• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Prop Store's 2018 Entertainment Memorabilia Live Auction - Sept. 20

29 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2018 at 12:26 PM, comiconxion said:

For a look at some of the key offerings in the auction by artist as well as the video content, please check out this blog:

https://propstore.com/blog/top-10-greatest-comic-book-artists/

What do people think of the videos?  Worth doing again in the future?

very good idea. I would show more of the products up for auction, and do it earlier. Your audience for the videos is potential bidders, so you want to show them as many of the items they may be interested in as possible.  let the conversation/interview serve as the V/O narrative bed.  

Just my two cents

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, fsumavila said:

very good idea. I would show more of the products up for auction, and do it earlier. Your audience for the videos is potential bidders, so you want to show them as many of the items they may be interested in as possible.  let the conversation/interview serve as the V/O narrative bed.  

Just my two cents

Thanks for the feedback.  The series of 9 videos are intended as an intro to comic art for people that may not have been exposed to it before.  Because of the breadth of material we wanted to cover and because these were shot before the auction material was finalized, we used pieces from my own collection as a way to illustrate the different types of art.  We also intend this series of videos to be available for future auctions so we didn't want the material to be too specific to this auction.  But, point well taken.  

The DC and Marvel Art previews are intended to be previews from the auction and hopefully accomplish that.  The preview from the LA Ultimate Show also gives a quick preview of the material in the auction.  For next year, I'll see if we can release this material a little sooner.  

Always appreciate the feedback on how to make things better.

26 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

Thanks for the feedback.  The series of 9 videos are intended as an intro to comic art for people that may not have been exposed to it before.  Because of the breadth of material we wanted to cover and because these were shot before the auction material was finalized, we used pieces from my own collection as a way to illustrate the different types of art.  We also intend this series of videos to be available for future auctions so we didn't want the material to be too specific to this auction.  But, point well taken.  

The DC and Marvel Art previews are intended to be previews from the auction and hopefully accomplish that.  The preview from the LA Ultimate Show also gives a quick preview of the material in the auction.  For next year, I'll see if we can release this material a little sooner.  

My suggestion, next year have the auction in the ol' USA! :sumo:

Seriously!

I'd also try & get your consignors to submit OA without reserves.

Edited by Timely

For those tuning in leading up to the auction, I thought I'd provide a little more backstory to some of the pieces that didn't make it into the final descriptions or videos, but people might find interesting.

• Lot #173 - Infantino/Giella Flash #129 Splash - I first saw this splash 25 or so years ago.  I had the chance to purchase the complete first chapter of this story or the Action Funnies ashcan comic for around the same price (the first chapter was given away as a letter's page prize).  I chose the Action Funnies.  Well, looking back, I'm not so sure I made the right choice, but at least I got to see it again in this auction!
  • Lot #128 - Springer G.I. Joe #32 Cover - Although Springer was the third regular artist to draw G.I. Joe (Trimpe, then Vosburg then Springer), this is the only cover he drew while on his run.  And, this is one of only a handful of G.I. Joe covers under #50 offered on the market in the last 20 years.  
  • Lot #206 - Gerhard Harry Potter Poster Art - Seeing a Harry Potter poster piece like this is rare as Warner Bros. does not typically release Harry Potter artwork.  This is piece is huge and Gerhard took a fair amount of time to complete as Gerhard had to draw tens of thousands of tiny little lines.  The final printed poster came in two editions - the color one that comes with the lot as well as a B&W version.  
  • Lot #221 - Jusko Hulk Universal Orlando Ride Painting -  Again, another huge piece and one of Jusko's favorite images of the Hulk that he ever drew 
  • Lot #255 - Zeck/Zimelman Iron Man Super Thriller: Steel Terror Painting - The only other time that Zeck and Zimelman drew Iron Man was for the famous 1980's Iron Man poster.
  • Lot #356 - Zeck/Beatty Punisher: Return to Big Nothing Page 61 B&W & Blueline Art - This was the 2nd and final Punisher story written by Steven Grant and penciled by Mike Zeck.  They had actually talked about a third story in the trilogy, but unfortunately, it was never made.  
  • Lot #595 - Romita Jr./Vohland Mighty World of Marvel #199 Splash - As rumored, Trimpe's art from this story was severely damaged in a fire many ago so this splash for this 1976 UK reprint of Hulk #181 may be the only page from this story that will come to market. 

Tune in for the auction starting at 7AM ET on Thursday Sept. 20th and going through the day.  Bid in advance or live while the auction is happening.  Register here:

https://propstoreauction.com/signup/index/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fpropstoreauction.com%2Fview-auctions%2Fcatalog%2Fid%2F138%2F%3Fpage%3D2%26key%3D%26cat%3D1767%26xclosed%3Dno%26sale-reg%3D138%23lot548&sale=138

Please let me know if you have questions or difficulty in registering for the auction.  And, note, there is a different registering for Prop Store's mailing list vs. registering for the auction.  If you didn't provide credit card info., then you probably didn't successfully register for the auction.  We'll have people standing by through the auction to help make sure you can bid on the items you want.

Flash129p1.jpg

GI_Joe32_Cover.jpg

Harry Potter Poster.jpg

Hulk_Painting.jpg

Iron Man Painting.jpg

Punisher_Big_Nothing_Page.jpg

MWOM199p1.jpg

2 hours ago, comiconxion said:

I would suggest releasing the catalog sooner as well. As is, we get teased for a month and then have 3 weeks to partake of the entire offering. And to be honest sometimes I need more than 3 weeks to get finds together through sales and what have you. I supposed it does build hype but I would be lying if I didn't find it somewhat frustrating. 

For those that may also be interested in Production Art, there are some amazing Robb Cobb designs in the auction as well.  Cobb did many of the key designs for the DeLorean in Back to the Future as well as for the 1st Conan the Barbarian movie.  Below are some examples of his work in the auction.

You can check out all the production artwork by using this link:

https://propstoreauction.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/138/?page=1&key=&cat=19&xclosed=no

Cobb_Conan4.jpg

Cobb_Conan3.jpg

Cobb_Conan2.jpg

Conn_Conan1.jpg

Cobb_BTTF2.jpg

Cobb_BTTF1.jpg