• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alot Of Scratches On Inner Holders, Newly Graded

39 posts in this topic

I just got five books which were graded by CGC on 08/03/2018.  All five have alot of scratches which appear to be on the inner holder, but definitely are not on the outside of the outer holder.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Thx

Thanks for the picture---that helps a lot. :)

This is pretty unusual---it looks like the inner well came in contact with a rough surface at some point, either during manufacturing or when it was stored. 

You should be able to get this book reholdered at no cost to you...

21 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Thanks for the picture---that helps a lot. :)

This is pretty unusual---it looks like the inner well came in contact with a rough surface at some point, either during manufacturing or when it was stored. 

You should be able to get this book reholdered at no cost to you...

Thanks.  The five books I have like this are not consecutive, so I have a feeling there are more like them.

11 hours ago, androolx said:

I just got five books which were graded by CGC on 08/03/2018.  All five have alot of scratches which appear to be on the inner holder, but definitely are not on the outside of the outer holder.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Thx

Oh yes. I don't have a picture to show, but I had a Venom Lethal Protector where the cover is Foil/Holo, so scratches on a foil cover is normally quite common to see for those type of books. But the one I had was perfect with no scratches on it. Once it got slabbed you can see hairline scratch marks throughout, with one very large one across ... almost as if someone took a key to it. But the scratches were all from the inner well, but gave the illusion it was on the comic cover itself. It was disheartening to see.

7 hours ago, MagicMan_2017 said:

Oh yes. I don't have a picture to show, but I had a Venom Lethal Protector where the cover is Foil/Holo, so scratches on a foil cover is normally quite common to see for those type of books. But the one I had was perfect with no scratches on it. Once it got slabbed you can see hairline scratch marks throughout, with one very large one across ... almost as if someone took a key to it. But the scratches were all from the inner well, but gave the illusion it was on the comic cover itself. It was disheartening to see.

What was date of grading?  Did/are you contacting CGC or requesting re-holder?

3 hours ago, androolx said:

What was date of grading?  Did/are you contacting CGC or requesting re-holder?

It was graded this past summer. It was actually re-holdered already by CGC due to Newton Rings, so I was more pre-occupied by the results of the rings and somehow just accepted the scratches as is. I ended up giving it away as a gift.

I got the same weird scratches on the inside of the case on one graded 8/9/2018. 

I thought about sending it back, but since the scratches are way less noticeable than the Newton Rings, I decided to leave it alone. Though I'm curious to hear how CGC responds to you. 

584382455_ScreenShot2018-09-03at8_02_32PM.png.431339eaaa717351286a8092982d11bf.png331182970_ScreenShot2018-09-03at8_02_42PM.png.c9998682598ef51e7c5ac50901b72cbf.png

Here is the answer, "Any damage or issue like this would need to be reported to us within 14 days of receipt.  It appears that it has been more than 14 days since these were received.  You can send the books back for a reholder after that time but there would be a $15 per book charge."  I have looked at other CGC graded books I own and have seen this interior scratched holder phenomenon as far back as 04/2018.

2 minutes ago, androolx said:

Here is one I just got back from CGC on 09/28/2018.  Again, the photo only shows some of the many scratches.  I notified CGC and suggested they look into this issue.  On a brighter note, there were no Newton's rings.

20180928_160600[1].jpg

Off-topic...

How are you guys taking these really close up pics? Are smart phones (which I don't have) able to do this? Or do you have to have a really good camera (which I also don't have)?

The last time I bought a camera, it was about 10 bucks and came from the rack at 7/11.

There are claims of this observation in the newton ring thread too. Maybe they’re buffing the inside of the wells to prevent the newton rings..? And these are symptons of an incorrectly buffed slab?! I’m talking out my butt...but I could see micro-abrasions alleviating the two slick surfaces from creating the newton ring effect...

On 10/2/2018 at 9:20 PM, Callaway29 said:

There are claims of this observation in the newton ring thread too. Maybe they’re buffing the inside of the wells to prevent the newton rings..? And these are symptons of an incorrectly buffed slab?! I’m talking out my butt...but I could see micro-abrasions alleviating the two slick surfaces from creating the newton ring effect...

That makes alot of sense.  If I have to have one or the other, I much prefer the scratches to the Newton's rings.

1 hour ago, androolx said:

That makes alot of sense.  If I have to have one or the other, I much prefer the scratches to the Newton's rings.

You would prefer something that is really damaged (scratches) to something that is not really there, only an optical illusion ? Okay. (shrug)

2 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

You would prefer something that is really damaged (scratches) to something that is not really there, only an optical illusion ? Okay. (shrug)

Yes, because for me, the Newton's rings are much more visible than the scratches and distort the true appearance of the book much more than the scratches.  It does irritate me that I paid good money for a damaged (scratched) item.