• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Since when does color touch on cover get a blue lable?

9 posts in this topic

This Pep Comics #31 CGC 4.5 on Ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mlj-Magazine-Pep-Comics-31-CGC-4-5-1942/153158549273?hash=item23a8f5ff19:g:RhcAAOSwEBRbhu72

"Slight color touch on cover."

Why is this not restored?  I know that CGC lets tape and small amounts of glue on cover, but color touch?

I couldn't find a comprehensive list of criteria on CGC to find out what's going on.

Anyone have insight on this?

Keith

I think, in the early days of CGC, to appease owners of Mile High Church comics that had CT, CGC allowed it in Golden Age Books if the CT did not affect the grade. I admit, it's ridiculous, but it has been grand fathered in since Day1 . Your search for a 'comprehensive list of criteria on CGC' is funny because they have no published standards or criteria. 

6 hours ago, SBRobin said:

How did the Church collection have CT? Was it done by someone who purchased from Rozanski? I can't imagine Church was restoring his collection. 

Yes. A purchaser of a good sized chunk of the Mile Highs decided to "mintify" them, very soon after acquiring them, and not leave well enough alone. Spine corner closures (tear seals), and/or color touch, and/or glue. It would be considered amateur resto if graded by purple label standards.

Edited by James J Johnson

I don't recall ever seeing a CGC-graded Edgar Church pedigree comic with tear seals.  Perhaps they are very few in number.  But yes for a small minority on tiny dots of color touch and glue noted on the label.

Edited by namisgr

11 hours ago, namisgr said:

I don't recall ever seeing a CGC-graded Edgar Church pedigree comic with tear seals.  Perhaps they are very few in number.  But yes for a small minority on tiny dots of color touch and glue noted on the label.

The type of tear closures on the Mile Highs are the spine corner tears, due to the machinery that pulls the book through the mechanism. Most Golden age books have them as it took a degree of tension on the arms to manufacture them due to there being twice as many pages as Silver age books. They're that "hanging chad" type of corner, small piece, that's still attached. This is the "tear seal" of which I speak, those corner, triangular shaped hanging pieces being glued back in place. When one thinks of tear seals, it implies a tear, from wear, the byproduct of damage, was closed. I'm pretty sure that when you see, "glue" mentioned on the blue label of a Church copy, it's in reference to this bindery flaw being corrected and not the "traditional" tear seal that CGC typically uses that description for (tear seals, i.e.).

1 hour ago, James J Johnson said:

The type of tear closures on the Mile Highs are the spine corner tears, due to the machinery that pulls the book through the mechanism. Most Golden age books have them as it took a degree of tension on the arms to manufacture them due to there being twice as many pages as Silver age books. They're that "hanging chad" type of corner, small piece, that's still attached. This is the "tear seal" of which I speak, those corner, triangular shaped hanging pieces being glued back in place. When one thinks of tear seals, it implies a tear, from wear, the byproduct of damage, was closed. I'm pretty sure that when you see, "glue" mentioned on the blue label of a Church copy, it's in reference to this bindery flaw being corrected and not the "traditional" tear seal that CGC typically uses that description for (tear seals, i.e.).

Why use glue when you have saliva ? Works well on those corner 'chads' ! :devil:

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Why use glue when you have saliva ? Works well on those corner 'chads' ! :devil:

I think it's because 40 years ago, restoration wasn't the value killing issue to remotely anywhere near to what it is today. The guy that "restored" the Mile Highs that went through his hands wasn't either dumb or unscrupulous, at that time he was one of the hobby's heavy hitters, extremely well-respected, and that respect well-deserved. It was a case of, "These are nearly perfect, let's make them really perfect". The beginning of modern day type existed back then, but it was rare and when occurred didn't kill the value like it does today.

Edited by James J Johnson

On 9/1/2018 at 9:40 PM, Spideyz said:

This Pep Comics #31 CGC 4.5 on Ebay:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mlj-Magazine-Pep-Comics-31-CGC-4-5-1942/153158549273?hash=item23a8f5ff19:g:RhcAAOSwEBRbhu72

"Slight color touch on cover."

Why is this not restored?  I know that CGC lets tape and small amounts of glue on cover, but color touch?

I couldn't find a comprehensive list of criteria on CGC to find out what's going on.

Anyone have insight on this?

Keith

Since CGC opened its doors in 2000, it has had the policy that, at CGC's sole discretion, a book from 1950 or before with an extremely small amount of color touch or glue (e.g. one or two dots) will still get a Blue Universal label. HOWEVER, any color touch or glue detected will still be disclosed on the label, regardless of color.