• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the true first appearance of Captain Marvel part 2

47 posts in this topic

On 9/14/2018 at 7:31 PM, sfcityduck said:

"First Appearance" means first story appearance of a character in a comic book.   Action 1 is the "first appearance" of Superman.

"First appearance in print" means a non-story first appearance of a character, usually in a house ad.  More Fun 31 is the "first appearance in print" of Superman.  

Good luck arguing that More Fun 31 is the "first appearance" of Superman. 

It's not. 

It is a cool historical item that has enhanced value because of the house ad.  And that appears to be what you are missing.  You can enhance the value of an item by pointing out it is the "first appearance in print" of a character without doing violence to the normal terms used by the comic collecting community (thereby making you look like a fool).  I'd suggest you hype all you want, but do so in a way that doesn't reflect poorly on your common sense.

Other useful terms to know "first full appearance" (Hulk 181); "cameo" (Hulk 180); and "first cover appearance" (Vacation Parade 2 for Uncle Scrooge).

P.S. Another reason "first appearance" does not mean, in the parlance of comic collectors, the "first appearance" ever in any medium is the simple reason that many "first appearances" in comic collecting parlance are of characters who previously appeared in books (James Bond), comic strips (Prince Valiant), magazines/pulps (Tarzan), tv (Jetsons), radio (Lone Ranger), cartoons (Harley Quinn), and movies (Star Wars).  Your twisted interpretation will never gain traction because it is anathema to how comic collectors have been using these terms for 60 years or more.

The battle was lost a long time ago with MF 31/Action 1,  Hulk 180/181, and many others.  For example, Hulk 180 was originally the more valuable book because it was the first appearance.  But, collectors thought Hulk 181 was the cooler book, having more Wolverine and Wolverine on the cover, and it became the more valuable book.  This confused some folks, and they started calling Hulk 181 the "first appearance" because they thought that was the only way to justify the higher price.  But, the comic collecting community pushed back and Hulk 180 is widely recognized as the "first appearance," albeit most view it as the lesser desirable book.  If those who sought to re-define "first appearance" lost that battle, ain't no way you'll ever get the comic collecting community to view a fanzine, a previews Xerox, a poster insert in the CBG, or other preview advertising as the "first appearance" of a character.  At most, they will only be the "first appearance in print."  

Sorry.  

But that is my point, the Foom book is her first published image.  These days there are plenty of people who want such books.  Don't believe me? go check recent sales for Foom 15!

21 hours ago, MrWeen said:

But that is my point, the Foom book is her first published image.  These days there are plenty of people who want such books.  Don't believe me? go check recent sales for Foom 15!

Ms Marvel #1 CGC 9.4 sold on 10/22 for $550.

Foom #15 CGC 9.4 sold on 10/17 for $194.

For as long as I've been collecting, the definition of a "1st appearance" generally relates to canon and excludes previews.  To me, this is a case of the true 1st appearance (Ms. Marvel #1) increasing in value to a point that it is beginning to exceed the budgets of some collectors.  The answer then is to collect secondary books of importance.  First and foremost, this would be Avenging Spider-Man #9 (1st appearance of Carol Danvers as Captain Marvel).  Once collectors snap up those, then the next inclination would be Foom #15.  But even then, I think the pool of interested parties at that point are completionists because the market has dictated that a 1st appearance occurs in a story that is canon.

This whole trend of buying up secondary and tertiary books isn't new.  As the price of IH#181 has ballooned, so too has the price of #180.  Again due to a combination of A) people firmly believing that to be Wolverine's 1st appearance, and B) unable to afford a copy of IH#181 so searching for the next best thing.

22 hours ago, MrWeen said:

These days there are plenty of people who want such books.

Good for them! But that has nothing to do with this discussion.

57 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

the market has dictated that a 1st appearance occurs in a story that is canon

The market doesn't do anything like that.

43 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Good for them! But that has nothing to do with this discussion.

The market doesn't do anything like that.

Fair point.  I should have added that in addition to market prices, the first appearances have been confirmed by the publishers themselves on official websites and products (like the collectable cards in the 90s).

EDIT: oh , just realized this is my 999th post.  Gonna have to save up my next response for something good.  In all likelihood it'll just be an emoji or some other equally worthless.  :roflmao:

Edited by ExNihilo

2 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

Fair point.  I should have added that in addition to market prices, the first appearances have been confirmed by the publishers themselves on official websites and products (like the collectable cards in the 90s).

EDIT: oh , just realized this is my 999th post.  Gonna have to save up my next response for something good.  In all likelihood it'll just be an emoji or some other equally worthless.  :roflmao:

Make your next post standing on your head!

You could then watch it turn from 666 to 0001.... happy halloween?