, I've collected comic books for the fun and enjoyment as a hobbyist, and not as investments.  The proceeds from these auctions go into our retirement 'nest egg'.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

DrSolar10.jpg

Hi Tim.  Been a long time since chatted. You are doing Solar along with the Ducks now?  What about Magnus and Turok.

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Yes, Tim, the entire run was mine.  As far as letting you know?  I offered the entire run of issues 1-23, 26 and 27 here on the boards on two separate occasions, and once on the Bay.  Hence, the gaps in the run on what made it eventually to ComicConnect.  Of the 17 issues sold on the ComicConnect auction, 16 went for at least 10% more (and up to 150% more) than my asking price here on the Boards.  You had plenty of chances.  :baiting:

I never check out the sales threads. 

In any event, you misunderstood my meaning.  I'm not interested in buying.  Rather, I would've been able to consign a few issues to CC that would've filled a few gaps in the run you consigned.  For whatever reason, the more complete a consigned run, the more interest it tends to generate.

Edited by tth2