• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Apparently My Concept of Near Perfect must be off
2 2

26 posts in this topic

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-129-Vol-1-Near-Perfect-High-Grade-1st-Appearance-of-Punisher/362416481551?hash=item5461b4a50f:g:lOkAAOSwoJxbd9p0

sigh....just sigh.  If this is near perfect, I’ll wonder what he considers perfect?  Similar description on a lot of raw comics that just really leave a bad taste in my mouth.

2 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Oh wow... So this guy is a freaking scumbag.  Good to know.  I wasn't going to buy from him once I saw the picks.  He had a Hulk 180 raw that was "near Perfect" that had CB spine ticks all up and down the spine.... bids were at $600 for it!

Edited by Drbearsec

Pay attention and learn. If you want to scam a bit on eBay and still have great reviews they show how it's done. Hype books with near meaningless terms like  "near perfect" .  Near perfect isn't a grade, there is no scale or reference for it.  Offer other "details" like Page Quality, restoration  and staple attachment so it LOOKS like you are providing lots of detailed information about the book. Do a lot of no reserve, low starting bid auctions so people feel like they are getting bargains.  Offer time payments. Take returns cheerfully for 30 days. 

Plenty of experienced collectors and dealers buy comics on eBay. But eBay is also where all the newbies shop. A lot of them don't know 5.0 from 8.0. So build your business around those less knowledgeable collectors and if someone buys a book that knows it's not as nice as you said you give their money back promptly and smile. Your feedback stays at or near 100%, you get top rated seller status from eBay

16 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Pay attention and learn. If you want to scam a bit on eBay and still have great reviews they show how it's done. Hype books with near meaningless terms like  "near perfect" .  Near perfect isn't a grade, there is no scale or reference for it.  Offer other "details" like Page Quality, restoration  and staple attachment so it LOOKS like you are providing lots of detailed information about the book. Do a lot of no reserve, low starting bid auctions so people feel like they are getting bargains.  Offer time payments. Take returns cheerfully for 30 days. 

Plenty of experienced collectors and dealers buy comics on eBay. But eBay is also where all the newbies shop. A lot of them don't know 5.0 from 8.0. So build your business around those less knowledgeable collectors and if someone buys a book that knows it's not as nice as you said you give their money back promptly and smile. Your feedback stays at or near 100%, you get top rated seller status from eBay

How sadly true it is.  That being said I feel dirty now and want to shower.

Here's the smallest FF 52 in the world:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-52-Vol-1-Super-High-Grade-1st-Appearance-of-Black-Panther/362408713312?hash=item54613e1c60:g:sqQAAOSwBJNbaiCv

How many times can you trim an edge? The top edge is their typical, "through the Comics Code" cut and the right edge (look at the back cover image) looks like it was cut with a shears.

Allthings1.jpg

Allthings2.jpg

7 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

Here's the smallest FF 52 in the world:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-52-Vol-1-Super-High-Grade-1st-Appearance-of-Black-Panther/362408713312?hash=item54613e1c60:g:sqQAAOSwBJNbaiCv

How many times can you trim an edge? The top edge is their typical, "through the Comics Code" cut and the right edge (look at the back cover image) looks like it was cut with a shears.

Allthings1.jpg

Allthings2.jpg

Already at $400. Some poor dope is going to pay real money for that ruined POS.

I do not know this guy from Adam and do not plan on buying from him but I will play the "Devils Advocate".  :devil:

From the book shown in the first post where this thread started...

ASM 101 CGC 9.4 NM. "Nearly Perfect".

Read the first two words in the Grading Tutorial/Grading Standards description regarding a book in NM 9.4.  

Looks like the same two words to me. (shrug) :whatthe:  hm

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM):  
Nearly perfect with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed

Edited by marvelmaniac

I would say that there is too much questionable leeway when using terms like Near Perfect or Almost Perfect. They are not even terms used in grading like Good, Fine ect......  I remember a thread a while back where a guy bought a comic that had the words "Nice Comic " in the title of the auction. He gave a link to the finished auction and the pictures clearly showed a book beat to death by everything known to mankind. He was upset that the seller put Nice Comic in the title when it clearly wasn't a nice comic. So where does "nice" fall on the grading scale? Just like Near Perfect. If the seller doesn't put up a real numeric grade (not 5.8) then there's too much confusion as to what the terms mean. Look closely at photos. Ask tons of questions. If you don't feel comfortable after that walk away and look elsewhere.

2 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I do not know this guy from Adam and do not plan on buying from him but I will play the "Devils Advocate".  :devil:

From the book shown in the first post where this thread started...

ASM 101 CGC 9.4 NM. "Nearly Perfect".

Read the first two words in the Grading Tutorial/Grading Standards description regarding a book in NM 9.4.  

Looks like the same two words to me. (shrug) :whatthe:  hm

9.4 NEAR MINT (NM):  
Nearly perfect with only minor imperfections that keep it from the next higher grade. Subtle bindery/printing defects are allowed. Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books, although on Golden Age books bindery tears of up to 1/4" have been noted. Cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and a minimum of fading. Corners are cut square and sharp with ever-so-slight blunting permitted. A 1/16" bend is permitted with no color break. Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location. Slight foxing. Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration. Almost no stress lines. Paper is off-white to cream, supple and fresh. Slight interior tears are allowed

The thread wasn't started about that Spider-Man 101, it was started about a raw Spider-Man 129 which has since ended.  EBay changed the link to a live auction, as they always do now in their infinite wisdom. Not confusing at all.