• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Norem Rampaging Hulk #9 Cover
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Did anyone here notice the Norem Rampaging Hulk #9 cover that was posted on eBay by nicktiiempo005?

First sale:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earl-Norem-painting-framed-AVENGERS-/192643751904?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Second sale (best offer of $2500)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earl-Norem-painting-framed-AVENGERS-/192643751904?nordt=true&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l10137

Everything about this seller seems suspicious to me, but I'm not sure if he's just an amateur at selling art or actually doing something underhanded. The blue-text caveat in lieu of provenance or some attempt to prove authenticity sure seems as if it could be an attempted Get out of Jail Free card for knowingly selling non-original works. Many past listings have a strange sale-relisting behavior. Prices seem to good to be true; I don't have experience with Picassos, but that apparent original sure seems like a screaming deal for $2750. The Hulk cover also seems it's a bargain considering recent auctions such as, https://www.ebay.com/itm/Earl-Norem-Roboto-Original-Art-From-He-Man-And-The-Masters-Of-The-Universe-/332748965244?hash=item4d7962457c%3Ag%3AqdMAAOSwH~ZbVQAc&nma=true&si=u5f0g5cn1hFXreYJfohaQQS%2FD%2FY%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Also does anyone know if Norem ever did art on canvas, as the seller claims? I only know of his finals being done on art board, regardless of gouache or oil.

Thoughts?

I've never seen Norem on canvas, I've seen them on art board and, I believe on masonite, which I only saw on a couple of DC Batman card illustrations. I'd expect all the Hulk and Marvel covers in general to be on art board. 

That Rampaging Hulk #9 cover should be at least triple that starting BIN price, and probably more like 4-5 times. 

Judging from the absurdly fake other items for sale, hedging language and a price tag at a fraction of true FMV...fake fake fake fake fake. 

I know guys who would pay stupid money for the real deal...probably 10x the BIN price for this fraud. 

30 minutes ago, comiconxion said:

A picture of Norem's original painting is online - some subtle differences when you compare them.  Someone did a good job reproducing it, but yes, looks to be a copy.

Rampaging_Hulk_Vol_1_9_Textless.jpg

That's one of the prints he was selling when I saw him in Charlotte at Heroes Con a year or so before he passed. I was looking for my copy of it to compare against the eBay auction. 

19 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Judging from the absurdly fake other items for sale, hedging language and a price tag at a fraction of true FMV...fake fake fake fake fake. 

I know guys who would pay stupid money for the real deal...probably 10x the BIN price for this fraud. 

Agree. I know a couple of collectors (who also check eBay regularly) that are ready, willing and able to cut a big check for that original.  Everything about that seller seems sketchy

I sent a message to the guy last week.

Me: What's the size on this guy? Also is this the prelim or the actual cover? Do you know the process they used on these magazine covers once the pencils were done?

Him:

Its 16 x 21 and with the frame is a bit under 23x28. The art is same size as the painting would be. Norem would do his rough pencils and a color rough prelim. Followed by finished pencils on thin trace paper like this that he would essentially lightbox onto canvas to do the painting. You will find tears corners ripped on the finished pencils due to being taped down and the paper being so thin.. He din't take care of them so the condition is generally an issue. There are people that collect just his finished pencils as the detail can be better than the actual painting. and in some cases the average person will never find/ own the painting.

Thanks for your interest.

1 hour ago, Blastaar said:

Me: What's the size on this guy? Also is this the prelim or the actual cover? Do you know the process they used on these magazine covers once the pencils were done?

Him:

Its 16 x 21 and with the frame is a bit under 23x28. The art is same size as the painting would be. Norem would do his rough pencils and a color rough prelim. Followed by finished pencils on thin trace paper like this that he would essentially lightbox onto canvas to do the painting. You will find tears corners ripped on the finished pencils due to being taped down and the paper being so thin.. He din't take care of them so the condition is generally an issue. There are people that collect just his finished pencils as the detail can be better than the actual painting. and in some cases the average person will never find/ own the painting.

That's A LOT of information about the piece and Norem's process for a guy who puts a blanket disclaimer that basically amounts to a complete lack of knowledge of anything regarding the piece. 

3 hours ago, artcollector9 said:

pretty clear giveaway, this caveat:

So, as it states in Ebay's rules, these are being sold as is, as found, as "in the manner of the artist" or "school of the artist".

Am I the only one that gets this mental image when reading that disclaimer? 

danger-will-robinson-animated-gif-1.gif.a39d5509fdd97c66c29448267082712d.gif

2 hours ago, Blastaar said:

Him:

I kind of love the non sequiturs.  A description of his process.  And how condition is an issue.  But nowhere did he say that the damage was done by norem.  It was taped down, but does not say who taped it down.

He's making leading statements, but very careful to let the reader fill in the blanks 

This is such horse poop, and he's an obvious con artist.

Edited by Pete Marino

1 hour ago, Pete Marino said:

I kind of love the non sequiturs.  A description of his process.  And how condition is an issue.  But nowhere did he say that the damage was done by norem.  It was taped down, but does not say who taped it down.

He's making leading statements, but very careful to let the reader fill in the blanks 

This is such horse poop, and he's an obvious con artist.

He's like the Yogi Bear of con artists - smarter than your average scumbag, but, still, not very smart.