• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting to CGC from Canada

11 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has already been discussed or I have posted in the wrong section of the forum.  I would really like to start submitting comics to CGC over the next year, but I think the whole sending comics from Canada is holding me back.  I have gone to LCS, local shows but either they don’t submit often, don’t do it, or generally seem unreliable.  I would like to start sending some of my top books, but am hesitant to let go lol  Any advice from fellow Canadians?  I know I can go to shows...wanted to go to the one in Toronto this weekend, but once again the weekend has filled up.  Anything I should be aware of before I send?  Do you go through Canada Post, FedEx, Purolator?  Do you have to fill out forms in advance?  Are one of these better and safer?  

Edited by habsfan1

Where do you live?? If you’re close to the GTA, there’s a lot of LCS that’ll submit books for you. A much easier route IMHO. 

If that’s not an option, if you go to Canada Post’s website, there is a  form that’ll you need. I forgot the form number. Essentially the form has to be half filled out by you and CGC. Basically the form is to inform custom that you’re not selling/buying anything but only a service (CGC). This way you won’t get charged/taxed when the book returns to you. 

23 minutes ago, combiner1 said:

Where do you live?? If you’re close to the GTA, there’s a lot of LCS that’ll submit books for you. A much easier route IMHO. 

If that’s not an option, if you go to Canada Post’s website, there is a  form that’ll you need. I forgot the form number. Essentially the form has to be half filled out by you and CGC. Basically the form is to inform custom that you’re not selling/buying anything but only a service (CGC). This way you won’t get charged/taxed when the book returns to you. 

I saw there a list of which shops provide this service available? And do they typically charge a fee for this service?

And can someone provide a link to or a number for this form?

54 minutes ago, combiner1 said:

Thanks for the insight.  I live in Ottawa.  I have considered bringing some down the next time I go that way, but recently that hasn’t been that often.  Also, a little hesitant with some shops if I don’t really know them.  

This form...is there a particular name for it?  Do you include it in the box with the comics?

There is a stickied Canada thread in the ask CGC subforum.  The form is an E-15 (or a B-13) but I don't think either are "required" since a fully detailed submission form with insured values AND your waybill for proof of shipment should be sufficient proof of export.  The E15 requires customs examination prior to export so unless you're there personally I'd avoid letting UPS or the post office handle a customs exam of pricey books and just go with waybill and submission form. 

Last time I submitted was Buffalo onsite and I did the personal version of the E15 and paid taxes on grading fees upon return.  One key to consider is that each tier submitted (when mailing in) will be processed by that tier's timeline and create a return shipment ($$$) so unless CGC is holding stuff to ship back as a consolidated order, you need to anticipate that cost or try to avoid it. 

Edited by bababooey

I've NEVER had to fill out either a E-15 or B-13 form and I've submitted 4 times over the past 5 years.  I've just filled out the paperwork from CGC and completed the on-line shipping information on the Canada Post website.  Never any issues with sending books for appraisal.  That being said, putting the reason as "books sent for appraisal, to be returned" is probably what you want to put for the reason for export.  That being said, the last time I submitted I forgot and put sale of goods and there was still no problem - I'm guessing because the country of origin for the goods was the US.

Thanks for all the responses.  This is very helpful to qualm the fears.  I know I just have to jump in and do it once, and I will be hooked.  I looked at some of the other threads, but this has been more helpful.  I would prefer just to go through Canada Post, without having to fill out extra forms.  I think I will just put "books sent for appraisal, to be returned" as said above, and hope for the best.  Any other experiences positive or negative?

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Thanks for all the responses.  This is very helpful to qualm the fears.  I know I just have to jump in and do it once, and I will be hooked.  I looked at some of the other threads, but this has been more helpful.  I would prefer just to go through Canada Post, without having to fill out extra forms.  I think I will just put "books sent for appraisal, to be returned" as said above, and hope for the best.  Any other experiences positive or negative?

I would suggest sending large submissions rather than bits and pieces. In other words, accumulate what you intend to submit and send it all at once, perhaps, once a year. This will save you some serious $$ on the most expensive part of the process, shipping. Really scrutinize what you're intending to send and why. Sometimes it is simply not worth it unless it is simply personal. 

Plus with the large shipment the excitement is unbearable !!

13 hours ago, topofthetotem said:

I use Joey, he’s the best!

He takes care of everything, even ships books of differing tiers back to me at the same time via a method that will make to my rural Manitoba location. :cloud9:

He do the same for me, in am in Spain. 

Joey service is amazing. 

Edited by marmat